• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incest in your beliefs.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Hello guys.

What are your religious beliefs in incest, and when is it considered incest? I'll clarify the stance of Islam in it. Please share yours, if any.

Islam forbids incest. To define incest in Islam, here is a list of "men are not allowed to marry the following women":
1- Father's wife (other than the mother).
2- Mothers.
3- Daughters.
4- Sisters.
5- Aunts.
6- Nieces.
7- Breast feeding mothers.
8- Sisters in breast feeding.
9- Wife's mother.
10- Daughters of wives one already had sex with (the wife).
11- Son's wife.
12- Wife's sister at the same time.

All marriages based on the above list are considered incest.

Notes:
1- Breast feeding women in Islam are considered mothers and called breast feeding mothers in Arabic. Not sure of the English terminology for it.
2- If the wife is divorced before having sex, the man is allowed to marry her daughter.
3- Who the woman is allowed to marry of men is also concluded from the above list.
4- Marriage with cousins is not considered incest in Islam, as long as they are not included in the list above.

I'm not familiar with other beliefs, so I'm not even sure if incest if allowed or not. Is incest allowed in your beliefs? If it is or isn't, please share also with proof, if available. A clear and thorough definition, including list of who do not make incest when married, is a good way to put it.

Thank you for you replies in advance.

Edit:
Quran 4:23 translated below is the verse the list above is concluded from:

"Prohibited to you [for marriage] are your mothers, your daughters, your sisters, your father's sisters, your mother's sisters, your brother's daughters, your sister's daughters, your [milk] mothers who nursed you, your sisters through nursing, your wives' mothers, and your step-daughters under your guardianship [born] of your wives unto whom you have gone in. But if you have not gone in unto them, there is no sin upon you. And [also prohibited are] the wives of your sons who are from your [own] loins, and that you take [in marriage] two sisters simultaneously, except for what has already occurred. Indeed, Allah is ever Forgiving and Merciful."

Last edited:

Laika

Premium Member
I don't have any issues regarding (other people being involved in) incestous relationships.[Forgive me, but I will not be having sex with my mother or father anytime soon. I find that a turn-off and I'm probably not alone in that.] this isn't not an issue thats come up alot so I haven't thought about it much or really very informed to say anything beyond a knee-jerk reaction. I may have issues with fathers and daugthers, mothers and sons, (or same-sex eqivilent) but brother and sister or cousins I can understand. I'm not sure whether my "gut feeling" on that is any more the prejudice and a moral panic about pedophilla and age differences in sexual relationships.

I think the problem starts when people in incestous relationships want to have kids and the fact that genetically that isn't very "good" because they are too closely related and that affects genetic diversity of their kids. Maybe this is one of the few areas where "eugenic" factors should play a role on who we sleep with? I don't know. If it were I'd be asking myself whether I could really treat that in isolation and not start using Eugenic arguments against other groups having sex on genetic grounds. That's not an idea I'm either familar or comfortable with. My understanding is that it take multiple generations for genetics to become an issue. if it's a one off and an isolated case, maybe, but I don't think a society could make a habit out of it for that reason. Telling two people they can't love each other strikes me as "problematic" though as that's not something we can't pretend to control.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
Is first cousin marriage common in your country SG? Is it common in Islam generally?

I know that it is causing problems with birth defects in Pakistan and Paskistani Muslim communities in the UK.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1212811

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Is first cousin marriage common in your country SG? Is it common in Islam generally?

I know that it is causing problems with birth defects in Pakistan and Paskistani Muslim communities in the UK.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1212811

Not sure about other cultures, but it is not common in my specific community of the country. It is just not forbidden in Islam. And since Islam considers science, and have general teachings about avoiding possible harm and insecure practices, educated Muslim cultures, at least mine, avoid such marriage and don't recommend it.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Banishment from the society. Considered the fifth 'varna' (roughly caste, for those who do not understand the terms) - not allowed to stay in the city - Chandalas; that of murders, rapists, those who cheated government or public money, traitors to the nation, etc.

Subhankar Zac

Hare Krishna,Hare Krishna,
I m a Hindu, but also a buddhist and a Taoist...
So, it's kind of complicated For me to answer based on my religions.

In Hinduism, it is generally frowned upon severely. But in India, incest is legal (though homosexuality is a crime - New version of bigoted Hinduism)
But some legends do suggest that Saraswati being the daughter of Brahma, married him.
But Hindu society was highly against it as against adultery. But based on some scriptures and philosophical ideas within Hinduism, compassion and tolerance towards all living beings is prescribed.

