1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Featured In the beginning

Discussion in 'Interfaith Discussion' started by Gerry, May 15, 2019.

1. wellwisher

wellwisher Active Member

Ratings:
    +209
    Religion:
    Catholic
    The best science concept, that answers your question, is time. In the beginning, means the same as when the clock starts to tick or the stop watch is activated. Time plays a unifying role in our inertial universe, that is composed of matter. When time begins, so does the universe. Science starts time at the big bang. This is called t=0.

God is eternal, therefore the concept of time does fully define the nature of God. In the beginning, God created time, which was different from the eternal nature of God. Once time appears, there is a new subset of the eternal, with this subset having a beginning and an end, with Genesis discussing the beginning.

In Revelations 21, the old or current universe will disappear, and a new universe will be created. The old clock strikes twelve, and the potential within universal time expires. The clock is then wound again, for a new universe. The ancients had a concept analogous to time potential.

In Einstein's theory of Special Relativity, the speed of light is the dividing line between eternal time and finite time. Matter cannot move at the speed of light. It would take infinite energy. The speed of light is a line in the sand, between eternal and temporal time; inertial universe. Let there be light; speed of light, created the line in the sand from which time will appear.

In Revelations 21, God is the alpha and omega; first and last. This seems to indicate that in the new universe, God steps out of eternity, to become part of the new subset of time. He dwells among his creation as a part of time.

2. Thief

Thief Rogue Theologian

Ratings:
    +3,253
    my copy reads.....dominate all things....

that would be Man's ability to outwit his surroundings

Chapter Two is not a retelling of Chapter One

3. David T

David T Well-Known Member
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +2,809
    Well since the foreground of the story seems invisible to you one has to ask why the facination with the background state of the story? What draws you to that exactly? Your reading comprehension level seems low.

4. BilliardsBall

BilliardsBall Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +574
    Religion:
    Messianic Jewish Christianity
    Light/timespace/finite time from a beginning point, for human reference

5. ChristineM

ChristineM "Be strong" I whispered to my coffee.
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +9,798
    Religion:
    None
    Whatever you want him to have created.

6. Sky Rivers

Sky Rivers Active Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Religion:
    Christian
    If the planet originated from a sphere or plane of or covered entirely by water, perhaps. However, the planetary evolution myth declares the world was formed molten and the Bible doesn’t.

7. Jos

Jos Active Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Religion:
    Agnostic Theist
    How do you think the planet was formed? And how do you know that cosmological evolution is a myth?

8. metis

metis aged ecumenical anthropologist

Ratings:
    +11,972
    Religion:
    Catholic-- liberal & ecumenical
    My guess: everything-- but long before even the Big Bang since I think it's likely that we are a part of a multiverse, not just a universe, that may well go back into infinity, which is slightly older than I am.

9. Sky Rivers

Sky Rivers Active Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Religion:
    Christian
    Does it matter to you how I think the world was formed? I’d just be giving you my opinion, not necessarily facts., right?

As for your second question... I don’t.

10. Gerry

Gerry Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +711
    Religion:
    Christian
    Sadly, it appears that most people have misplaced their endowment.

11. Gerry

Gerry Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +711
    Religion:
    Christian
    I enjoyed all the thoughtful responses so far.
    Many varied and interesting ideas.

My thinking processes have been shaped from so many different influences over the years, that I now see that 10 word verse as something much more personal and intimate. A statement of a beginning, and a creation, within me. Of a new creation. A beginning of something dramatic that is explained further in detail as the story unfolds.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,985
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    Indeed.....we are now mentally, morally, physically and spiritually, flawed because of sin. (Romans 5:12) It has corrupted us to our very core.

But our original design was absolute perfection....a fitting endowment, but ruined by disobedience. :(

13. Native

Native Natural Philosopher

Ratings:
    +193
    Religion:
    Animism
    When dealing with creation myths, it´s very important to know of the creation myth symbolism in order to find the correct interpretation.

The mythical term of the "Cosmic Ocean" or "Heavenly Waters" refers to the realms from which "firm matter" is created. This "firm matter" in the biblical myth is confused by many readers to mean "the Earth", which is wrong.

Most ancient stories of creation in fact confirms the basical telling in modern science and in some cases the ancient stoieys are better and more logic because of the ancient cyclical world view.

Some links to read here:
    Cosmic ocean - Wikipedia
    Creation myth - Wikipedia
    List of creation myths - Wikipedia

14. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,985
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    You need more than one copy. Having a variety of translations enhances your understanding. And you need a reliable concordance. "Dominion" is not "domination". Dominion is stewardship.

"Outwit his surroundings"? If God provided all that humans needed and more, then why the need to outwit anything?
    They were given the best possible start, but they threw that life away, thinking that they could manage their own affairs independently. What a huge mistake!

Genesis ch1 is the story and order of creation. Chapter 2 is the history, which provides details that the first chapter leaves out. They are cohesive and complementary IMO.

15. Jos

Jos Active Member

Ratings:
    +106
    Religion:
    Agnostic Theist
    Fair enough.
    Given that you wrote "planetary evolution myth" I guess I must have gotten the wrong idea.

16. Samana Johann

Samana Johann Restricted by request

Ratings:
    +175
    Religion:
    Dhamma-Vinaya
    Maybe a more than 2500 years old teaching may be of help to get things good sorted:

“There are some contemplatives & brahmans who are partially eternalists and partially non-eternalists, who proclaim a partially eternal and partially non-eternal self & cosmos on four grounds.[7] And with reference to what, coming from what, are these honorable contemplatives & brahmans partially eternalists and partially non-eternalists who proclaim a partially eternal and partially non-eternal self & cosmos on four grounds?

17. Gerry

Gerry Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +711
    Religion:
    Christian
    Makes sense to me.

18. Deeje

Deeje Avid Bible Student
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +4,985
    Religion:
    Christian JW
    When you step back and look at the big picture, it all makes perfect sense....but when you take bits and pieces and try to fit them into a preconceived idea, nothing adds up. The big picture is awesome! :)

19. Thief

Thief Rogue Theologian

Ratings:
    +3,253
    have several.....
    do·min·ion
    [dəˈminyən]
    NOUN​

1. sovereignty or control.
      "man's attempt to establish dominion over nature"
      synonyms:
      supremacy · ascendancy · dominance · domination · superiority ·