1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

India's Kumbh festival attracts big crowds amid devastating second Covid wave

Discussion in 'Religious News' started by sun rise, Apr 17, 2021.

1. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +26,610
    Religion:
    Love
    Given the explosion of COVID cases in India with rapidly increasing deaths, I see that the same insistence on religious rituals that exist in the USA exist in India as well. India COVID: 14,766,378 Cases and 177,009 Deaths - Worldometer Given the difficulty in testing/tracking that was in evidence in the US, there's no way that rural India can be doing as well as the US so the actual case count and death toll is undoubtedly higher, probably much higher.

Capture.PNG

India's Kumbh festival attracts big crowds amid devastating second Covid wave

This past week, as India grapples with a devastating second wave of the coronavirus, millions of devotees have descended on the banks of the Ganges river in the northern city of Haridwar to take a dip in the water.

Hindus believe the river is holy and taking a dip in it will cleanse them of their sins and bring salvation.

But the government of Uttarakhand state, where Haridwar is located, is facing heavy criticism for allowing the Kumbh Mela festival to go ahead amid a sharply worsening Covid picture. On Thursday, India reported more than 200,000 Covid cases for the first time since the pandemic began.

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. RestlessSoul

RestlessSoul Active Member

Ratings:
    +347
    They also packed the Narendra Modi Stadium for another Indian religious practice, the T20 cricket series vs England. Following a surge in infections in Ahmenabad after the first 2 matches, the remaining fixtures were played behind closed doors.

• Informative Informative x 2
  3. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +17,192
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    I heard today that the largest group of naga sadhus went home. Many were infected.

• Informative Informative x 2
  4. SomeRandom

SomeRandom Still learning to be wise
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +7,746
    Imo it is Adharmic to attend such festivals amid pandemics. To do so puts your community at risk, cleansing river or not

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. darkskies

darkskies Active Member

Ratings:
    +382
    Religion:
    None
    People have forgotten all about the pandemic ever since the end of the lockdown, and again since the vaccine came out as well.

6. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +10,870
    Religion:
    Atheist, Advaita (Non-duality), Orthodox Hindu
    Yeah, even the largest of Akharas (Religious Orders), the Juna Akhara, has returned. Niranjani Akhara lost its chief to Corona.
    It was wrong to promote Kumbha festival this time. Of course, elections (in five states) had to be held on time. :)
    @aketo, lock-downs are back in India and the situation is worse than in the first wave. My son, my youngest grandson and myself have been reported as +ve, and are quarantined in our rooms (Myself and grandson together. We are having a nice time).

#6 Aupmanyav, Apr 18, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  7. sun rise

sun rise "This is the Hour of God"
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +26,610
    Religion:
    Love
    I hope you all recover easily with no severe symptoms.