• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

India courts : Same sex marriage Legalities of

JIMMY12345

The ancient Indian text Kamasutra written by Vātsyāyana dedicates a complete chapter on erotic homosexual behaviour. Historical literary evidence indicates that homosexuality has been prevalent across the Indian subcontinent throughout history, and that homosexuals were not necessarily considered inferior in any way until about 18th century during British colonial rule.[2]

However, previously under the Islamic law of Fatawa-e-Alamgiri, the Mughal Empire mandated a common set of punishments for homosexuality, which could include 50 lashes for a slave, 100 for a free infidel, or death by stoning for a Muslim.(Source :Wikipedia)
I am hoping the many Indian forum readers.Especially from different political parties will post their views.The highly regarded Indian courts debate the possibility of legalising same sex marriage starting today.The BJP and Islamic fundamentalists are locked in a tight embrace and joined at the hip in mutually fierce opposition to this.Comments please with reasons.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Thank you for sharing. Interesting and good to know

The "funny" thing is, that Christianity and Islam blinded by their spiritual arrogance (my faith is superior than Hindu Faith) have proven by this that Hindu Faith is more pure (less judgmental)

I do hope Indian courts stick to their roots, not following the West and Middle East being both so inhumane and disrespectful judgmental, and allow homosexual behavior

JIMMY12345

Thank you for sharing. Interesting and good to know

The "funny" thing is, that Christianity and Islam blinded by their spiritual arrogance (my faith is superior than Hindu Faith) have proven by this that Hindu Faith is more pure (less judgmental)

I do hope Indian courts stick to their roots, not following the West and Middle East being both so inhumane and disrespectful judgmental, and allow homosexual behavior
Silence gives consent .However I suspect both camps for and against. I wish they would post with reasons.
Note marriage does not have to be about the physical .It can be a meeting of intellectual minds. One notable Prime Minister of India was married. To the envy of some married (men and women) he make an executive decision and walked away.This with the canny ability of a superb politician and escape artist. The wife sighed as she lost a brilliant husband and probably a political dynasty. However this PM devoted himself selflessly to the service of India. He swept away a lot of the corruption and systems operated more efficiently. The point is generation of children is NOT the raison d'etre of all human existence.

All humans are female in the first few weeks of life until hormones generate males. Younger people are more comfortable in that they have studies science. Differences and variance are not an aberration but necessary. Eg genes/sickle cell malaria protection.

Finally the Great Mahatma Gandhi was cruelly thrown of a first class train in S Africa. He fought blind prejudice in all guises. Why would anyone Buddhist, Christian, Hindu ,Muslim ,Jewish et al question the wisdom of God's will and his creation? .God knows what he is doing. It is good.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I agree completely with that. Celibate God devoted life trumps indulging in sex (if your goal is Self Realization)
Hindus only rarely have celibate Gods, Hanuman is an example. Some of them are polygamists. Lord Vishnu has two wives, Lakshmi and Bhudevi. Lord Ganesha has two, Riddhi and Siddhi. Lord Kartikeya (Murugan) has two, Devasena and Valli. Krishna had the most, eight: Rukmini, Satyabhama, Jambavati, Kalindi, Mitravinda, Nagnajiti, Bhadra, and Lakshmana.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
Hindus only rarely have celibate Gods, Hanuman is an example. Some of them are polygamists. Lord Vishnu has two wives, Lakshmi and Bhudevi. Lord Ganesha has two, Riddhi and Siddhi. Lord Kartikeya (Murugan) has two, Devasena and Valli. Krishna had the most, eight: Rukmini, Satyabhama, Jambavati, Kalindi, Mitravinda, Nagnajiti, Bhadra, and Lakshmana.
I was not talking about God being celibate
BUT I see my English was a bit short

I said "celibate God devoted life..."
Short for:):
"If I (or other humans) lead a celibate life devoted to God"

But true, quite a few Hindu Gods don't lead a celibate life.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
The Hindu Sun God too has two wives:
Sanjna (Sanskrit: Saṃjñā), also known as Saranyu (Sanskrit: Saraṇyū), and
Chhāyā (lit:  'shadow' or 'shade').

Last edited:

JIMMY12345

I agree completely with that. Celibate God devoted life trumps indulging in sex (if your goal is Self Realization)
Thank you for your posts.However we can confidently the outcome of the Indian Court decision.A resounding no.Its like molecules or Quantum mechanics.You have an old generation of Judges and lawyers in India.They have no education or grounding in Science.It will change but it will take a new generation of younger and roundly educated lawyers.The same principal applies to Science the old people do not get it.The young scientists will introduce change.

JIMMY12345

Marriage is about money.
Good point about money.Two major telecommunications giants from the West have announced plans to launch in India.Mr Modi a brilliant man has wisely ignored these firms firm commitment to LGBQ rights.
Countries do what I would do.Dump your principals.Just grab the money.A anti LGBQ stance will frighten of investors.Safer to keep investing in Europe and USA then risk tarnishing your companies reputation and losing sales in the West.