• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indigenous Science

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Not that I did dismiss as superstition in
the way you suggest, or that, you idea is more than half baked.
Still, I think there's much to it that is worth
working through, so I will rate your dismissal
as comparably half baked

So is your rating scientific? What is your evidence? Please present that.

RestlessSoul

What does science say?

Science is a systemic study of natural phenomena, it doesn’t say anything about it’s own philosophical or ontological implications. It’s up to individual scientists and philosophers to do that. Here’s theoretical physicist Anthony Aguirre;

“We break things down into smaller and smaller pieces, but then the pieces, when we examine them, are not there. Just the arrangements of them are…if things are forms of forms of forms, and if forms are order, and order is defined by us…they exist, it would appear, only as created by, and in relation to, us and the universe. They are, as the Buddha might say, emptiness.”

Audie

Veteran Member
Science is a systemic study of natural phenomena, it doesn’t say anything about it’s own philosophical or ontological implications. It’s up to individual scientists and philosophers to do that. Here’s theoretical physicist Anthony Aguirre;

“We break things down into smaller and smaller pieces, but then the pieces, when we examine them, are not there. Just the arrangements of them are…if things are forms of forms of forms, and if forms are order, and order is defined by us…they exist, it would appear, only as created by, and in relation to, us and the universe. They are, as the Buddha might say, emptiness.”
That appears to be true of particle physics.

And so....?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion

And so....?

No, that also goes for things in the macro world, because a thing is a certain way to categorize experiences as it relates to metaphysics and ontology. But it is not the only way to do that and there are combination of science and philosophy that don't require the concept of things.

RestlessSoul

And so....?

And so nothing is ever quite as it seems. Our experience of the world around us is often quite illusory. This much became apparent on the grand scale, when humanity collectively accepted that the sun neither rises in the east nor sets in the west.

Audie

Veteran Member
And so nothing is ever quite as it seems. Our experience of the world around us is often quite illusory. This much became apparent on the grand scale, when humanity collectively accepted that the sun neither rises in the east nor sets in the west.
Maybe it's more that we are perceived little, and mistake the part for the whole.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I am in no hurry, are you? I do not mind if I do not get the answers in my life time. Future generations will know. My grandpa did not know about Quantum Mechanics. Did not hinder him in anything. It is not difficult to live with uncertainties. Why should we hanker after answers here and now?

RestlessSoul

Then we have two options: 1. Wait for science to find out, or 2. Say 'Goddidit'.

Breaking down things to smaller and smaller pieces, I get 'space / energy'.

That’s some faith you have, in science’s capacity to reveal truths about nature. But can science ever tell you why we are here, or indeed why anything is? Can it tell you why the universe goes to all the trouble of existing?

RestlessSoul

Maybe it's more that we are perceived little, and mistake the part for the whole.

The reductionist mindset, prevalent in “post enlightenment” Europe, and now perhaps the world, sees a universe composed of a plurality of discrete things, but easily loses sight of the whole altogether.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
That’s some faith you have, in science’s capacity to reveal truths about nature. But can science ever tell you why we are here .. or indeed why anything is? Can it tell you why the universe goes to all the trouble of existing?
Yes. There is no other way.
Oh yes, science tells us why we are here. Chemical reactions right from the self-duplicating molecules to animals and humans.
I cannot answer why anything is here. That may be answered in future. Perhaps existence and non-existence are two phases of space/energy.
The reductionist mindset, prevalent in “post enlightenment” Europe, and now perhaps the world, sees a universe composed of a plurality of discrete things, but easily loses sight of the whole altogether.
No. In my belief (Advaita Hinduism), there is no duality. The name itself means absolute non-duality without any exception.