• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

incompatible

syo

It is generally thought of as a myth. I don't see those myths are logical. Ancestors thought other things, too, and generally speaking, those myths have been abandoned. Going into the story of the Greek/Roman gods, it doesn't make sense. It's almost like a cartoon story. Are you on any mind-altering drugs that take you into a spacey different realm of consciousness? I am not kidding and I hope you don't think I'm being funny, I'm not. The myths of Zeus-Jupiter, etc., are man-made, don't make much sense.
I disagree. the ancient Gods are real. our ancestors are not stupid. :)

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
How is the ancient Gods are real and not made up, when virtually all historical sources recognize they were myths, in other words, symbolic ideas trying to explain life. There are other myths, too, including Egyptian and Norse gods. I haven't gone into them too much, and I'm not saying it's not interesting, but do you believe there were any other god-myths BEFORE Greek culture ideas were developed?

YoursTrue

By the way, you and I are alive today. (I think we're both alive as I write this.) The ancients have died, some of their ideas continued, others did not.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I wouldn't think so. Someone was very kind to me recently, offered me her umbrella when she saw I didn't have one. She was wearing a hat, I was not, it was raining. I didn't know her and I really appreciated her kindness. Not everyone is like that. It made me feel very happy to know that someone was that kind and helpful to me. I try to help strangers when I can, for instance, if I see someone having trouble getting packages out of the shopping cart into their car, I offer to help. Every little bit we can do to help others makes our lives not boring but more pleasant.

So you would prefer a world where everyone agreed with @URAVIP2ME ?

YoursTrue

So you would prefer a world where everyone agreed with @URAVIP2ME ?
I don't understand the question, for several reasons. I believe we were speaking about the "Golden Rule." Do you believe the world would be a better place if we all practiced applying the Golden Rule (Do to others as you would have them do to you?)

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
I'm incompatible with the whole concept of separate(d) religions and also with their Vedic or non-Tantric aspects.
To be more specific, I'm incompatible with mythical thinking, with dogmatic scriptural authority pushing irrational ways of thinking, with praying God for favours (to want to change His mind about how He runs the universe), with any type of religious ritualism performed by priests or by myself, with the rejection of scientific thought for whatever reason, with dogmatic atheism.

YoursTrue

To be more specific, I'm incompatible with mythical thinking, with dogmatic scriptural authority pushing irrational ways of thinking, with praying God for favours (to want to change His mind about how He runs the universe), with any type of religious ritualism performed by priests or by myself, with the rejection of scientific thought for whatever reason, with dogmatic atheism.
Interesting...(Does that mean you are an atheist? I didn't understand your last clause there -- "with dogmatic atheism." (Does that mean you are an avowed, certain atheist?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't understand the question, for several reasons. I believe we were speaking about the "Golden Rule." Do you believe the world would be a better place if we all practiced applying the Golden Rule (Do to others as you would have them do to you?)

Please dont dump this on me, following the posts should make it clear.

There is a lot more to morality than treating people how you would yourself like to be treated

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
Interesting...(Does that mean you are an atheist? I didn't understand your last clause there -- "with dogmatic atheism." (Does that mean you are an avowed, certain atheist?
It means my way of thinking is imcompatible with dogmatic atheism. I'm not a theist, but I can never deny the idea of a God just because I cannot prove or imagine God with my limited mind.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mormonism.
Not to start an argument, but I'm curious as to why. The reason I ask, by the way, is that I'm a Mormon, but whenever I've taken one of those "Belief-o-Matic" quizzes (i.e. questionnaires to help you figure out which religion might be best for you), I always score pretty high in compatibility with Quakerism. I don't know much about the Quaker faith, but it made me think that there might be a few commonalities between our religions.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
Not to start an argument, but I'm curious as to why. The reason I ask, by the way, is that I'm a Mormon, but whenever I've taken one of those "Belief-o-Matic" quizzes (i.e. questionnaires to help you figure out which religion might be best for you), I always score pretty high in compatibility with Quakerism. I don't know much about the Quaker faith, but it made me think that there might be a few commonalities between our religions.
Do you know how Mormonism got started?

VoidCat

Of course I do. If I were a Mormon and didn't know, I'd be a pretty ignorant Mormon. Anyway, I didn't question you in order to start an argument, so I hope that's not where you're going with this.
I am not going to start an argument.It's just the story seemed a bit fishy to me. Look at this post on the Mormon website : 13 Things that Mormons Believe Most of what's on there I have no problem with.Look at number 8 and 10. Those are the main ones I have a problem with. I might have considered the book of Mormon to be the world of God if it wasn't for the fact that history seems to show no evidence backing much of the book of Mormon and a lot of archaeology shows that most of the cities and people mentioned in it seem more and more unlikely to exist. Meanwhile archaeology shows that the New Testament has lots of historical backing and evidence. Now your church says it believes in both does it not? Well...I can't get behind the book of Mormon. I encourage you to look into history and see how much archaeology backs the book of Mormon especially since so much evidence backs the New Testament. If you disagree with something don't try to explain it away. Think on it. It may make you uncomfortable(if I am right) but it could be worth it.Now if you do look into it and see a lot of evidence backing it please tell me. I would love to know.

Last edited:

VoidCat

@Katzpur By the way thank you for your response and I hope you are not offended by what I wrote. I just wanted to give you my opinion and please don't be afraid to PM me on Mormonism. I like learning about a lot of things and Mormonism is no different.

VoidCat

@Katzpur I would like to also add the disclaimer that History can not prove everything. Your book could be true. I just can't get behind it through.

VoidCat

Why would anyone put a ton of effort into what other folks believe?
I try to learn as much as I can about different beliefs as they interest me and help me grow. I however would never tell someone they are wrong through.