1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured India: Muslim Teenager in UP Arrested Under 'Love Jihad' Law for Walking With a Hindu Friend

Discussion in 'Religious News' started by danieldemol, Dec 28, 2020.

1. danieldemol

danieldemol Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +3,791
    Religion:
    Spiritual but not religious
    'A Muslim teenager from Uttar Pradesh’s Bijnor has been arrested under the state’s new ‘anti-conversion’ law after he walked home from a birthday party with his former classmate, a Dalit girl.

The 16-year-old girl has repeatedly said that all allegations of ‘love jihad‘ are completely false, and that the boy was a friend of hers. “I have told this to the magistrate, and I will say this again. Those men had a problem with me walking with my friend. They made videos of me and are now calling it love jihad. I did nothing wrong. I went of my own free will,” she told the Indian Express.

On the night of December 14, at around 10 pm, the two were walking home from a friend’s birthday party when they were allegedly chased by a group of right-wing Hindu men, beaten with sticks and questioned. On learning that the two belonging to two different religions, the group forced them to go to a police station, the newspaper reported.'

Read more here: Muslim Teenager in UP Arrested Under 'Love Jihad' Law for Walking With a Hindu Friend

• Informative Informative x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +13,407
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    Its incredible on how India, a country that I once regarded as being a world spiritual superpower with no equal, has utterly and completely destroyed that once held dearly view.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Conscious thoughts

Conscious thoughts Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +8,461
    Religion:
    Osmanli Nakshibedi Way, Sufism
    It is sad to read this story. It show how wrong people can understand the spiritual life of people and their religion. Those who did wrong here was the adults, who thought two young people was who did nothing against any religion was criminals...

Islamic law have become so twisted in part of this world. Sound like those men do not know what jihad means.

#3 Conscious thoughts, Dec 28, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Lyndon

Lyndon "Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,116
    Religion:
    Theism+Jesus(pbuh) influenced by....... Taoism and Buddhism
    Its not Islamic law, its Hindu law, educate yourself.

5. Conscious thoughts

Ratings:
    +8,461
    Religion:
    Thank you for reminding me of that I have more to learn and understand:)

• Winner Winner x 2
  6. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +60,398
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Hmmm....I never thought of them that way.
    Caste system & religious violence seemed
    very backward.

• Like Like x 3
  7. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,518
    Religion:
    None
    True, but in this case it's primarily Hindu extremists imposing the laws and a Muslim boy being punished.

• Like Like x 3
  8. Twilight Hue

Twilight Hue The gentle embrace of twilight has become my guide

Ratings:
    +13,407
    Religion:
    Philosophical Buddhism
    The rose colored glasses I used to wear with great fondness, has since been thoroughly broken into little itty bitty pieces.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Conscious thoughts

Ratings:
    +8,461
    Religion:
    Honestly, i do know to little about hindu law to speak about it :) this is a reason why my focus was on islamic law.
    In this case maybe that was wrong to do :)
    @Lyndon was altso kind to remind me of this.

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  10. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,209
    Religion:
    Sanathana Dharma [The Eternal Religion]
    I see this simply as Karma:
    * Actions of Religious fanatics (violent acts) create reactions (fanatic rules) to balance things out ... and it might take as long as Religious fanatics learn the lesson
    * The cause of the problem is "Religious Fanatics", this should be the focus. Solve this and the strict rules will be solved too. Try solving symptoms is no use

Religious extremism I see as a virus (like Corona). When we don't constrain the virus from the start, strict Lockdown is needed later

#10 stvdv, Dec 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Revoltingest

Revoltingest I have the kavorka
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +60,398
    Religion:
    Atheist
    Tis better that way.
    The only thing belonging on a pedestal is empty space.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jayhawker Soule

Jayhawker Soule <yawn> ignore </yawn>
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +14,249
    Religion:
    Judaism
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,478
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    Hopefully the judge will toss it out of court, based on the young girl's testimony.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Jaiket

Jaiket Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,283
    Religion:
    Something else
    Or how the far-right, in cahoots with religious conservatives, continue to ruin everything.

• Winner Winner x 3
  15. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,478
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    Here's an in depth article on love jihad. Personally, I think we'll see a few more instances of over-reaction by authorities. In this article the high courts analyzed 94 cases, and found 23 to be guilty.

In Islam there has always been an 'it's okay' attitude for men to marry outside Islam, but a ban on women marrying outside. I believe this is a result of patriarchy all around. It's the woman that has to convert, sadly demonstrative of chauvinism.

One question that arises is if the marriage (or pre-marriage) is truly love, why can't the young man convert to the woman's faith? That would clearly show it's love.

In any case, the anti-Hindu press will have a field day finding and focusing on examples that confirm their bias. In other words, we're sure to hear about the 23 guilty, but not about the 71 not guilty cases.

Love Jihad: Loving for religion

#15 Vinayaka, Dec 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Conscious thoughts

Ratings:
    +8,461
    Religion:
    A good reply, and i found a lot of good the link too :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,209
    Religion:
    The article is blocked in my country (Holland)

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,209
    Religion:
    Good point. In Islam a Muslima is not allowed to change her religion when marrying a non-Muslim man (I don't know about marrying a non-muslim woman). That seems racism to me. Now It seems that in India (Hinduism) they try to implement a similar Law. Does seem fair to me, both having the same racism Law.

Now Islam and Hinduism can sit around one table and come to the best and most fair solution (solves racism):
    "Muslima and Hinduma can both convert to another religion"

#18 stvdv, Dec 28, 2020
  19. Vinayaka

Vinayaka devotee
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +16,478
    Religion:
    Saivite Hindu
    The Indian law isn't targeting any one religion. It targets the principle. In Kerala, where there is a large Christian minority, Christian churches have also complained about Love Jihad by Muslims. So it isn't just a Hindu-Muslim thing. Muslim parents would also have the right to complain (perhaps obviously) if their daughter was targeted by a Sikh, a Hindu, a Christian, etc.

The spread of religion has been aided in this way throughout history. In North America, the original Europeans often married indigenous women. In Canada the result is called Metis, and the result is a mix of Christianity and indigenous beliefs. It's not really some new idea to kill the men and marry the women.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. stvdv

stvdv Veteran Member

Ratings:
    +6,209
    Religion:
    It does seem to target Muslims though, because of the name they use "Love Jihad". Saying that it protects Muslimas also, does not take that away IMO. Muslimas are already protected by their religion, but it's good they are protected by Law too. BUT they better use another name.

But it's good information you give, that it's not targeting one religion; it targets the principle, being "enforce religion on women".

My initial thought was "it is not about racism at all". The problem here is the "evangelism principle". And that is exactly what Hinduism is all about "do not evangelize". So India acts Dharmic with their new Law. And when the evangelizing Religions stop Adharma then the Law won't be needed anymore.

And this example also clearly shows that evangelism principle is the root cause of all this.

#20 stvdv, Dec 28, 2020
    • Like Like x 3