• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indonesian court upholds conviction of Buddhist woman who complained mosque was too loud

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
This one’s a bit dated, but I missed it on April 2019 and still feel that it’s newsworthy.

‘Indonesia's Supreme Court has rejected an appeal by a woman whose complaint about the volume of mosque loudspeakers led to an 18-month prison sentence for blasphemy.’

Read more here: Indonesian court upholds conviction of Buddhist woman who complained mosque was too loud - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
I never thought of Indonesia as being a Muslim run Nation.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I think that's true too. Yet it's an Asian country that touts diversity. I never thought of it before as a Muslim theocracy.
It's not theocracy, but citizens are required to hold to one of the six official religions. Islam, Protestantism, Catholicism, Hinduism, Buddhism or Confucianism. It also has an official ideology called Pancasila, which mandates monotheism. So on paper at least, Balinese Hindus are required to be monotheistic as per the state ideology.

dybmh

דניאל יוסף בן מאיר הירש
From the article:

"Senior members of Nahdlatul Ulama, the country's largest Muslim organisation, have said her remarks should not be considered blasphemy."