• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the Beginning...of What?

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
What? The first word of the Bible is בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית (beresheit), It is composed of the prefix “b-“ which modified the root to mean “in” in this case. The root is a conjugated form of “Rosh”. Rosh means head but also can mean front, start, or beginning, which is the case here. The suffix “-‘t” makes it a particular declarative. So it translates to “in (the) beginning”.
Genesis 1:1 (NKJV)
I don't know, there's a lot of discrepancy (I think) between the Jewish translations and the multitude of other manuscripts.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member
The New Testament speaks of the third heaven.... some say the atmosphere is 1st, space 2nd, place where God dwells 3rd... how about that?

However, the NT is Not talking about Genesis chapter one.
I hope this will help you understand what I mean:
Please note at 2 Peter 3:5; 2 Peter 3:7; and 2 Peter 3:13 there are three (3) heavens and three (3) earth's mentioned.
(1) first, there is the heavens and earth of OLD of Noah's day at verse 5
(2) second, there are the heavens and earth of NOW meaning from Noah's day to our day at verse 7.
(3) third, the coming NEW heavens and earth. (thousand-year governing rule over earth by Christ Jesus) verse 13.

In Scripture, heavens (and even mountains) can refer to those governing over mankind, because they make rules or laws that can symbolically ' tower over ' mankind. So, besides literal heavens we have symbolic heavens.
So, the NEW heavens of verse 13 is the NEW governing heavens under Christ besides earth's literal heavens.
Since the wicked will be gone (Proverbs 2:21-22; Psalms 92:7), then the NEW earth is a NEW earthly society of righteous people starting with the upright people mentioned at Matthew 25:31-33,37,40.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
However, the NT is Not talking about Genesis chapter one.
I hope this will help you understand what I mean:
Please note at 2 Peter 3:5; 2 Peter 3:7; and 2 Peter 3:13 there are three (3) heavens and three (3) earth's mentioned.
(1) first, there is the heavens and earth of OLD of Noah's day at verse 5
(2) second, there are the heavens and earth of NOW meaning from Noah's day to our day at verse 7.
(3) third, the coming NEW heavens and earth. (thousand-year governing rule over earth by Christ Jesus) verse 13.

In Scripture, heavens (and even mountains) can refer to those governing over mankind, because they make rules or laws that can symbolically ' tower over ' mankind. So, besides literal heavens we have symbolic heavens.
So, the NEW heavens of verse 13 is the NEW governing heavens under Christ besides earth's literal heavens.
Since the wicked will be gone (Proverbs 2:21-22; Psalms 92:7), then the NEW earth is a NEW earthly society of righteous people starting with the upright people mentioned at Matthew 25:31-33,37,40.
John was called to the third heaven. Can you point out the three heavens in Genesis 1?

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
True... doesn't make sense of being called up to a future heaven..
Ok, an astute observation. I see this in Genesis1:1. There is God, a world that is formless and void and a heaven of uncertain nature. Heaven seems to be plural in nature yet can exist as a singular. It's the plural that intrigues me. In light of Jesus saying that in his father's house are many mansions and that his Kingdom is not of this world. Was He discussing the heaven of 1:1?

Shaul

Premium Member
Genesis 1:1 (NKJV)
I don't know, there's a lot of discrepancy (I think) between the Jewish translations and the multitude of other manuscripts.
Translations don’t matter over the original Hebrew text. Jews use the original text. Cause, you know, they were given to us and Hebrew is our language.