• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Your Opinion, Why Is the US Committed to Defending Taiwan?

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
In your opinion, why is the US committing so heavily to defending Taiwan in case of a Chinese invasion? I personally don't believe that the US cares about democracy or independence of Taiwan as it claims, because it has long supported dictatorships (e.g., in Saudi Arabia) to further its geopolitical interests and didn't bat an eye at a lot of other wars (when it wasn't the country starting them). So I'm interested to read everyone's perspectives about the reasons for its commitment to defending Taiwan.

I think it's good that China has reasons to think twice before bullying Taiwan or invading it, but I also don't think the US is doing this out of the goodness of its heart.

amorphous_constellation

I'm pretty sure that we in the states have had a long history of being divided about Saudi Arabia. We were hoping that China would have democratized. Presently we are confused, because the spread of capitalistic ideas did not change the world in the way we thought it would. In Taiwan, I think we like the access to the computer chip resource that seems available there. Democracy can work only in a healthy political eco-system. In the past few years, we ourselves have struggled.

People like Xi and Putin can be scary, because they seem to want to hold onto power for as long as possible, and it seems like they became the kinds of people who do not like criticism. The basis for changing leaders frequently, in a good democracy, is that the leaders don't get a chance to calcify into those kinds of people. People like biden and trump, who are both people who lack open-minded dynamics, would certainly become this way, even more so, if they stayed in power forever.

Last edited:

Orbit

I'm a planet
In your opinion, why is the US committing so heavily to defending Taiwan in case of a Chinese invasion? I personally don't believe that the US cares about democracy or independence of Taiwan as it claims, because it has long supported dictatorships (e.g., in Saudi Arabia) to further its geopolitical interests and didn't bat an eye at a lot of other wars (when it wasn't the country starting them). So I'm interested to read everyone's perspectives about the reasons for its commitment to defending Taiwan.

I think it's good that China has reasons to think twice before bullying Taiwan or invading it, but I also don't think the US is doing this out of the goodness of its heart.

Because Communism. Communism bad. Must "protect" non-Communists.

Exaltist Ethan

Bridging the Gap Between Believers and Skeptics
The United States recognizes Taiwan's sovereignty, just like it recognizes the sovereignty of Israel and Ukraine. It realizes that the people of that region want to be a certain way and doesn't want to change. Same reason why the US supported Afghanistan during its war with the Soviets. Earth already has complete established sovereignty and the US is resistant to change that sovereignty due to the fact that the people of that region want to be viewed as one thing and not the other. That is ultimately why we left Afghanistan even though is it currently controlled by Islamic fundamentalists. You may occupy someone else's land but you can force them to convert to your way of thinking. Ancient leaders realized this and in order to stop civil wars often left people alone after conquering its land. The US occupied Iraq during the Gulf War because we recognized Kuwait's sovereignty, even though Iraq did not.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
For all it's faults and realpolitik, there is also an idealistic component to our foreign policy. Our policy toward Taiwan is a combination of great power struggles and idealism for a people's right to self-determination.

To look at only one side is to have less than a full appreciation for the messy complexity of our foreign policy.

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself

It's a mixed bag. As to the motive it depends on who is in charge in the US at the time. But at all times an important component of the motive is US interests, it's desire to be top dog in the world. Right now, China, not Russia, is consdered by the US to be the main competitor with them for economic dominance and military dominance in the world. I consider it unfortunate that the jockeying of top powers in the world is still going on. The results of this in the past have been disastrous at times.

I'm not saying that Russia is not a big concern for the US at this time, but ultimately China is considered the big "threat" over a longer period of time to the US interests.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Most of our electronics come from Taiwan. There is also a lot of ongoing business relationships.
We get a lot of semiconductors from Taiwan. If China cuts that off it would be difficult for the US to recover economically.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

They have a history of keeping bases active all around the world. Taiwan is in a strategic place for that?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
For all it's faults and realpolitik, there is also an idealistic component to our foreign policy. Our policy toward Taiwan is a combination of great power struggles and idealism for a people's right to self-determination.

