• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

incompatible

Firemorphic

Activist Membrane
I think it's a grammatical hiccup. People are so used to seeing the word 'god' capitalised that they spell it that way at all times - especially in Pagan groups - even though they're not using it as a proper noun.

I try to visualise this sentence to think of how the word should be used properly:

'There are many gods in the world. The Abrahamic god's name according to his worshippers, in various tongues, is God.'

I'm well acquainted with classical and neo paganism, that is not my confusion.
What one perceives these deities to objectively be outside of their own psyche is what always raises an eyebrow. Many occultists see deities as psychological projections that they willfully entertain.

As a Muslim (at least) we theologically oppose deity, so the thought to semantics arises in great importance. We believe in one transcendent absolute, not one deity over others. (in fact, deity becomes irrelevant)

I'm fond of the common Hindu perspective of deity as either itself being illusory to Brahman or being a necessary path that causes the Atman to realize the Brahman.

How this translates to forms of modern paganism however is something that would help to understand, I know there are many pantheists that love nature and worship nature deities. However, what is the tally 50/50? between literal, metaphorical and symbolic deities? (within the pagan worldview)

idea

Question Everything
idea said:
I am incomparable with religions which embrace hierarchies: pope, prophet, bishop etc. - anything that requires following a leader rather than embracing and respecting personal journeys with individual thought and freedom.

I am wondering what you find incomparable or wrong with Jesus as leader.
Over the many centuries many leaders have embraced personal journeys with their individual thought and freedom.
Thus man has proven that man can Not successfully direct his step. Proving man can't establish Peace on Earth.
If everyone did the 60's ' do your own thing ' then if one's own thing was crime and violence, there couldn't be peace.
This is why I find, as Psalms 46:9 informs us, that only God will cause wars to stop on Earth.

Haha - sp check, I meant to type incompatible (not incomparable) darn phone!!

Honesty is very important to me. I can only know what I have personally witnessed, and realize even meeting or witnessing something first hand does not provide a full picture. I never met Jesus, so cannot say. Never met the Buddha, I have watched videos of the Dalai Lama, watched videos of people like Eckhart Tolle that I appreciate. I try to take personal responsibility for leading my own life though - not trying to be prideful, just self-reliant and responsible. Honest responsible choices should be made after researching multiple sources, then combining the best ideas and practices available to apply within one's own life.

A research paper from only one source is plagiarism... why would anyone confine themselves to only learning or only following one specific leader?

I respect those who lead conversations with "I" statements - I think this, or I have experienced that... I do not respect those who lead conversations with "you" statements: you should do this, or you experienced that etc. "One true church", or "one anointed prophet" or "one God" even - I would not be a good student to only learn or rely on one source. I think everyone agrees its not good to put all your eggs in one basket? This is true of religion as well?

Wars come and go - many wars have already ended, not sure that god ended them? seems like people finally experienced enough of the bad consequences - that is what ended the wars...

The 60's did bring many advances - in areas of civil rights and gender equality that I am very thankful for.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Life isn't black and white like that, in fact the Abrahamic line of revelation is far more nuanced than that.

Define "God" too first.

Yes, we tend to make sweeping generalisations in these types of discussions. I agree, it's all grey. So it's all 'generally speaking'. Personally speaking, I have yet to encounter a mystical branch of Abrahamism in real life, even though I know they exist. The types around these parts just aren't of that variety, and are far more likely to tell me I'm going to hell than to seek out any common dialogue. Perhaps you can change that for me.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I am wondering how any person can label anyone capable of love must follow your god book.
We all have the freedom to act as we see fit, no god or JC need be involved. If you need a god on your shoulder telling you how to be a decent person that is entirely up to you. I dont need any one or any mythology telling me what is good and bad, what is right and wrong.

