• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the US there is a new COVID-19 variant that could be more resistant to vaccines.

We Never Know

No Slack
The lambda variant, first detected in Peru in August 2020 and spreading through South America, made its way to the U.S. for the first time on July 22 in a Houston hospital.

There are 1,053 cases of the lambda variant in the U.S. since the first case was detected, according to GISAID, an initiative dedicated to promoting COVID-19 data through genomic sequencing.

Japanese researchers at the University of Tokyo posted a lambda variant study that shows it is highly infectious and more resistant to COVID-19 vaccines.

This study posted on July 28 on bioRxiv, a database for unpublished preprinted studies, has not been peer reviewed or published.

The study shows three mutations in the lambda variant's spike protein — RSYLTPGD246-253N, 260 L452Q and F490S — which allow for the variant to resist vaccine-induced neutralizing antibodies. Two other mutations — T76I and L452Q — are responsible for making lambda highly infectious.

Is the lambda variant vaccine resistant? What we know about the COVID-19 variant as delta surges

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
The lambda variant, first detected in Peru in August 2020 and spreading through South America, made its way to the U.S. for the first time on July 22 in a Houston hospital.

There are 1,053 cases of the lambda variant in the U.S. since the first case was detected, according to GISAID, an initiative dedicated to promoting COVID-19 data through genomic sequencing.

Japanese researchers at the University of Tokyo posted a lambda variant study that shows it is highly infectious and more resistant to COVID-19 vaccines.

This study posted on July 28 on bioRxiv, a database for unpublished preprinted studies, has not been peer reviewed or published.

The study shows three mutations in the lambda variant's spike protein — RSYLTPGD246-253N, 260 L452Q and F490S — which allow for the variant to resist vaccine-induced neutralizing antibodies. Two other mutations — T76I and L452Q — are responsible for making lambda highly infectious.

Is the lambda variant vaccine resistant? What we know about the COVID-19 variant as delta surges
With all we now know about covid I am confident that if this is resistant to the vaccines an new effective vaccine will be developed in record time.

And then people won’t take it.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

So far looking I only see information on news sites, I'm wondering if WHO and CDC caught up with it already or?

AlexanderG

We've seen it before in biology, enough to make the confident prediction: If half a population is resistant to a virus, and the virus is happily spreading and mutating in the other half, then it's only a matter of time before a mutation arises that can overcome the resistance of the protected half. This will be the true legacy of Trump and all his enablers and imitators, carrying on long after he's gone.

Granted, COVID is still spreading and mutating in the rest of the world, but it can't help to have an entire portfolio of alternative-fact, anti-vax propaganda crafted and promulgated by one of the most authoritative countries in the world.

Suave

Simulated character

I'd like the U.S. to send mRNA based vaccines to Brazil, they are an under vaccinated population and their C.O.V.I.D.-19 death toll is on course to exceed the U.S. C.O.V.I.D.-19 death toll. The Lambda variant remained undetected for many months there because it was frequently mistaken for Gamma—the variant first identified in Brazil and also known as P.1.

SHOT OF HOPE
Pfizer and Moderna vaccines effective against deadly Lambda variant, study shows
Pfizer & Moderna vaccines effective against deadly Lambda variant, study shows

exchemist

Veteran Member

On the other hand there is also this paper, also recent and from Japan, that suggests the λ variant remains susceptible to antibodies generated from vaccination: SARS-CoV-2 Lambda Variant Remains Susceptible to Neutralization by mRNA Vaccine-elicited Antibodies and Convalescent Serum

So we have two studies that seem, at least to an outsider, to be in some degree of conflict. Neither has been reviewed or formally published. This suggests to me that we should wait a bit to let the experts pick their way through this, before we draw too many conclusions.

The fact that the λ variant does not seem to have spread at anything like the rate of the δ variant may be cause for some optimism.

I am sure the WHO will have been on the case for some time and no doubt the CDC will be on it too, now that it has shown up in Texas.

At some point soon, I imagine, the vaccine manufacturers will need to take a view of all these variants and decide how to tweak the vaccines for the booster shots that we will most likely need in due course. Just as has been done for years now by the WHO every year, for 'flu'.

We Never Know

No Slack
The variants seem to start in other countries then get brought into the US. Which again is why I support curbing down traveling and upping screenings on travelers.

Besides the OP there is also....

B.1.1.7 (Alpha): This variant was first detected in the United States in December 2020. It was initially detected in the United Kingdom.

