• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indifference to one's own religion

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
To my mind, if someone is able to be indifferent to their religion, it isn't really their religion anyway. It's a superficial label they apply to themselves that doesn't really represent their culture or way of life. Religion done right is who and what you are. So unless you are indifferent to yourself and your own existence, there is no being indifferent about your way of life. This probably isn't the sort of thing the OP was talking about, though.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Only initiates and novices who are at the beginning of their spiritual journey in Dharma are attached to its cultural or social rituals/practices in a way that seeks egoistic affirmation through showcasing these beliefs in society.

ELI5: "Newbies and converts are the worst". :D

Audie

Veteran Member
It’s strange that you imagine there is “so much hostility” towards religion when you know most people are indifferent. :cool:

That depends on what you mean by “own religion”. I’m somewhat biased but I consider religion to be unique and individual. One person who identifies as (for example) Catholic won’t necessarily have anything in common with lots of other Catholics or, significantly, the senior leaders of the Catholic faith. Pride in how you personally practice your beliefs is entirely different to pride in the wider practice of your faith by all its adherents.

That said, I’m not convinced pride is a good thing in the latter context. I have the same opinion about things like National Pride too.

I think many people are brought up in a religious background (if only nominally) that would then be recognised as “their religion” without them personally considering and accepting all that religion involves. The added complexity of wide scale communications means that both the image of any given religion is much deeper and wider than it was in the past and information about all the possible alternatives is more readily available. Any religion would be a hard sell with all that information and competition.

"all this hostility"=psychological projection

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Of course, a newbie can be one who has been a Hindu/Buddhist for merely a few lifetimes. ;)

And considering we can't remember the past, we're doomed to repeat it. :D Maybe I'll get it right this time. :D

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Isn't it strange that there is so much hostility toward religion when the majority of its people are indifferent to it?

So some might say, "Good. They are being appropriate not showcasing their beliefs."

And others will accuse them, "Do they even believe?"

Is it bad or good or neither to be proud of one's own religion? If one isn't at all proud does that mean they are indifferent?

Mainly, what do you think of this attitude of indifference that some have to their own religion?

I feel one should be proud of their religion. If a belief is making you a good person, helping you with your actions, and life's direction, why not be proud rather than ashamed. Some people are humble and other personalities are more open. Being prideful can be taken as egotism; however, if one is shamed because they don't want to have pride for their faith, I wonder how much their religion harms their spiritual and mental life. If one is humble instead of pride, I think that puts more emphasis on other people and not on self. Which a lot of religions teach.

Indifferent? I see many people as introverts. Others have been with their religion so long that it's second nature to them. I guess to them being proud means pride and ego. I don't see it as if they think their faith or have you is not important. Just, sometimes I wonder if they only want to see the humility part of life without balancing it with other parts that make one alive. Depends on culture too. Most definitely.

sooda

Veteran Member
Your personal religion, your particular denomination or Christianity in general?

Christianity in general.. There are lots of contradictions and anachronisms in the Bible. Of course they could be translation errors made when the stories of Judah and Israel were cobbled together in the time of King Omri.

I am of the opinion to take it easy and never let religion make you nuts. Over the ages zealots seem to have done a lot of damage.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I feel one should be proud of their religion. If a belief is making you a good person, helping you with your actions, and life's direction, why not be proud rather than ashamed. Some people are humble and other personalities are more open. Being prideful can be taken as egotism; however, if one is shamed because they don't want to have pride for their faith, I wonder how much their religion harms their spiritual and mental life. If one is humble instead of pride, I think that puts more emphasis on other people and not on self. Which a lot of religions teach.

Indifferent? I see many people as introverts. Others have been with their religion so long that it's second nature to them. I guess to them being proud means pride and ego. I don't see it as if they think their faith or have you is not important. Just, sometimes I wonder if they only want to see the humility part of life without balancing it with other parts that make one alive. Depends on culture too. Most definitely.
A middle way is best. Say "friendly confidence".

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Mainly, what do you think of this attitude of indifference that some have to their own religion?

If they are indifferent, maybe they need to find a religion that interests them. Or maybe drop religion altogether.

I don't know about having pride in one's belief unless they are the founder, unless they created it themselves. Jesus maybe have pride in what his belief has become, don't know why Christians/followers then take pride in someone else's work.

Last edited:

Remté

If they are indifferent, maybe they need to find a religion that interests them. Or maybe drop religion altogether.

I don't know about having pride in one's belief unless they are the founder, unless they created it themselves. Jesus maybe have pride in what his belief has become, don't know why Christians/followers when take pride in someone else's work.
They would probably be taking pride in following it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
They would probably be taking pride in following it.

Sure, I guess. Like some football fans take pride in their team. This pride in other people's work is just something I'll never understand.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Here's an analogy:

Is it appropriate to be proud of one's spouse?

You may find your wife the most beautiful person in the world. The most interesting, the funnest to be with, etc. And, that is probably a good thing if you do.

But, should you go out and tell everyone *else* how wonderful your wife is? Should you tell others that their wife just can't compare to yours?

Or, should you simply show how wonderful she is by showing how happy you are to be with her?

Being proud of your religion can become like the one who tells everyone else how wonderful his wife is and how all others are less.

That, understandably, meets with some disagreement.

Thats a lousy religion you describe. Just saying!

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Isn't it strange that there is so much hostility toward religion when the majority of its people are indifferent to it?
So some might say, "Good. They are being appropriate not showcasing their beliefs."
And others will accuse them, "Do they even believe?"
Is it bad or good or neither to be proud of one's own religion? If one isn't at all proud does that mean they are indifferent?

I am grateful that I found such a wonderful Spiritual Path. I am not proud at all about that. I did not invent it, so I can't think why to be proud.
I can be enthousiastic about it, that makes more sense than being proud for me.

Indifference would not make me happy. Probably indifference happens when one has no personal experience, when it is just bookish knowledge. At least for me, without my own experiences, I would not be interested in the Spiritual Path.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member

I don't know; which scope are you talking about? At first glance your statement may well be directly self-contradictory, after all.

HonestJoe

Christianity in general.. There are lots of contradictions and anachronisms in the Bible. Of course they could be translation errors made when the stories of Judah and Israel were cobbled together in the time of King Omri.
That’s my point. Why would you ever expect to be proud of Christianity as a whole in the first place? It’s not as if you have any connection, influence or responsibility on the vast, vast majority of all that is deemed Christian, especially if you include history. If it were a matter of pride, you’d have to either take immediate direct action to improve the entirety of Christian or you’d distance yourself from the whole. If you’re looking at it like this, you wouldn’t be talking about “not feeling pride” in Christianity, you’d be feeling “extreme, unabashed shame”.

sooda

Veteran Member
That’s my point. Why would you ever expect to be proud of Christianity as a whole in the first place? It’s not as if you have any connection, influence or responsibility on the vast, vast majority of all that is deemed Christian, especially if you include history. If it were a matter of pride, you’d have to either take immediate direct action to improve the entirety of Christian or you’d distance yourself from the whole. If you’re looking at it like this, you wouldn’t be talking about “not feeling pride” in Christianity, you’d be feeling “extreme, unabashed shame”.

That's a bit simplistic IMO.

HonestJoe

That's a bit simplistic IMO.
Quite the opposite. The concept of “Christianity” (and many other religious categories) as a singular concept is simplistic, especially in a historical context. I don’t believe there is anything that can be legitimately said of all Christianity throughout history (beyond its implicit definition) so I don’t see how anyone could hold a singular position of pride (or shame) about it.