Unless damaged, we all come equipped with an in-born conscience that can serve as a guide.
That is why even the people of the nations outside of Israel could consider murder and stealing, etc. as wrong.
No one needs what is good and bad, right and wrong, unless they fear be arrested or jailed for bad and wrongdoing. Jail often serves as a deterrent from committing crime that might otherwise be committed.
In Scripture, the God of the Bible offers 'everlasting life ' which a godless society does Not offer.
God does Not arrest or jail anyone for their actions. All are free to act responsibly toward God.
The 'everlasting life' that Jesus talked about for most people will mean: living forever on Earth.
Since it is the humble meek (Not wicked) people who will inherit the Earth, then to have eternal life on a beautiful paradisical Earth is a HOPE that is Not for wicked people. There is Nothing to stop the godless from doing whatever they want to do: No arresting by God, No jail by God. The wicked and righteous are now free to do as they please.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I respect those who lead conversations with "I" statements - I think this, or I have experienced that... I do not respect those who lead conversations with "you" statements: you should do this, or you experienced that etc. "One true church", or "one anointed prophet" or "one God" even - I would not be a good student to only learn or rely on one source. I think everyone agrees its not good to put all your eggs in one basket? This is true of religion as well?
Wars come and go - many wars have already ended, not sure that god ended them? seems like people finally experienced enough of the bad consequences - that is what ended the wars...
The 60's did bring many advances - in areas of civil rights and gender equality that I am very thankful for.

Thank you for your reply.
In Scripture I find that Jesus did put all his 'eggs in one basket' teaching the Scripture is religious truth at John 17:17.
You're right, God has Not ended war or wars, but the coming final war (Armageddon) 'is' God's War, and as Psalms 46:9 says that God is bringing (future tense) an End to wars throughout the Earth......
So, God will have Jesus (as Commander in Chief) to bring to ruin those ruining Earth - Revelation 11:18 B.

I too remember advances in the 60's such as: atomic energy and atomic bombs, with bomb shelters in our town.
What to me was Not an advance was when people were going around saying, "Do your own thing" without much regard for another's own thing.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
'There are many gods in the world. The Abrahamic god's name according to his worshippers, in various tongues, is God.'

I find both God and Lord are titles and Not a personal name.
The Tetragrammaton (YHWH) are the four letters that stand for God's personal name.
Many scholars accept in the Hebrew God's name to be Yahweh.
However, other scholars say God's name is a three-syllable name closer to Yeho-wah'.

idea

Question Everything
Thank you for your reply.
In Scripture I find that Jesus did put all his 'eggs in one basket' teaching the Scripture is religious truth at John 17:17.
You're right, God has Not ended war or wars, but the coming final war (Armageddon) 'is' God's War, and as Psalms 46:9 says that God is bringing (future tense) an End to wars throughout the Earth......
So, God will have Jesus (as Commander in Chief) to bring to ruin those ruining Earth - Revelation 11:18 B.

I too remember advances in the 60's such as: atomic energy and atomic bombs, with bomb shelters in our town.
What to me was Not an advance was when people were going around saying, "Do your own thing" without much regard for another's own thing.

I tried to do the Christianity thing - I put my eggs in that basket, and I was burned pretty hard for it... Buddhism, Taoism, Hinduism, Islam - what is the point of all the different religious systems if there is a loving god? The best I can come up with - all the different religions, they are good enough to get you started on the journey, and evil enough to later force you onto your own two feet. I think by the end, we're all supposed to be independent - independent of any man-made religious system, to act according to our own personal conscience. I can't have faith in a loving god in the face of all the evil in the world... would never be happy in heaven if others were in hell, I blame the teacher ...I'll live according to my conscience, I volunteer, I work hard, I do the best I can with what I have. If there is a god and he condemns me for not trusting him then so be it. he's given me no reason to trust him.

Jumi

What religion do you practice if you don't mind me asking I'm just curious because it seems most religions are literal
I wouldn't go so far. For Christianity there are plenty of literalists in America, but not so much in Great Britain or Scandinavia for example.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Unless damaged, we all come equipped with an in-born conscience that can serve as a guide.
That is why even the people of the nations outside of Israel could consider murder and stealing, etc. as wrong.
No one needs what is good and bad, right and wrong, unless they fear be arrested or jailed for bad and wrongdoing. Jail often serves as a deterrent from committing crime that might otherwise be committed.
In Scripture, the God of the Bible offers 'everlasting life ' which a godless society does Not offer.
God does Not arrest or jail anyone for their actions. All are free to act responsibly toward God.
The 'everlasting life' that Jesus talked about for most people will mean: living forever on Earth.
Since it is the humble meek (Not wicked) people who will inherit the Earth, then to have eternal life on a beautiful paradisical Earth is a HOPE that is Not for wicked people. There is Nothing to stop the godless from doing whatever they want to do: No arresting by God, No jail by God. The wicked and righteous are now free to do as they please.

