• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In which religion should I have faith?

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
You should belive in MINE!!!! :149:
Mine is the only 'true' religion!!!
It says so right here..... er...
uh, no... wait... my bad, it says no such thing....:biglaugh:

well in that case, I'm going to have to agree with Maize...
Believe in what works for you. If atheism works for you then I'm happy for you, If taoism, Islam, Judaism, or one of the flavors of Chrisitanity works for you I'm happy for you as well. :D

If it doesn't work, dump it. :jam:

wa:do

Joannicius

Some worship the Creator of all and some the creation.

That's how it always has been and that is not how it always will be for if the Bible is true, of course that is what I believe, then all will fall down and admit Jesus is Lord of all in the near future. (Near or close is Orthodox terminology is within the next 500 years or so).

In the mean time, it's great to be on this ball with each and every one of you.

In order to determine which religion you should have faith in, would it not seem logical that some type of standard has to exist for such a choice to be made? If that standard is "subjective" then the choice will be totally based on the individuals personal preference. If the standard is "objective" then the choice will be made on the evidence. For example, we have a number of religions who claim to be the one true religion. How can we determine which, if any of these, is indeed the true religion? The answer has to be in the standard that is used. If you are a Cathoilc you believe both the Bible and Catholic Tradition as being the only objective standard. If you are a "Christian" you believe that the Bible is the only standard. If a Musalim, the Koran. No answer to the original question can be reached until a standard is accepted. A Mason, for example, is taught that there are a number of "books of faith" that contain truth in them. This allows them to embrace those of different faiths in their organization. I believe the Bible to be the only objective standard in matters of faith. Thus to answer the original question is easy for me. What is the true religion? The only one that Jesus established. That is not about it, THAT IS IT.
Prosecutor

Master Vigil

Spinks, religion and spirituality is not about the name you give it. You could call it ahnaslkhsfism and it still wouldn't matter. It is not about the words, the books, the standards, etc.. It is about what you feel deep down. You once told me that you find the world beautiful and mystical through the eyes of science, why change that? However you see the world the most beautiful, use it. Don't get caught up in all the definitions, books, words, teachings, leaders, messiahs, prophets, gods, goddesses, spirits, etc... Find the spot deep in your self, grab it, and don't let go. Thats all that matters.

Joannicius

Vigil
I don't understand how anyone can deny the importance of definitions, where would we be without them?

I think I would be dragging my wife/girlfriend/? to my cave so I can try to find some definition!
We are creatures of definition or we are not at all.

Master Vigil

"I don't understand how anyone can deny the importance of definitions, where would we be without them?"

The importance of definitions are only for people who rely on those definitions. Words are finite and cannot come close to the spiritual. People hold on to those definitions because they rely on words more than what they really experience. Because of definitions we get intolerance, wars, hatred, etc... Without them, well, theres nothing to fight over. Hence, there is peace.

Bondi

prosecutor said:
A Mason, for example, is taught that there are a number of "books of faith" that contain truth in them. This allows them to embrace those of different faiths in their organization. I believe the Bible to be the only objective standard in matters of faith.
Not wanting to side track your discussion, but I am afraid this statement is incorrect. A freemason is not taught anything with regards to religion or faith. There is no teaching of equality, or that all are same, the only thing regarding religion is that the person petitioning to join has to believe in a supreme being. The concept is outrageous to many people of faith as they feel to acknowledge another faith is against there own. From freemasonry's standpoint they do not say one is right, and again do not say one is wrong. They leave it to the inidividual to find their own faith. If you ask a Christian Mason (I know there is debate as to whether a person can be both, but not wanting to get into that in your thread) how many books of faith there are, there will be only one, but he acknowledges that every man may choose his own faith and he simple respects the choices of others who do not necessarily agree with his own.

Reactions: Pah

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Master Vigil said:
Spinks, religion and spirituality is not about the name you give it. You could call it ahnaslkhsfism and it still wouldn't matter. It is not about the words, the books, the standards, etc.. It is about what you feel deep down. You once told me that you find the world beautiful and mystical through the eyes of science, why change that? However you see the world the most beautiful, use it. Don't get caught up in all the definitions, books, words, teachings, leaders, messiahs, prophets, gods, goddesses, spirits, etc... Find the spot deep in your self, grab it, and don't let go. Thats all that matters.
As usual, Master Vigil has put the answer in a nutshell. I was surprised to see so many answers, some of them full of tortology, to what I would have thought was answerable with one phrase of MV
"Find the spot deep in your self, grab it, and don't let go"
I hope you find it.:)

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
It's easy to say "just grab it and go", but you should always "Count the Cost" first.

What does the religion require of you?
Are you willing to sacrifice that?
%100???

Most people approach religion with the desire to do as little as possible to "get in". It is no more than fire insurance to them. In that respect, many have "embraced" lesser forms of their religion, letting the god of Mediocrity guide their way.

Their happiness is fleeting and frustration marks their existence. In trying tofind freedom they have fallen in a trap and are bound merely by a shell of the religion.

Count the cost. If you are not willing to pay it, then there are many other happier ways that will suit you just fine and end up at the same place.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
[PART QUOTE=NetDoc]It's easy to say "just grab it and go", but you should always "Count the Cost" first.

What does the religion require of you?
Are you willing to sacrifice that?
%100???]Quote.
As far as I am concerned, my Religious Faith has to be 'in tandem' with my moral principles; infact the only difference between Religion and moral principles (For me) is that the former is the acknowledgement that the moral principles are the same ones as the ones that define my Faith. For me, there is nothing to sacrifice.
Am I being too simplistic? does that make sense?:)

Scuba Pete

For me, there is nothing to sacrifice.
If you believe in "Truth" then you will sacrifice feelings.

If you believe in "Doing Right" then you will sacrifice "convenience".

If you believe in "Sacrificial Love" then you will sacrifice "yourself".

Nothing noble comes without a sacrifice. Nothing.

Greatness is not seen in the "act" but in the preparation for the act.

Greatness is not seen in the concert hall, but in the practice room.

Greatness is not seen in the operating room, but in the years of study and practice before that.

Greatness is not seen in the sermon or the singing, but in serving those outside the church.

Everything good requires a sacrificce.

Master Vigil

Net Doc, the spiritual is in you no matter what you sacrifice. It is like being in love, excpet your in love with everything. But that doesn't mean you should count your costs. Everyone wants to be in love, spirituality is like love without the nagging wife. :) The problem I have with alot of christianity is that it promotes guilt. I say, just love!

Pah

Uber all member
Sorry Doc, sacrifice is only one way to see the path. The same end, the same result can be had by love. I don't see a life of sacriice as a good journey but only as a dismissal of self.

Scuba Pete

The problem I have with alot of christianity is that it promotes guilt. I say, just love!
Maybe you are only exposed to pseudo-Christianity.

John 13:34 "A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. 35 By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another."

If you know them for ANY OTHER REASON, then they are probably NOT true Christians.

NetDoc said:
Count the cost. If you are not willing to pay it, then there are many other happier ways that will suit you just fine and end up at the same place.
How does the cost a religion requires have anything to do with whether or not its doctrines are true? For example, how does the fact that I don't feel like praying while facing Mecca every day falsify the miracles allegedly performed by Mohommad in the Koran?

A lot of people so far have answered by basically saying "go with what works for you". But whether something "works for me" or not has nothing to do with whether or not it is true. I want to have faith in something that's true. So by what method can I determine the validity, for example, of the Hindu claim that Brahman says cows are sacred, and thereby decide whether or not to have faith in this claim?

Scuba Pete

How does the cost a religion requires have anything to do with whether or not its doctrines are true?
It has nothing to do with their validity. It has EVERYTHING to do with following them though.