• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Incest In Bible

john313

warrior-poet
Fluffy said:
Heya john313,

I am not Christian so I cannot promise that my views are representative of Christianity. However, it is my personal belief that God wanted people to follow the messages which these prophets conveyed, not the prophets themselves.

Also I ascribe to the Lutheran view on the matter of perfection. We are to aspire to be perfect, however, perfection can never be achieved, it is merely there to highlight that we are imperfect. This does not release us from out attempts to perfection, just merely of the guilt when we are unable to achieve this.

Jesus was indeed the perfect human and this is certainly enough for people to follow his leadership, myself included. However, this was not what he wanted and is not what God wanted. God wants people to follow him and noone else as is clear from the 10 commandments. Jesus is also fully God just as he is fully human. It is merely an advertising tactic. God is playing to what he knows people are likely to follow when in fact that something is something else entirely.

Hmmm I don't think I explained that very well but I hope it will suffice! I can try again if it doesn't.
Peace,
i understand what you are saying, but i think the best way to teach is to do so by example. it is hard to teach people to follow God's laws if the teacher does not follow them. if i said "follow the prophets" i meant their message-sorry if i was unclear. i do believe it is possible to be perfect, as i do not think a prophet(Jesus) would tell others to do something that is impossible, and i do not think he was speaking figuratively when he said this.

greatcalgarian

Incest was never a problem during early human history. It is only brought into question upon human being getting more "civilized", or knowledge gained that inbreed or close breeding will not lead to strong next generation. Hence, slowly, it is written down, or orally established, or custom enforced, or society norm that incest is no good for the society. Christians just imposed this ruling and hence pick section in the bible to teach incest as an immoral act, just like Paul likes to emphasize homosexual is a sin.

Betho_br

i think the incest of the old testament times might have had something to do with that god did not want polluted bloodlines in the prophets ancestry,there was nobody to impregnate lots daughter,they were just leaving a city of despicable sin and my guess is that the surrounding towns were as bad so lot was the only viable choice
How excellent it is to save effort when typing.