Yes we are born human and thus need no god.

You mean your godbook tells you the meek will inherit the earth, good way to calm the masses while the rich and wicked do the inheriting.

No, wicked and righteous are free to abide by human morality and the law of their land.

Subduction Zone

Veteran Member
I wouldn't go so far. For Christianity there are plenty of literalists in America, but not so much in Great Britain or Scandinavia for example.

Even in the U.S. the numbers of literalists is falling. It might not seem that way because they make far more noise than the reasonable sects.

Take the issue of gay marriage. In 2001 people opposed it by 57% to 35%. In 2017 people supported it by 62% to 32% with a rapidly increasing rate of acceptance. It is almost certainly over seventy percent acceptance now:

Changing Attitudes on Gay Marriage

Last edited:

Jumi

Even in the U.S. the numbers of literalists is falling. It might not seem that way because they make far more noise than the reasonable sects.
Yes, the loudest is not always the biggest or most popular. The change has been quite fast in my country also, people who are younger usually have no idea how judging religion here was about when I was young. Now when they hold their rainbow meets it's not the end of the world again.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
For people who are seekers; there are religions that may be incompatible with our minds and heart.

I tried to reach out to Christianity literally and metaphorically but it doesn't fit. Oh well... I guess abrahamic religions are not for me.

Are there religions you are incompatible with?
I'm a bit of a heretic wherever I go.

Any religion advocating blood sacrifice would be incompatible to me. Those that advocate gender roles, slavery, ownership of another person, or warmongering would also be incompatible to me.

Last edited:

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
Yes we are born human and thus need no god.
You mean your godbook tells you the meek will inherit the earth, good way to calm the masses while the rich and wicked do the inheriting.
No, wicked and righteous are free to abide by human morality and the law of their land.

I find the future tense is used when Jesus referred to Psalms 37:9-11 as to when the meek will inherit the Earth.
Please notice that will happen once the greedy rich and wicked are gone -Proverbs 2:21-22.
The executional words from Jesus' mouth will rid the Earth of wickedness as per Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:14-16.
We are all free to believe what is written in Scripture or not. No one is forced to obey the Golden Rule.

I find there is less-and-less human morality, more like more-and-more human immorality.
Because sentence against what is bad had Not been speedily or justly executed, then the hearts of men are emboldened, embrazened to do what is bad. Man has dominated man to man's hurt, his injury.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
I'm a bit of a heretic wherever I go.
Any religion advocating blood sacrifice would be incompatible to me. Those that advocate gender roles, slavery, ownership of another person, or warmongering would also be incompatible to me.

'Advocating blood sacrifice' sounds to me like false clergy who use the pulpit as a recruiting station so that parents will sacrifice their young on the Altar of War as it that is the same thing as the Altar of God.

In a nut shell, ancient Israel was never in the slave-trade business as the U.S. South was.

Jesus was No war monger, but taught the opposite at Matthew 26:52; Revelation 13:10 to lay down the weapons.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
............. I can't have faith in a loving god in the face of all the evil in the world... would never be happy in heaven if others were in hell, I blame the teacher ...I'll live according to my conscience, I volunteer, I work hard, I do the best I can with what I have. If there is a god and he condemns me for not trusting him then so be it. he's given me no reason to trust him.

Thank you for your input. I think it is more like ' man ' has given you No reason to trust God.
In Scripture Satan is the ' god ' of this world of badness as per 2 Corinthians 4:4.
If everyone on Earth lived by God's Golden Rule how much evil would be in the world _______
Yes, do blame the teacher, because false teachers teach a forever hell fire.
KJV translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire.
Gehenna was a just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed forever Not burning forever.
Fret Not, No one ends up in biblical hell.
Please notice that after everyone in the Bible's hell is ' delivered up' ( meaning resurrected out of hell ) then, emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell as per Revelation 20:13-14.
Even wicked Satan ends up in ' second death ' as per Revelation 21:8
Jesus will destroy Satan as per Hebrew 2:14 B
So, ' second death ' is a fitting term for: destruction.
The wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' as per Psalms 92:7.

