• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In your own words; what is the Black Flame?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Title says it all.

A statement which means nearly nothing when used by LaVey? :D

LaVey mentioned it sort of as a force of nature, but he's the only one who really used it and what it meant to him is questionable. What it tends to mean to the non-Atheists is a persons spiritual core that is directly connected to Satan proper; soul, spirit, HGA, whatever...

I don't really count the other uses because they were merely constructed after the fact.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
I would say that the Black Flame is the essence of each individual being. It burns inside every man, but it must be embraced to be useful. It corresponds to Gevurah on the Tree of Life for the Adept ascending, and once one masters the Black Flame and reaches said stage, they become complete masters of their universe. Following my mysticism based beliefs, after mastering the Black Flame the adept becomes unstoppable whether they follow their own Free Will or their True Will.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Well, first off the term "Black Flame" was coined by Michael Aquino during his time in the early days of the Church of Satan (1970-1975 c.e.). It is first mentioned in Aquino's document "The Diabolicon" written in 1970 when he was in Vietnam.

I'm definitaly not talking about the CoS magazine. To me, the Black Flame is the very essence of that which is the Arch-Daimon, from which the human psyche was spawned. It is that which inspires and energizes the soul or psyche, and is that from which all Magic(k) is created. The Black Flame is that which has Transformed us from what we were in the jungle primeval to that which we are today.

Why call it the "Black Flame"? As twig pentagram correctly stated, it is the essence of hidden knowledge to which no one can lay claim to an absolute understanding of its metaphysical or physiological properties. The color black is often in the occult realms the symbolic color of the most mysterious works of magic, and hidden or "forbiden" knowledge. Magica Veneficum.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
The more I read about it, the more it seems a more abstract form of the Central Fire of the Pythagoreans.

"This universe, which is the same for all, has not been made by any god or man, but it always has been, is, and will be an ever-living fire, kindling itself by regular measures and going out by regular measures."

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Excellent observation Gjallarhorn, thanks! The Pythagoreans also held the number 5 to be sacred, and used the pentagram as the symbol of their school of thought. The concept of the Black Flame is quite abstract as a symbol and metaphor.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
For future interpretation, I've been reading "Black Flame" as "Hidden Flame" or "Invisible Flame", since a black fire would shed no light, like an alcohol fire.

Last edited:

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
For future interpretation, I've been reading "Black Flame" as "Hidden Flame" or "Invisible Flame", since a black fire would shed no light, like an alcohol fire.

This is essentially correct, the black flame is an invisible energizing force, as fire is an energizing element in nature. A can of sterno gives off a liquid like blue flame.

To that which illuminates the dark light.
/Adramelek\

Kori Houghton

Restricted
For me "the Black Flame" is religious terminology, used by several religions, none of which influence my life or practice. Just like "Guardian Angel" (or AC's Holy Guardian Angel) or Rapture or Resurrection of the Body or whatever are all religious terms I don't myself use.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
Generally, I've seen the black flame more as BULL - ****.. :p

There is 'occult knowledge' but there is nothing that isn't immediately accessible to someone who cares to look. Most people don't of course due to the nature of modern society. Humanity has become a fragmented caricature of itself divorced from it's rationality by mainstream religion, and intuition by being focused on trivial and unimportant things. There is nothing mysterious, mystical, or occult about what is a natural human experience. No one has a monopoly on inner truth, and it is accessible to anyone that decides to earnestly study the manner. You can either be born with the interest to do so, or develop a taste for that effort. Either way... the black flame seems a silly concept..

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member

There is 'occult knowledge' but there is nothing that isn't immediately accessible to someone who cares to look. Most people don't of course due to the nature of modern society. Humanity has become a fragmented caricature of itself divorced from it's rationality by mainstream religion, and intuition by being focused on trivial and unimportant things. There is nothing mysterious, mystical, or occult about what is a natural human experience. No one has a monopoly on inner truth, and it is accessible to anyone that decides to earnestly study the manner. You can either be born with the interest to do so, or develop a taste for that effort. Either way... the black flame seems a silly concept..

Well, Mindmaster, tell us how you really think about the matter.:cool:
As I see it it is what I sometimes call the black flame which has given you the very ability to formulate your own philosophy and living of life. It might be a lot of bull chips to you, but it is a valid symbol of the essence of Creative Being to a good number of us.

For ever in the Promethean flame.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

jasonwill2

Title says it all.

No ******* idea, but I always thought the name was weird. Hey! Just put "black" or "dark" on an old traditional concept, fit it for LHP thought, and call it Left Hand! Why must it be black? I might believe in a similar concept, but I really have no idea what it is and the name seems somewhat stereotypical.

Quote for the truth.

Well, Mindmaster, tell us how you really think about the matter.:cool:
As I see it it is what I sometimes call the black flame which has given you the very ability to formulate your own philosophy and living of life. It might be a lot of bull chips to you, but it is a valid symbol of the essence of Creative Being to a good number of us.

For ever in the Promethean flame.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\

His point is that no one needs a book, Satanic or not, to know how to act humanly as it is instinctual. I don't know much about the "Black" Flame I admit, but from what I know and read here I gather it somehow enlightens people or something?

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
The Left-Hand Path is extremely based on personal symbolism. That is how we are successful in the quest for enlightenment and in our magickal practices. I think coming in here saying that the concept of the Black Flame is BS is more BS than the actual concept.