• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

incompatible

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
For people who are seekers; there are religions that may be incompatible with our minds and heart.

I tried to reach out to Christianity literally and metaphorically but it doesn't fit. Oh well... I guess abrahamic religions are not for me.

Are there religions you are incompatible with?

Just about all i know of. Some more than others. Those that consider it a sin (mortal or otherwise) if you don't believe in their particular take on the religion they favour are worst.

syo

Just about all i know of. Some more than others. Those that consider it a sin (mortal or otherwise) if you don't believe in their particular take on the religion they favour are worst.
Orthodox say atheism causes god to punish us. atheism is the very truth that if a god exists then god does NOT want worshippers. being atheist can make you have a wonderful life without god. and the orthodox can't stand it I guess. (i was an atheist for ten years and I kept it a secret from the orthodox people I know)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Orthodox say atheism causes god to punish us. atheism is the very truth that if a god exists then god does NOT want worshippers. being atheist can make you have a wonderful life without god. and the orthodox can't stand it I guess. (i was an atheist for ten years and I kept it a secret from the orthodox people I know)

Atheism is the disbelief or lack of belief in the existence of God or gods. No if involved. However some religious (many here on RF) would like the definition changed to correspond with their viewpoint that cannot envision a disbelief in a god.

Being atheist is pretty good to me and it allows me to unbiasedly look at various religions without a god sitting on my shoulder directing what a think of "other" religions.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That's a large part of the appeal of mysticism to me. The experimental aspect. You never know what you're going to find.
Very true ... and another beauty is the surprise effect. Mystical experiences can come unbidden at the least expected of moments. Surprise!

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Every single one of them. If there was a compatible religion around, I might start to worry a bit.

I don't accept the entire theology of any organized religion. But from a doctrinal point-of-view, I'm closer to Hinduism because I accept reincarnation and karma. And I accept that the Avatar returns to Earth in a different body to give the eternal truth from a different perspective based on the needs of the time.

That's a large part of the appeal of mysticism to me. The experimental aspect. You never know what you're going to find.

I'm currently working learning some songs that feature the words "suddenly" and "by surprise". So yes, mysticism is about searching and finding and enjoying the journey not about limiting doctrine and the consequent fights about the one true theology.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member
For people who are seekers; there are religions that may be incompatible with our minds and heart.

I tried to reach out to Christianity literally and metaphorically but it doesn't fit. Oh well... I guess abrahamic religions are not for me.

Can you truly state as a fact that your experiences are the sole valid experiences that exist?

I experience Jesus personally, He is evident to me. How can anyone say, "I know what a Christian is" or "I used to be a Christian but Christianity is false!" if they were pursuing relationships/Bible study/church attendance/a charismatic pastor/praying, etc. without having an actual relationship with Christ? And even if they say, "Christianity is false, as the Christ never became evident to me, despite my prayer/Bible study" how can someone state as a fact that their experiences are the sole valid experiences?

Ike221

Christianity is a religion based on fear if people don't conform to the laws of the bible and beg for forgiveness you are punished forever. Christianity just seems like a man made religion to control the masses. Not hating but just pointing out .

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Just about all of them.

Reactions: syo

InvestigateTruth

I don't treat Abrahamic or non-Abrahamic Scriptures completely as either literally or Metaphorically.
Some parts of Scriptures are literal. These are the Laws and commandments, which determine the way of life. Other parts of scriptures, and specially prophecies and life after death are metaphorical or figurative. For me they work, and I don't find any contradictions or incompatibility with logic and wisdom.

Vouthon

Dominus Deus tuus ignis consumens est
Staff member
Premium Member
Yes, the same ones as you I think. Any prophet based religion is incompatible to me. I just can't see how God could every delineate all that power to a single person.

If I may ask, given that Christianity (as well as Alawite Islam) is an incarnational religion which believes that the gift of prophecy has been given to everyone post-Christ by the Holy Spirit, do you think it still falls under the 'prophet-based' category? The incarnation of God in Jesus has no cognate in Judaism or Islam, but it does bear some similarity to Hindu avatars.

