• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incest.

Ernesto

The first thing that comes to my mind is Freud's Oedipus Complex..I'm sure you could find a wikipedia article on it or something...although it's hard or possibly just nasty to believe in it, there is a worrying amount of psychological proof behind it. What if we all want sex with the parent of the opposite sex, but have to repress it? I think that would say something positive about our evolution, the fact that we've learnt to repress that because it causes deformed children to be born...then again, maybe that's just my evolved view...hmm...

Fluffy

A fool
The first thing that comes to my mind is Freud's Oedipus Complex..I'm sure you could find a wikipedia article on it or something...although it's hard or possibly just nasty to believe in it, there is a worrying amount of psychological proof behind it. What if we all want sex with the parent of the opposite sex, but have to repress it? I think that would say something positive about our evolution, the fact that we've learnt to repress that because it causes deformed children to be born...then again, maybe that's just my evolved view...hmm...
I do not think that the reason why we shy away from incest is because of the consequences in terms of genetic defects. The inherent problem that society has with it does not seem to be rooted in rationality even if there are rational reasons for having a problem with it. For example, most people who are against incest would also be against 2 step siblings having sex even though there is no increased chance of having a deformed child. Furthermore, most people who still have a problem with sex between siblings who were physically unable to have a child or who practiced safe sex.

Pardus

Proud to be a Sinner.
You get the "it just is" factor.

Because they are told what is wrong, and they don't bother considering why.

The main reason i make these threads, becuse i hate the "it just is" of this world.

Ody

Its wrong because it complicates the psychodynamic aspects of a family to a great extent

linwood

Ernesto said:
The first thing that comes to my mind is Freud's Oedipus Complex.
Freud was full of crap, just because he had the hots for his mom was no reason to project his twisted sexuality on the rest of humanity.
:)

I`m with Flappy on this one.
I see nothing inherently immoral about incest

Buttercup

Veteran Member
!. Stepfather-stepdaughter having sex would be adultery if her mother is still married to the stepfather. Does adultery matter to anyone?

2. Father-daughter or mother-son is simply illegal if child is under 18. It is also adultery by the way.

3. Brother-sister. If I found out my son and daughter were having sex I would march them straight into counseling. My reasons???? What GOOD could possibly come out of them having sex? I can name LOTS of bad.

Smoke

Done here.
Pardus said:
If noone gets pregnant and both are fully able to concent (age, etc), what is wrong with incest?
The main advantages of endogamy are strengthening family ties and conserving the family's wealth.

The main advantages of exogamy are genetic diversity and the creation of alliances with other families.

Whether inbreeding causes genetic problems depends on the genes involved. Cleopatra was considered beautiful and intelligent, but it's likely that her paternal grandparents were brother and sister, and her maternal grandparents were uncle and niece -- and the maternal grandfather was brother to both the paternal grandparents. Her great-grandfather (times three), Ptolemy VIII, married both his sister and her daughter by another brother. Yet the dynasty lasted nearly three hundred years. On the other hand, there are genetic problems like hemophilia that can be carried by only one parent, and others like sickle cell anemia and cystic fibrosis that can be expressed even though the parents have no known relationship.

If we are to believe Genesis, Abraham married his half-sister Sarah, and his brother Nahor married his niece, Milcah. Abraham and Sarah's son Isaac married his first cousin once removed (times 2) and also first cousin twice removed (times 2), Rebekah. Isaac and Rebekah's son Jacob married two of his first cousins, who were sisters to each other. It gets complicated to try to calculate all the ways Reuben and Joseph were related to each other:

abraham.gif

Bottom line: the problem with incest is cultural. It's not something that people one knows would do. ;)

Smoke

Done here.
linwood said:
Freud was full of crap, just because he had the hots for his mom was no reason to project his twisted sexuality on the rest of humanity.
Then you agree with Jung:
What Freud has to say about sexuality, infantile pleasure, and their conflict with the 'principle of reality,' as well as what he says about incest and the like can be taken as the truest expression of his own psychic make-up. He has given adequate form to what he has noted in himself.
:D

Smoke

Done here.
Buttercup said:
If I found out my son and daughter were having sex I would march them straight into counseling. My reasons???? What GOOD could possibly come out of them having sex? I can name LOTS of bad.
If I had minor children, I wouldn't want them having sex with anybody at all. ;)

linwood

MidnightBlue said:
Then you agree with Jung:
What Freud has to say about sexuality, infantile pleasure, and their conflict with the 'principle of reality,' as well as what he says about incest and the like can be taken as the truest expression of his own psychic make-up. He has given adequate form to what he has noted in himself.
:D
It appears I do.
I`ll have to put Jung on my reading list.
Thanks.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Insest is SWARMING throughout the entire Bible... I wonder why Christians aren't advocates for it... (unless we're talking Hillbillies)

Doktormartini

小虎
Specifically for Christians, this against the Bible. It's just something that was not meant to be. That's why were given husbands/wives/etc.

That's just my view on it.
I don't know much about Christianity or the Bible...but Adam and Eve were the first man and woman correct? So they had Kain and Abel and some daughters correct? Well...this goes on so they had to have sex with their brothers and sisters until everyone on earth was made so wouldn't that mean we are all brothers and sister?...which in turn would mean basically having sex with anyone could be considered incest? Tell me if I'm wrong...thanks!