• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In the Beginning...of What?

David T

Premium Member
The first the words of the Bible. Why does this mean the beginning of the universe?
I read it as existence like our life had a locus a start. But I also understand that there is a horizon and beyond is physical. So here we go we zip as far as the mind can see. For me a long long ways. Now that we are way out here where ever that may be. Look down at your feet. There is mother earth right there. Where ever you go she is always there no matter what. And so to me she is huuuuuuuige... In a good way and we are little. :) I know who's boss.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I read it as existence like our life had a locus a start. But I also understand that there is a horizon and beyond is physical. So here we go we zip as far as the mind can see. For me a long long ways. Now that we are way out here where ever that may be. Look down at your feet. There is mother earth right there. Where ever you go she is always there no matter what. And so to me she is huuuuuuuige... In a good way and we are little. :) I know who's boss.
I didn't see much about Scripture here bit I'm glad you had a nice flight.

shunyadragon

shunyadragon
Premium Member
The first the words of the Bible. Why does this mean the beginning of the universe?

It has no reference, because the science of the beginnings was not known at the time. In modern cosmology there are a number of possible beginnings, and possibly there was no beginning of our universe. It is possible that our universe is cyclic, possibly one universe among an infinite number in a multiverse, and possibly began as a black hole among many.

The universe at the time was simply our solar system from an Aristotle's perspective with e earth at the center. Most likely it was simply meant that God Created everything.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I don't know what else it could possibly mean. It says, "In the beginning..." and then goes on to describe the creation of the universe. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with God's existence, as He had existed prior to the creation of our universe, which I believe was not His first creation.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
It has no reference, because the science of the beginnings was not known at the time. In modern cosmology there are a number of possible beginnings, and possibly there was no beginning of our universe. It is possible that our universe is cyclic, possibly one universe among an infinite number in a multiverse, and possibly began as a black hole among many.

The universe at the time was simply our solar system from an Aristotle's perspective. Most likely it was simply meant that God Created everything.
It's not a science book. It starts a story though.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
I don't know what else it could possibly mean. It says, "In the beginning..." and then goes on to describe the creation of the universe. It certainly doesn't have anything to do with God's existence, as He had existed prior to the creation of our universe, which I believe was not His first creation.
Ok, let's go a bit slower. I.know you know your Bible. In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth. Why haven't we discovered the physicality of heaven?

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

I agree that the material universe was Not God's first creation because according to Revelation 3:14 B the pre-human heavenly Jesus was God's beginning creation.

URAVIP2ME

Veteran Member

First, God created the heaven(s), so we have a spirit heavens, and the mid-heavens where the birds fly, besides outer space. God's home is heaven as per 1 Kings 8:39,49 meaning residing in the 'spirit heavens' which would be a realm independent of the material universe. Basically I find Genesis is about getting Earth ready for mankind to inhabit Earth. So, Genesis is Not so much dealing about matter or the material universe, but how Earth was arranged and prepared for us. To me, the beginning of the universe would be the beginning or the start of a permanent material/physical realm of existence for us.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Literally or not, I'm looking to understand the words themselves.
It is repeatedly talking about separating A and B -- seas from clouds, Adam from the garden, Enoch from other people, Noah from other people, Abraham from Ur, Isaac from Ishmael, Jacob from Laban, Joseph from his brothers, on and on. Older and younger sons. It all leads to Israel separating from Egypt which launches into Israel's separation from all kinds of other things.

socharlie

it rather say: God designed a plan...
Below is Fabre d'Olivete page from
"The Hebraic Tongue Restored"

BookReaderImages.php

Last edited:

David T

Premium Member
I didn't see much about Scripture here bit I'm glad you had a nice flight.
well origi

The universe at the time was simply our solar system from an Aristotle's perspective with e earth at the center. Most likely it was simply meant that God Created everything.
Im asking why it's assumed to be creation story?
Because that's what we have been taught for a long time.