B.1.351 (Beta): This variant was first detected in the United States at the end of January 2021. It was initially detected in South Africa in December 2020.

P.1 (Gamma): This variant was first detected in the United States in January 2021. P.1 was initially identified in travelers from Brazil, who were tested during routine screening at an airport in Japan, in early January.

B.1.617.2 (Delta): This variant was first detected in the United States in March 2021. It was initially identified in India in December 2020.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Edit....Another new one in the news today.

Delta plus
First identified in Europe in March, the variant is also known as B. 1.617.2.1 or AY.1.

Last edited:

We Never Know

No Slack
On the other hand there is also this paper, also recent and from Japan, that suggests the λ variant remains susceptible to antibodies generated from vaccination: SARS-CoV-2 Lambda Variant Remains Susceptible to Neutralization by mRNA Vaccine-elicited Antibodies and Convalescent Serum

So we have two studies that seem, at least to an outsider, to be in some degree of conflict. Neither has been reviewed or formally published. This suggests to me that we should wait a bit to let the experts pick their way through this, before we draw too many conclusions.

The fact that the λ variant does not seem to have spread at anything like the rate of the δ variant may be cause for some optimism.

I am sure the WHO will have been on the case for some time and no doubt the CDC will be on it too, now that it has shown up in Texas.

At some point soon, I imagine, the vaccine manufacturers will need to take a view of all these variants and decide how to tweak the vaccines for the booster shots that we will most likely need in due course. Just as has been done for years now by the WHO every year, for 'flu'.

There are conflicting studies on a few things about covid, which in my opinion helps spread doubt.

We Never Know

No Slack
We’re getting to the point where covid is going to become endemic with yearly strains and over time a lot of people are going to die because we’re collectively a nation of ignorant people.
Yep. I said that a year ago. Its going to be a yearly thing like the flu and pneumonia with one difference being the flu and pneumonia seasons mainly being in the winter months, covid will also be around during the summer months.

exchemist

Veteran Member
There are conflicting studies on a few things about covid, which in my opinion helps spread doubt.
Well that's science for you, especially if you try to go upstream of the officially published work, and start digging about in pre-prints that have not been reviewed yet.

The people "spreading doubt" are the people that impatiently publicise work that has neither been reviewed nor set in context by competent authorities.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Once again the responsible will be punished by the ignorance of others.

Hmm.. I would say the responsible will be challenged by the ignorance of others. I suppose an inherent need to put a positive spin on everything.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

If an asteroid falls on our cars, then safety belts are useless, too. That does not entail that using safety belts is useless in general.

Ciao

- viole

We Never Know

No Slack
If an asteroid falls on our cars, then safety belts are useless, too. That does not entail that using safety belts is useless in general.

Ciao

- viole

You missed this post. And my OP wasn't about not taking or taking the vaccine.

The variants seem to start in other countries then get brought into the US. Which again is why I support curbing down traveling and upping screenings on travelers.

Besides the OP there is also....

B.1.1.7 (Alpha): This variant was first detected in the United States in December 2020. It was initially detected in the United Kingdom.

B.1.351 (Beta): This variant was first detected in the United States at the end of January 2021. It was initially detected in South Africa in December 2020.

P.1 (Gamma): This variant was first detected in the United States in January 2021. P.1 was initially identified in travelers from Brazil, who were tested during routine screening at an airport in Japan, in early January.

B.1.617.2 (Delta): This variant was first detected in the United States in March 2021. It was initially identified in India in December 2020.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)

Edit....Another new one in the news today.

Delta plus
First identified in Europe in March, the variant is also known as B. 1.617.2.1 or AY.1.

Jose Fly

Fisker of men
We’re getting to the point where covid is going to become endemic with yearly strains and over time a lot of people are going to die because we’re collectively a nation of ignorant people.
When the pandemic started and we saw how Trump and Republicans immediately politicized various aspects of it, my wife (a nurse) and I (a biologist) sadly agreed that the likely outcome would be that the virus is just going to run through the population, probably multiple times, and whoever survives will be left.

Nature is cruel, impersonal, and oftentimes ugly.....and it doesn't care about your politics.

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
Hmm.. I would say the responsible will be challenged by the ignorance of others. I suppose an inherent need to put a positive spin on everything.
Hundreds of thousands are already dead. I am well past pleasantries at this point.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
With all we now know about covid I am confident that if this is resistant to the vaccines an new effective vaccine will be developed in record time.

And then people won’t take it.
Most people will take it. The minority who won't is melting away and finally will leave a hard core minority.