To look at only one side is to have less than a full appreciation for the messy complexity of our foreign policy.
That's true with the current Administration. However, the great power struggle part is dangerous to everybody.

Soandso

ᛋᛏᚨᚾᛞ ᛋᚢᚱᛖ
I suspect it may be for a similar reason to why China is so hellbent on making sure no one messes with North Korea - it's a strategical buffer and helps keep our adversaries in check. If we allowed China to take control of Taiwan, it would weaken our presence the South China Sea, IMO

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

I think the US has a complex foreign policy apparatus that is not motivated by a one-dimensional goal. We can have a genuine interest in promoting and defending democratic governments around the world when we feasibly can while also negotiating with non-democratic governments for other reasons. Our relationship with Saudi Arabia is motivated by our need for their oil along with other military interests, e.g. our mutual fight against ISIS.

lukethethird

unknown member
Washington and it's Nato lackies can't stand competition so they want to eliminate it.
Let's hope China remains reasonable and doesn't take the bait like Russia did.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member

If, and only if you are correct that the US is not interested in Taiwanese democracy, then a I suggest that the US is defending it for the same reason that Russia assists Syria and colonizing European countries were so desperate to buy land in Ottoman Philistine: They want a foothold in a particular region of the world, because they want to still be considered relevant in international geopolitical terms, as that would further their personal interests. Taiwan gives the US a foothold in the Far East. Now all they need to do is wait until China crumbles and then they can jump in and grab the best part of China for themselves.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member

Its similar to how we view S Korea. S Korea allows prosperity for individuals and free markets. This helps us to have good diplomatic relations with S Korea. They aren't brainwashed communists in denial of reality...as opposed to N Korea: brainwashed communists in denial of reality.

What's the main thing that the brainwashers of N Korea want everyone there to believe? They want them to believe that everyone in the world is their enemy or somehow against them. There is no greater sin in N Korea (or in China now) than to be successful. It doesn't matter if you are an Egyptian or an American. If you are successful then you are a threat, and you are going to be painted as evil.

Hong Kong was a British protectorate and thrived, enjoying free speech and meritocracy. Then China took it back, and it has immediately begun destroying everything that has made Hong Kong successful. Its crushing speech. Its saying who may do what. Its crushing those who have done well. That little land is looking like its going to be squeezed until there is no happiness left. They're going to force everyone to repeat the speeches of the mainland which is headed into N Korean style despotism if it isn't already there.

Audie

Veteran Member

Dont take it that the USA is never sincere.

Audie

Veteran Member
Its similar to how we view S Korea. S Korea allows prosperity for individuals and free markets. This helps us to have good diplomatic relations with S Korea. They aren't brainwashed communists in denial of reality...as opposed to N Korea: brainwashed communists in denial of reality.

What's the main thing that the brainwashers of N Korea want everyone there to believe? They want them to believe that everyone in the world is their enemy or somehow against them. There is no greater sin in N Korea (or in China now) than to be successful. It doesn't matter if you are an Egyptian or an American. If you are successful then you are a threat, and you are going to be painted as evil.

Hong Kong was a British protectorate and thrived, enjoying free speech and meritocracy. Then China took it back, and it has immediately begun destroying everything that has made Hong Kong successful. Its crushing speech. Its saying who may do what. Its crushing those who have done well. That little land is looking like its going to be squeezed until there is no happiness left. They're going to force everyone to repeat the speeches of the mainland which is headed into N Korean style despotism if it isn't already there.
Speaking as a Hong Konger-
I gotta say your analysis is
both facile and hyperbolic.

Shaul

Premium Member
There are many sound tactical and strategic reasons for the U.S. to support Taiwan. We share many core principles. They are a significant trade partner. They are also a key part of the "first island chain" that is important as a strategic choke point of China. (see here, First island chain - Wikipedia )

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

We are obligated by virtue of the Taiwan Relations Act ..
Taiwan Relations Act - Wikipedia.

...and also a bill has been introduced last year for Taiwan's Protection called
Taiwan Protection and National Resilience Act of 2022

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-congress/senate-bill/5265/text

Last edited: