• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In which religion should I have faith?

Melody

Paraprakrti said:
I am just saying that it is not taught to worship cows. Cows are sacred, sure, and so they are treated very nicely, not worshipped as God.
This is not to start an argument. I truly am curious and am hoping you can clear up something I've found perplexing.

Everytime I see a documentary on India, they talk about how cows are considered sacred so they aren't harmed *but* then go on to say that they also are not cared for. Then show footage of cows who are diseased, covered with sores and blowflys, etc. If they're sacred, why are they not cared for?

Paraprakrti

Custom User
pah said:
You have failed to understand intimacy. It is possible to be much more intimate with Bach's music than with Bach even were he alive today. Understanding of the word is a matter of definition and not dependent on the object's sentience. But you can not be intimate with any supernatural entity - period! And that is by definition as well. To think of God as a person either raises humanity to the level of God or denegrates God.

It is possible to choose to be more intimate with God's creation than with God Himself. People do it all the time. Nevertheless, there are obvious flaws in comparing Bach to God. I don't think I need to explain them.
One cannot be intimate with a supernatural entity? Perhaps you are not considering the supernatural one who is having this intimate relationship.
To think of God as the Supreme Person does not lower God or raise us to His level.

pah said:
Your misunderstanding is but a poor attempt to claim a superior God or religion. Religion, by ther way, is comprised of humans in an organized fashion with the same diety as object. and fails, across the board, with every human fraility in spite of the diety,

By what do you measure failure?

pah said:
I'll have you know - my hometown is nicer than your hometown. The bickering prompted by that statement is the same you engender with your "intimacy" statement.
God, the Supreme Person is the reservoir of intimacy. You may make an analogy using Bach but it is from God which comes the facility to make and hear music. Bach plays an instrument, but he is himself and instrument as well. Your hometown and my hometown are as intimate as God, the Supremely Intimate Person allows them to be.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Melody said:
This is not to start an argument. I truly am curious and am hoping you can clear up something I've found perplexing.

Everytime I see a documentary on India, they talk about how cows are considered sacred so they aren't harmed *but* then go on to say that they also are not cared for. Then show footage of cows who are diseased, covered with sores and blowflys, etc. If they're sacred, why are they not cared for?
They should be cared for. This just shows the degradation of the current age.

Pah

Uber all member
Paraprakrti said:
[/color]

It is possible to choose to be more intimate with God's creation than with God Himself. People do it all the time. Nevertheless, there are obvious flaws in comparing Bach to God. I don't think I need to explain them.
One cannot be intimate with a supernatural entity? Perhaps you are not considering the supernatural one who is having this intimate relationship.
To think of God as the Supreme Person does not lower God or raise us to His level.

By what do you measure failure?

God, the Supreme Person is the reservoir of intimacy. You may make an analogy using Bach but it is from God which comes the facility to make and hear music. Bach plays an instrument, but he is himself and instrument as well. Your hometown and my hometown are as intimate as God, the Supremely Intimate Person allows them to be.
pah said:
I'll have you know - my hometown is nicer than your hometown. The bickering prompted by that statement is the same you engender with your "intimacy" statement.
I choose not to bicker with you. Pointing out your flaws is not productive. Thank you for your brief attention.

Paraprakrti

Custom User
pah said:
I choose not to bicker with you. Pointing out your flaws is not productive. Thank you for your brief attention.
You choose to understand or not. My flaw is that I am even responding to you here.

oracle

Mr_Spinkles said:
In which religion should I have faith?
Mine... Since I have the special magic decoder ring! Muahahaha! [I request that the Admin add a devilish smiley as an option]

almifkhar

keep this in mind all the paths are the same and they all are right. not one is better than the other. just find what one works best for you and go for it. if none work for you thats fine too. most importantly though don't look to others for a spiritual path seek it for yourself

Dr. Khan

If you have no confidence in your upbringing or indoctrination I would suggest that if you would set it in your heart to know that if God is real he will seek you out and find you. He would reveal him self to you in such a way that you could never be deceived if you are honest with yourself and with him after that point.

[For the word of God is quick and powerful and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart. ] Hebrews 4:12

Paraprakrti

Custom User
Here is an old thread. Taking a fresh look at it, I would like to reply to something Pah said.

"You have failed to understand intimacy. It is possible to be much more intimate with Bach's music than with Bach even were he alive today."

Your analogy is forced to admit the origin of this very music. Even if it could be argued that the music is more intimate than the musician, the fact is that the music couldn't be anything if it didn't exist from the person who made it. Therefore your lack of understanding the musician's intimacy in no way concludes that he is less intimate than his music. On the contrary, the potential to be intimate with the musician must be at least equal to the potential of being intimate with his music.

Maxist

Well, I do not know about you. But if I exempted the lack of evidence portion of religion, then I would choose free-masonry. In that case you do not have to decide which diety you are to beleive in.

opuntia

Religion is Law
Whatever makes you feel good. This may seem trite but believing in your instincts may be a good way to process religion. It is believed that a divine spark resides in all of us and that spark can help us to find truth. Some find religion because of its doctrines, other find religion through its practices, others rely upon their gut to find religion. Feelings versus intellect. Sometimes both can be used, but in your case you need to use your hidden talents to find your way. If doctrines finally do match what your instincts tell you, all the better. :162:

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
As a Christian, I would say it is my duty to baptize and convert earthly beings to our Lord of Light. But in the end i really think it's what your heart tells you. But i still pray that you fall upon The Christ's path, just incase.

ΩRôghênΩ

Disciple of Light
These aare my beliefs (which are more unique and mystical christian) which you may be interested in.

That god is an immaterial spirit which resides in all things, which has no boundaries and can only be found through folowing his teachings as a manifested being on earth called the christ. This spirit is made of the force of light which encompases all that is good
That the ultimate purpose of the universe is to return to where it began, and live on in that point for an eternity. because in the beggining was only god, in the end there will be only god. that is why a humans goal is to go to heaven (or unify with god). and when the process is over all that will be left is god because all good things unified in him.
That god is a triune spirit manifested as The Holy spirit, The Christ Son, And The Father God.
That we should folow a book called the bible which is compose of scripts and writings aknowledging this divine nature, and how it influences our universe.
That god created the world as an expression of divine light love because god is composed of love and needs something to express love to
That we must show this love back to God or else we have no purpose and must be blinked out of existence, or punished in that way of some sort(Hell)
That If we show this love strong enough (worship, praise, faith, good works) we will unify with god (Heaven) after our physical conciousnesses have died.
That the principle of Goodness (Light/Lumen) will always overcome the principle of Evil (Darkness/Noctem)
That the world began in light not darkness because god was the first thing and will be the last. Therefore the common denominator of the universe is not chaos but harmony.
That we must strive to become beings of light so that we can connect with god. that we can do this by practising love, light, and goodness in the name of Adonai (God).
That we must love one another.
That even though we may know things about god that others may think are silly, in the end the inocent and humble will be the saints.
That my religion is unique, and is called Aetherie, but for now can be reffered to as My unique Christian Mysticism
That we can understand god better by Gaining mystic/ecstatic (ecstacy) experience through extreme meditation and prayer.
That we are in a simulation of a universe (like the matrix) which is just a test put before us, with many obstacles to test our faith
That all obstacles which can test our faith do not exist because they are not in accordance to Adonai's law of light, therefore exist to test us only.
That God gets the last laugh no matter what you say.
That We are the center of our reality because we are the only things that we can verify exist, because we can sense ourselves through awareness. all other things require faith.
That Light will reign forever, and the one who sits pon the throne of that light will also reign forever