In Buddhism and Taoism, which together makes Zen... There is no specific ideas on it, but generally not accepted.
And acceptance, inclusivity and unending compassion is the key concept of Buddhism and couples who engage in incestuous relationships aren't any differ.

Now, my personal belief is that, I don't judge people for choosing their partners. I would prefer that they shouldn't have children of their own but instead adopt.
Same sex incest doesn't have any side effects as they won't procreate. Overall, Religiously and Personally I believe if it's not harming anyone and it's consensual, it's none of my business.
I might not understand incestuous emotions, but all living beings are equally entitled to life.

rusra02

Premium Member
True Christians are not under the Law God gave Moses, but we consider what Leviticus 18:6-18 as God's view of incest. Mentioned specifically as forbidden are sexual relations with:
1. Father or mother
2. Mother in law
3. Sister
4. Daughter in law
5. Aunt
6. Sister in law
7. Grand daughter
8. Daughter

" While Christians are not under the Mosaic Law, their conscience tells them clearly that marriage between close fleshly relatives—such as father and daughter, mother and son, brother and sister—is totally unacceptable in the Christian community. As the circle of kinship expands, Christians recognize that there are laws and statutes that govern legal marriage and that there are standards that are socially and culturally acceptable. These must be taken into careful consideration so that we can comply with the Scriptural injunction: “Let marriage be honorable among all.”—Hebrews 13:4. (W02 2/1 p.29)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Like many things, there's really no universal opinion other than what results from karma.

There's clearly social limitations as well as direct medical implications, so opinions and consequences of course will vary depending upon how incest is received by family and community.

Brian Schuh

The Torah forbids the following,
1. Incest with one's mother.
2. With one's father's wife, even after the father's death.
3. Paternal half sister, maternal half sister, or any sister.
4. The daughter of one's father's wife, if she is your sister.
(#3 and #4 are repetitious so that one can be convicted on 2 counts to make it more illicit.)
5. The daughter of one's son.
6. A woman and her daughter both.
7. A woman and her son's daughter.
8. A woman and her daughter's daughter.
9. The sister of one's father.
10. The sister of one's mother.
11. The wife of the brother of one's father.
12. The wife of one's son.
13. The wife of one's brother.
14. The sister of one's wife (as long as the wife is still alive.)
15. One having sex with his father.
16. With one's father's brother.
17. One's daughter. (Moses did not state this one, but later rabbis ruled that a man marrying his daughter is obviously wrong, if Moses condemned a man to marry his daughter's daughter, he didn't mention a man's daughter because it is obvious.)

Also, man having sex with his brother is already condemned by "man shall not lie with a man." #15 and #16 were laws to make one guilty on two convictions instead of one. It was already a conviction for a man to lie with a man, but if with your father or paternal uncle, that's two convictions.

Related commands:
Sex with a menstruating woman.
Sex with another man's wife
Man committing beastiality
Woman committing beastiality.
Engaging in anything that could lead to forbidden sex, like winking or kissing.

And there are more mitzvot that are more difficult to explain

Brian Schuh

In the list above, Jacob (Israel) married two women sisters to each other, Rachel and Leah, against the incest laws. But he gave his word to marry Rachel, but was tricked by Laban to marry Leah first. So he must have felt it was more important to keep his word as a man which is a command, then to keep that particular incest law.

Brian Schuh

Lot's two daughters mistakenly believed that the three if them were the only survivors in the world after Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed. They falsely thought the whole world was destroyed. So they both seduced Lot while he was drunk. The resulting people's Ammonites and Moabites became bitter enemies to Israel. But those two women had good intentions.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Hello guys.

What are your religious beliefs in incest, and when is it considered incest?

I consider incest to be a crime - no, an abomination - in the eyes of gods and men. The ancients clearly felt the same way about it. I'd agree with your list except for 1, 7, (I'm not sure enough about 8 to say whether I agree with it or not - do you mean one's own sister who is breast-feeding?) and 12.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
It was not unheard of in Norse mythology in at least two instances. The twins, the god Freyr and his sister the goddess Freyja were said to be the children of Njördr and his unnamed sister.

In Lokasenna Loki accuses Freyja of having sex with her brother, having walked in on them. Their father Njördr replies with a "meh, so what?" non-chalance. The other gods didn't say anything one way or another. It seems to have been something that existed and not necessarily condemned.

Jonathan Ainsley Bain

Logical Positivist
Hello guys.

What are your religious beliefs in incest, and when is it considered incest? I'll clarify the stance of Islam in it. Please share yours, if any.

Islam forbids incest. To define incest in Islam, here is a list of "men are not allowed to marry the following women":
1- Father's wife (other than the mother).
2- Mothers.
3- Daughters.
4- Sisters.
5- Aunts.
6- Nieces.
7- Breast feeding mothers.
8- Sisters in breast feeding.
9- Wife's mother.
10- Daughters of wives one already had sex with (the wife).
11- Son's wife.
12- Wife's sister at the same time.

All marriages based on the above list are considered incest.

Notes:
1- Breast feeding women in Islam are considered mothers and called breast feeding mothers in Arabic. Not sure of the English terminology for it.
2- If the wife is divorced before having sex, the man is allowed to marry her daughter.
3- Who the woman is allowed to marry of men is also concluded from the above list.
4- Marriage with cousins is not considered incest in Islam, as long as they are not included in the list above.

I'm not familiar with other beliefs, so I'm not even sure if incest if allowed or not. Is incest allowed in your beliefs? If it is or isn't, please share also with proof, if available. A clear and thorough definition, including list of who do not make incest when married, is a good way to put it.

Thank you for you replies in advance.

It causes deformity.
The belief is cultural / anecdotal so not entirely sure if it is true,

but the only person I know of that was hermaphrodite,
is also the only person I know of that thought incest was ok.

Brian Schuh

True Christians are not under the Law God gave Moses, but we consider what Leviticus 18:6-18 as God's view of incest. Mentioned specifically as forbidden are sexual relations with:
1. Father or mother
2. Mother in law
3. Sister
4. Daughter in law
5. Aunt
6. Sister in law
7. Grand daughter
8. Daughter

" While Christians are not under the Mosaic Law, their conscience tells them clearly that marriage between close fleshly relatives—such as father and daughter, mother and son, brother and sister—is totally unacceptable in the Christian community. As the circle of kinship expands, Christians recognize that there are laws and statutes that govern legal marriage and that there are standards that are socially and culturally acceptable. These must be taken into careful consideration so that we can comply with the Scriptural injunction: “Let marriage be honorable among all.”—Hebrews 13:4. (W02 2/1 p.29)
I am sociopathic, my conscience doesn't say much. So I live by the law of Moses. I am amused that Christians pick and choose what they keep out of the law of Moses.

Most Christians don't keep the Sabbath and many don't even know what day the Sabbath is, except Seventh-day Adventists, Seventh-day Baptists and some of the World Wide Church of God, Christians even pick and choose which of the Ten Commandments they keep. Many Christians pray to images. The law of Moses is a package deal.

Moses never condemned a man having sex with his daughter, he condemned a man having sex with his grand daughter. He implied sex with one's daughter is wrong. If it wasn't for the later rabbis, one could have broken an incest law without knowing it. The later rabbis had to make an implication of Moses explicit for all the sociopaths like me.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
I consider incest to be a crime - no, an abomination - in the eyes of gods and men. The ancients clearly felt the same way about it. I'd agree with your list except for 1, 7, (I'm not sure enough about 8 to say whether I agree with it or not - do you mean one's own sister who is breast-feeding?) and 12.

No. 8 is a woman that was breast fed as a baby by the same woman that breast fed the man as a baby. These two are forbidden to get married because they will have shared the same mother. The woman that breast feeds is considered a mother in Islam, so the girl that shared the same woman in breast feeding is a sister. The boy and the girl could be completely unrelated but breast feeding made them part of the list.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
No. 8 is a woman that was breast fed as a baby by the same woman that breast fed the man as a baby. These two are forbidden to get married because they will have shared the same mother. The woman that breast feeds is considered a mother in Islam, so the girl that shared the same woman in breast feeding is a sister. The boy and the girl could be completely unrelated but breast feeding made them part of the list.

So you mean if a woman was wet-nursed by your mother Islam would prohibit you from having sex with her because you'd be considered sisters regardless of whether you share the same parent(s)? Is that what you mean?

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
So you mean if a woman was wet-nursed by your mother Islam would prohibit you from having sex with her because you'd be considered sisters regardless of whether you share the same parent(s)? Is that what you mean?

Yes, that's what I mean. If wet-nursing is breast feeding.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
It was not unheard of in Norse mythology in at least two instances. The twins, the god Freyr and his sister the goddess Freyja were said to be the children of Njördr and his unnamed sister.

In Lokasenna Loki accuses Freyja of having sex with her brother, having walked in on them. Their father Njördr replies with a "meh, so what?" non-chalance. The other gods didn't say anything one way or another. It seems to have been something that existed and not necessarily condemned.
Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, it seems. Lol. The Olympians were all about that incest, too. :p