• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

India extends its lock-down

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
India today extended its 21-day lock-down by another 19 days (till May 3). Well, the lock-down here in village area may not be more than a farce.
Active cases: 8978, Deaths: 358, Recovery: 1205

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
India today extended its 21-day lock-down by another 19 days (till May 3). Well, the lock-down here in village area may not be more than a farce.
Active cases: 8978, Deaths: 358, Recovery: 1205

I wonder how much testing is taking place.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
How does testing affect anything? When we hear that there are cases in some places, we send teams there. Sometimes put those regions in quarantine or curfew (depending upon the severity of the situation). Why should we do general testing in places where there are no reports of the virus?* Mobilizing the resources in right manner. We have enough material to test for six weeks, about 100,000 beds in hospitals, and no shortage of food supply.
* With a population exceeding 1,380 million spread over cities, towns and 500,000 villages.

Last edited:

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
How does testing affect anything? When we hear that there are cases in some places, we send teams there. Sometimes put those regions in quarantine or curfew (depending upon the severity of the situation). Why should we do general testing in places where there are no reports of the virus? Mobilizing the resources in right manner. We have enough material to test for six weeks, about 100,000 beds in hospitals, and no shortage of food supply.

If only a small select group is tested then the figures can be very misleading.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
The dead don't mislead. They are still surprisingly low in India. Maybe God's Grace... or Total Lockdown.... or...

Unfortunately if they haven't been tested they aren't counted as coronavirus in the statistics. It's happening everywhere but particularly in countries with low testing rates.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Unfortunately if they haven't been tested they aren't counted as coronavirus in the statistics. It's happening everywhere but particularly in countries with low testing rates.
True. But also, tests are quite expensive. 1 test will provide food for maybe 1 week?month for 1 family. And testing is done to gain more knowledge about the virus. Maybe best that the rich countries do the testing, and hurry to find a vaccin, while poor countries try to keep their death minimal.

And, for these countries we have to look at the total death compared with previous years. If there is a huge increase it might be corona. But as corona accounts for a small percentage of total death (sofar), this won't be accurate.

Even more important, the world should force China to stop the wet-market business allegedly causing the virus outbreaks. China just opened these wet markets again. as if they enjoy spreading it (and the fear for it). But maybe it's just some "fake news" to spread some extra fear. But if this is true, I call China sick, opening wet markets while the West gets killed because of the virus which originated in Wuhan. Unless of course the Chinese told the truth "USA started the corona virus in Wuhan".

I don't know what/who to believe anymore ... it's not that America/Trump never lies.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Yeah, the test with private labs costs around USD 60, which might cover the cost of food for a family of three for a month. The poor get food items at subsidized rates. We do not fudge figures. The statistics provided by government of India are fairly correct. Alert media (some pro-government, some anti-government, some reporting briskly just for more clientele) reports even a single infection or death on a minute-to-minute basis.

"Recently, the government has allowed NABL-accreditated private laboratories to conduct the tests to cope up with the pressure. But these private labs should not charge more than Rs 4,500."
Coronavirus: Govt allows private labs to conduct tests for Covid-19, caps cost at Rs 4,500

"Free test for coronavirus will be available only to the poorest, the Supreme Court said today, leaving the government to decide who else should get the benefit."
Coronavirus - Free Coronavirus Testing Only For Poor, Says Supreme Court

Last edited: