• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In What Ways are You Different From How People Perceive You?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
In what way or ways are you a different person from how others perceive you? Both online and off.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
Although I haven't made it a secret that I'm shy and quiet, I think you'd still be surprised by the extent of it and my nerdy awkwardness. I've seen worse, though, on occasion.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I don't know how others perceive me online or elsewhere so I can't answer that. And mostly I'm not bothered in both cases. :oops:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In what way or ways are you a different person from how others perceive you? Both online and off.

Interesting. (I've been reflecting on this.) I would have phrased it differently: In what ways is your perception of yourself different than other's perception. I've found from observation through the years that the hardest person to get to know is yourself.

Here's an example on something really simple: chronological age. Recently a friend of mine told me that he doesn't look like a senior. I went, "Whoa!" to myself. The guy definitely looks like a senior to me. So it got me thinking. Personally, I don't feel like a senior (I am one) because of the physical stuff I can still do, from good health. But when I look in a mirror I know darn well this physical body is aging.

I think some folks have conditioned themselves into thinking they're something they're not, and it goes both ways. Some folks have a higher opinion of themselves than the reality, while others have a much lower opinion.

I do think a key for understanding yourself is to actually listen to what others say, although it's also wise to consider the source.

This on line stuff is particularly difficult, as all we have to observe are words on a screen. We can't see a smile, or a fake smile, and many people are hesitant to share the stuff they do, (and they might distort that) or their actions, rather than thoughts, and as the saying goes ... actions speak louder than words.

Last edited:

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know how I'm perceived online, but what people know about me in forums such as this are based on what I choose to share. I think online I might seem more sarcastic than I usually am.
Offline, I'm somewhat secretive. I'm shy about sharing all sorts of ideas I have with other people.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think i can be seen more as a negative person online, then i would do in daily life.
That may come from my critique both of my self and others online from time to time. But also from how I see the world through my own belief.

Hmm. I see you as a positive person, just occasionally, on very very rare occasions, starting a thread that kind of leads to destructive responses against you. But to be fair, I haven't seen such a thread in many many months. And my view of you is positive, I see you as a regular staple of the community.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Hmm. I see you as a positive person, just occasionally, on very very rare occasions, starting a thread that kind of leads to destructive responses against you. But to be fair, I haven't seen such a thread in many many months. And my view of you is positive, I see you as a regular staple of the community.
Thank you @KAT-KAT :) I do try my best to be positive :) maybe the negative is only within my own head, so when I do write here it does not shine through as much as I think my self :)
But happy you have a good impression of me, and I can say the same to you, I find you to be a good person, and even we have not written that much in response to each other, I think it could be interesting to respond more to your threads :)

Terry Sampson

Off-line, I walk on water often, have fed thousands from time to time, and have been known to raise a deadbeat. On-line, I exercise considerable self-restraint.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I practiced in the bathtub a lot in my youth.
Toddler on the water :confused:
hqdefault.jpg

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I'm not as tall as I seem online...

Seriously, people in real life have a very hard time believing I am 70 both physically and mentally.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I don't know. I am an Aspie, so how other humans in part see me, is off limits to me in some sense.

So how I do I see myself - I am a philosophy nerd and a strong skeptic, so I am weird. As for personality I am introvert, big surprise. I can be a pain in the *** because I demand of others that they can understand the world beyond their own subjective understanding. Otherwise my wife say I am somewhat nice and caring, but I can be stern and sometimes to much.

Regards
Mikkel

I can be a pain in the *** because I demand of others that they can understand the world beyond their own subjective understanding. Otherwise my wife say I am somewhat nice and caring, but I can be stern and sometimes to much.

Regards
Mikkel

I demand the same: many obvious things should be plain as day to most people. But alas they are not and so one may resign oneself to it, while saving some sanity in the process. Stern, I'm guilty of too but it doesn't conflict with my underlying happiness and good humor.

It seems the difference between yourself and how others see you can land you along a spectrum. At one end is total correlation of the two, where a personality might be fully transparent. At the other end is feeble delusion, a psyche at odds with social reality. "Ugly" people who think they are beautiful, and "beautiful" people who think they are ugly.

PureX

Veteran Member
I look and live like Ralph Cramden, so people are often surprised to discover that I've had a very interesting life, read many books, hold a master's degree in fine art, and am generally a very thoughtful and intelligent man. That's not so much the case on the internet, though, because no one is judging me, here, by how I look or live.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think i can be seen more as a negative person online, then i would do in daily life.
That may come from my critique both of my self and others online from time to time. But also from how I see the world through my own belief.
Negative?
You're relentlessly positive.
I think some might mistake your candor with opinions &
exploring them for a wee bit'o intolerance. I know better.