• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In what ideas should we believe?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
How should we reason it then?
Examine the evidence and argumentations with our best objective logical and analytical skills. How do we form beliefs on any subject? By using our best reasoning skills.

Consequently, I don't believe in unicorns but I do believe in a pantheist worldview and spiritual planes using my reasoning.

Last edited:

Curious George

Veteran Member
Examine the evidence and argumentations with our best objective logical and analytical skills. How do we form beliefs on any subject? By using our best reasoning skills.
Are you saying then that we should believe in that for which there is the strongest evidence and that which is the most logical?

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Not so sure. Some might argue to "follow hunches" or to "go with the gut" or a pragmatist might that we should believe in whatever ameliorates our society or whatever works, regardless of truth. There are certainly more options.
Good point. In my first post, I mentioned I had a logical and analytical bent, so maybe I am speaking particularly for people of my bent. I do appreciate there are other types of people.

jcforever

I mean the idea that we merely believe what someone else plans for us to believe, and we have no say in it is depressing.

Why would life be depressing knowing that it was all planned out for us? It's much more relaxing to live according to a plan than it is to try create life yourself. Can you imagine trying to plan out your own future when you don't know the outcome?

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Why would life be depressing knowing that it was all planned out for us? It's much more relaxing to live according to a plan than it is to try create life yourself. Can you imagine trying to plan out your own future when you don't know the outcome?
How else can you feel empowered to have some kind of impact on your future? And, if this applies to everyone, wouldn't it be letting the really bad people off the hook? I mean, it wouldn't be their fault that God made this plan for them. They had no way of getting out of it.

jcforever

How else can you feel empowered to have some kind of impact on your future? And, if this applies to everyone, wouldn't it be letting the really bad people off the hook? I mean, it wouldn't be their fault that God made this plan for them. They had no way of getting out of it.

Who are the bad people? Bad people think other people are the bad people from their point of view. They are living according to the plan, also.

Isaiah 45:7
I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.

Deuteronomy 32
39: "`See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god beside me; I kill and I make alive; I wound and I heal; and there is none that can deliver out of my hand.

Exodus 4:
10: But Moses said to the LORD, "Oh, my Lord, I am not eloquent, either heretofore or since thou hast spoken to thy servant; but I am slow of speech and of tongue."
11: Then the LORD said to him, "Who has made man's mouth? Who makes him dumb, or deaf, or seeing, or blind? Is it not I, the LORD?
12: Now therefore go, and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall speak."

Psalm 33
8: Let all the earth fear the LORD, let all the inhabitants of the world stand in awe of him!
9: For he spoke, and it came to be; he commanded, and it stood forth.
10: The LORD brings the counsel of the nations to nought; he frustrates the plans of the peoples.
11: The counsel of the LORD stands for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations.
12: Blessed is the nation whose God is the LORD, the people whom he has chosen as his heritage!
13: The LORD looks down from heaven, he sees all the sons of men;
14: from where he sits enthroned he looks forth on all the inhabitants of the earth,
15: he who fashions the hearts of them all, and observes all their deeds.
16: A king is not saved by his great army; a warrior is not delivered by his great strength.
17: The war horse is a vain hope for victory, and by its great might it cannot save.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Who are the bad people? Bad people think other people are the bad people from their point of view. They are living according to the plan, also.
How about we start with people like Adolf Hitler, Heidrich Himmler, Reinhardt Heidrich and Joseph Stalin (just to name a few from WWII)? Were they just fulfilling God's plan?

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
In the ones that are based on verifiable evidence which can be also confirmed and replicated by any human.

By that token I should not believe in the sun. Unless you replace an "and" with an "or".

Ciao

- viole