In positing that Jesus is a pre-existent divine being in a Godhead with two other Divine Persons, rather than a prophet, and in adopting such practices as veneration of saints, Marian devotions ("the Queen of Heaven") and so on, I've always thought that the differences between the other Abrahamic faiths and traditional (pre-Reformation) Christianity are at times actually greater than the similarities. I mean, you don't get statues and images in Jewish, Islamic or Baha'i houses of worship for good reason - whereas Catholic churches are just littered with statues to different saints, the Blessed Virgin and so on. The optics, at least, are very distinctive.

And then, you have Quaker Christianity with its emphasis on the "divine light" in all people and its de-emphasising of doctrine.

For this reason, I've spoken with Jews who don't even think the Abrahamic label is all that meaningful as a signifier of this particular set of religions emanating from the Semitic near-east.

Last edited:

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
To this day I find myself wondering how common actual belief is even in the Abrahamic faiths.

Statistically and logically, it just doesn't make much sense to expect it to be very common.

idea

Question Everything

I am incompatible with religions which embrace hierarchies: pope, prophet, bishop etc. - anything that requires following a leader rather than embracing and respecting personal journies with individual thought and freedom.

Last edited:

idea

Question Everything
I too am incompatible with the faiths that expect me to accept a prophet that I can't check (Islam), a self-appointed guru I can't agree with (Buddhism), ... I'm even more incompatible with know-it-all atheists who refuse to accept my religious experiences.

Sounds like you are anti-authoritarianism? Hehe - me too :) Guess that makes us horribly prideful, that we are not willing to allow our beliefs to be dictated by another.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
If I may ask, given that Christianity (as well as Alawite Islam) is an incarnational religion which believes that the gift of prophecy has been given to everyone post-Christ by the Holy Spirit, do you think it still falls under the 'prophet-based' category? The incarnation of God in Jesus has no cognate in Judaism or Islam, but it does bear some similarity to Hindu avatars.

In positing that Jesus is a pre-existent divine being in a Godhead with two other Divine Persons, rather than a prophet, and in adopting such practices as veneration of saints, Marian devotions ("the Queen of Heaven") and so on, I've always thought that the differences between the other Abrahamic faiths and traditional (pre-Reformation) Christianity are at times actually greater than the similarities. I mean, you don't get statues and images in Jewish, Islamic or Baha'i houses of worship for good reason - whereas Catholic churches are just littered with statues to different saints, the Blessed Virgin and so on. The optics, at least, are very distinctive.

And then, you have Quaker Christianity with its emphasis on the "divine light" in all people and its de-emphasising of doctrine.

For this reason, I've spoken with Jews who don't even think the Abrahamic label is all that meaningful as a signifier of this particular set of religions emanating from the Semitic near-east.

I have no idea or opinion, as I don't know enough about this. I do accept that almost all religions have a certain degree of diversity, and that most of us automatically generalise when we speak of other faiths. as we are doing here in this thread.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
There's so much diversity within the major religious demographics that I can't say I'm flat out incompatible with any of them. One of the things my tradition teaches is that all things are sacred and worthy... that all things are of value. If I cannot find something of wisdom in a religion, that means I am not looking hard enough or letting my own prejudices stand in the way of wisdom. That's not to say I don't have genre preferences, and there are certainly components of various traditions that grate me the wrong way. But on the whole? I see value in all of them.

Ike221

It's interesting that a pastor, pope, or any other organised religious leader can inform or guide anyone eles to religious enlightenment because everyone is different what will work for one person will most likely not have the same effect on any others and yet millions of Christians each Sunday listen to the word of God and how one HUMAN interprets that knowledge it is quite and astounding concept.

sealchan

I am incompatible with any literalist practice of religion.

Jumi

It's better to just be yourself, if you're not drawn to anything specific there might be a reason for it. You can take inspiration here and there when something is nice. Being free, you can pick true things instead of being handed things as truths(which might not be).