• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Indifference to one's own religion

Remté

Isn't it strange that there is so much hostility toward religion when the majority of its people are indifferent to it?

So some might say, "Good. They are being appropriate not showcasing their beliefs."

And others will accuse them, "Do they even believe?"

Is it bad or good or neither to be proud of one's own religion? If one isn't at all proud does that mean they are indifferent?

Mainly, what do you think of this attitude of indifference that some have to their own religion?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Taking once religious belief seriously without being proud of what one believe in, does not make one indiference does it?
As a buddhist why would i say i am proud of being a buddhist? it is the path i follow, and i have no doubt in the teaching. but being proud? no i cant say i am

HonestJoe

Isn't it strange that there is so much hostility toward religion when the majority of its people are indifferent to it?
It’s strange that you imagine there is “so much hostility” towards religion when you know most people are indifferent. :cool:

Is it bad or good or neither to be proud of one's own religion? If one isn't at all proud does that mean they are indifferent?
That depends on what you mean by “own religion”. I’m somewhat biased but I consider religion to be unique and individual. One person who identifies as (for example) Catholic won’t necessarily have anything in common with lots of other Catholics or, significantly, the senior leaders of the Catholic faith. Pride in how you personally practice your beliefs is entirely different to pride in the wider practice of your faith by all its adherents.

That said, I’m not convinced pride is a good thing in the latter context. I have the same opinion about things like National Pride too.

Mainly, what do you think of this attitude of indifference that some have to their own religion?
I think many people are brought up in a religious background (if only nominally) that would then be recognised as “their religion” without them personally considering and accepting all that religion involves. The added complexity of wide scale communications means that both the image of any given religion is much deeper and wider than it was in the past and information about all the possible alternatives is more readily available. Any religion would be a hard sell with all that information and competition.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

So some might say, "Good. They are being appropriate not showcasing their beliefs."

The internet is not representative. Most people are not chatting about religion on social media. Most people are probably not indifferent, either.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Here's an analogy:

Is it appropriate to be proud of one's spouse?

You may find your wife the most beautiful person in the world. The most interesting, the funnest to be with, etc. And, that is probably a good thing if you do.

But, should you go out and tell everyone *else* how wonderful your wife is? Should you tell others that their wife just can't compare to yours?

Or, should you simply show how wonderful she is by showing how happy you are to be with her?

Being proud of your religion can become like the one who tells everyone else how wonderful his wife is and how all others are less.

That, understandably, meets with some disagreement.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
For example?
I think you'll find that if anyone at all says that, it'll be another believer.
Is it bad or good or neither to be proud of one's own religion?
This reminds me of Groucho not wanting to belong to a club that would accept him as a member.

If you're not proud of your religion, or any other group you associate yourself with, then I think you have three choices. The worst is to do nothing about it, just let things dribble on. The second is to push yourself to the front and see if you can make changes that satisfy you. The third is to leave and make another plan.
If one isn't at all proud does that mean they are indifferent?
If one hangs around, just putting up with things one doesn't particularly like, indifference is one possible explanation, but there are others, including depression, not rocking the domestic boat, actual or hoped for financial or other advantage, and so on.

Remté

Here's an analogy:

Is it appropriate to be proud of one's spouse?

You may find your wife the most beautiful person in the world. The most interesting, the funnest to be with, etc. And, that is probably a good thing if you do.

But, should you go out and tell everyone *else* how wonderful your wife is? Should you tell others that their wife just can't compare to yours?

Or, should you simply show how wonderful she is by showing how happy you are to be with her?

Being proud of your religion can become like the one who tells everyone else how wonderful his wife is and how all others are less.

That, understandably, meets with some disagreement.
I don't think that's a good compairson.

Remté

OK, why not? It seems quite apt to me, so I'd like to know what you see as flawed in it.
The way your example sees a woman is like an ornament. While religious person usually has a deeper idea of their religion. Also a religious person will find people from their own religion to commune with while no one probably wants to share their wife.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The way your example sees a woman is like an ornament. While religious person usually has a deeper idea of their religion. Also a religious person will find people from their own religion to commune with while no one probably wants to share their wife.

Some don't mind....

So, feel free to be proud of your religion around others that agree with you. But telling everyone else that theirs isn't as good as yours will lead to problems, usually.

sooda

Veteran Member
It’s strange that you imagine there is “so much hostility” towards religion when you know most people are indifferent. :cool:

That depends on what you mean by “own religion”. I’m somewhat biased but I consider religion to be unique and individual. One person who identifies as (for example) Catholic won’t necessarily have anything in common with lots of other Catholics or, significantly, the senior leaders of the Catholic faith. Pride in how you personally practice your beliefs is entirely different to pride in the wider practice of your faith by all its adherents.

That said, I’m not convinced pride is a good thing in the latter context. I have the same opinion about things like National Pride too.

I think many people are brought up in a religious background (if only nominally) that would then be recognised as “their religion” without them personally considering and accepting all that religion involves. The added complexity of wide scale communications means that both the image of any given religion is much deeper and wider than it was in the past and information about all the possible alternatives is more readily available. Any religion would be a hard sell with all that information and competition.

I think my religion is quite flawed.. Hard to be proud of it.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

Sometimes affectionate detachment, or a quiet demeanor can be interpreted as indifference. Most people aren't mind readers. To interpret that as being embarrassed of one's faith may just be a false interpretation. One need need not wear a 'I'm a proud _______!" on their sleeve. There is also a quiet proud, called confidence.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Both Hinduism and Buddhism teaches detachment from worldly things and mental habits that fuels ones egoistic identity. This includes attachment to the very ideology of the said religion itself. Only initiates and novices who are at the beginning of their spiritual journey in Dharma are attached to its cultural or social rituals/practices in a way that seeks egoistic affirmation through showcasing these beliefs in society. Obviously that's most people, which is okay. But as one matures in the path, such needs for displays are left behind as the drive of ego itself unravels.
As the sun that is the Ultimate Brahman shines forth in the sky of ones Self, what need remains of holding on to the little candle that is one's ego-habits, group identities and beliefs? They have fulfilled their task in lighting the way when the sky was dark with ignorance. Now let that candle go, and walk into the daylight with fearless confidence that clear vision grants.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know if 'proud' is the right word. I'd say 'happy with' or 'fulfilled', or even 'comforted'.