If God would have act sooner than necessary we would Not have be born or have the opportunity to think who we would like as Sovereign over us.
In the meantime, we are all invited to pray the invitation for Jesus to come !
Come and bring the benefit of Revelation 22:2 that there will be 'healing' for earth's nations.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
'Advocating blood sacrifice' sounds to me like false clergy who use the pulpit as a recruiting station so that parents will sacrifice their young on the Altar of War as it that is the same thing as the Altar of God.
Both would be incompatible with me.

In a nut shell, ancient Israel was never in the slave-trade business as the U.S. South was.
So?

Jesus was No war monger, but taught the opposite at Matthew 26:52; Revelation 13:10 to lay down the weapons.
True

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I find the future tense is used when Jesus referred to Psalms 37:9-11 as to when the meek will inherit the Earth.
Please notice that will happen once the greedy rich and wicked are gone -Proverbs 2:21-22.
The executional words from Jesus' mouth will rid the Earth of wickedness as per Isaiah 11:3-4; Rev. 19:14-16.
We are all free to believe what is written in Scripture or not. No one is forced to obey the Golden Rule.

I find there is less-and-less human morality, more like more-and-more human immorality.
Because sentence against what is bad had Not been speedily or justly executed, then the hearts of men are emboldened, embrazened to do what is bad. Man has dominated man to man's hurt, his injury.

I can wait.

Are you the arbiter of morality? Human morality far surpasses religious morality, without human morality there would be no religion to be condescending moral.

I think you will find that throughout history it is overwhelmingly religious man imposing his will that has hurt man

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
For people who are seekers; there are religions that may be incompatible with our minds and heart.

I tried to reach out to Christianity literally and metaphorically but it doesn't fit. Oh well... I guess abrahamic religions are not for me.

Are there religions you are incompatible with?
Incompatible no, not sure about and doubtful of yes. I am a Christian but I want to see things with my own eyes before I say something isn't true. Paganism has truth in it on some issues, Buddhism has truth in it on some issues. I just have come back into a better understanding of Christianity and I think it considers the whole human condition (not just suffering or desire). The primary issue of humanity is sin (which is hatred for God and his commands), because of this there is suffering and ill will toward others. Thanks.

Reactions: syo

idea

Question Everything
Thank you for your input. I think it is more like ' man ' has given you No reason to trust God.
In Scripture Satan is the ' god ' of this world of badness as per 2 Corinthians 4:4.
If everyone on Earth lived by God's Golden Rule how much evil would be in the world _______
Yes, do blame the teacher, because false teachers teach a forever hell fire.
KJV translated the word Gehenna into English as hell fire.
Gehenna was a just a garbage pit outside of Jerusalem where things were destroyed forever Not burning forever.
Fret Not, No one ends up in biblical hell.
Please notice that after everyone in the Bible's hell is ' delivered up' ( meaning resurrected out of hell ) then, emptied-out hell is cast vacant into that symbolic ' second death ' for vacated hell as per Revelation 20:13-14.
Even wicked Satan ends up in ' second death ' as per Revelation 21:8
Jesus will destroy Satan as per Hebrew 2:14 B
So, ' second death ' is a fitting term for: destruction.
The wicked will be ' destroyed forever ' as per Psalms 92:7.

If God would have act sooner than necessary we would Not have be born or have the opportunity to think who we would like as Sovereign over us.
In the meantime, we are all invited to pray the invitation for Jesus to come !
Come and bring the benefit of Revelation 22:2 that there will be 'healing' for earth's nations.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

I find that Heaven is Not here, because in Heaven there is No crime, No violence, No war, No sickness and No one in Heaven dies in Heaven. Those un-heavenly conditions do exist on Earth.
Scripture does Not teach us to say 'take me away' to Heaven, Nor to 'take me up' to Heaven, but rather that God's heavenly kingdom ' come '. Come and bring ' healing ' to earth's nations right here on Earth as per Revelation 22:2.
This ' healing ' on Earth is why we are all invited to pray the invitation of Revelation 22:20 for Jesus to come !