1. Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In tears from listening to

Discussion in 'Theravada DIR' started by Amanaki, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Amanaki

Amanaki sotāpanna

Ratings:
    +1,574
    Religion:
    Cultivator of Buddha Dhamma
    Are there other Buddhists here who have experienced tears flowing when listening to the Dhamma?
    I have experienced this a few times now, but i do not cling to it, just wish to know what others have experienced?

2. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +7,692
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    I think you need to get out into the world more. Shake off the funk.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Amanaki

Amanaki sotāpanna

Ratings:
    +1,574
    Religion:
    Hehe :) i have heard that dedicated cultivators can experience tears of pure joy when listen to the dhamma

4. Nowhere Man

Nowhere Man Bompu Zen Man with a little bit of Bushido.

Ratings:
    +7,692
    Religion:
    Zen Buddhism
    I actually cried during a Pentecostal service. Tears streaming down my cheeks. Oh holy Joy!! Praise Jesus and all that. Fell on the floor , did all that crazy stuff pentecostals do. Slain in the spirit.

It's pretty much the same thing in retrospect.

I suppose the best thing to do is just ride along with it , do it till you can't do it no more, and enjoy the ride as long as you're able to enjoy it.

I want to tell you it's just the rising and falling of the skandhas but being this is Theravada maybe it's best to just recommend Bhikkhu Buddhadasa's
    "Handbook for Mankind" once the waterworks stop.

Buddhadasa Bhikkhu - Handbook for Mankind

It's just a compassionate way of telling you it's very easy to get into a realm of your own making.

Nothing really bad, nothing really wrong with it but it is funk that you can get yourself trapped in. But then again some people like it regardless. I get it. Sometimes I venture into the funk once in awhile, but I carry a key with me now in case I get too caught up in the bliss.

#4 Nowhere Man, Mar 21, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. ManSinha

ManSinha Active Member

Ratings:
    +467
    Religion:
    Sikh
    There are several compositions in the SGGS that evoke that emotion among people especially when put to music. Particularly those of the 5th Master and 9th Master - both of whom underwent religious persecution - whether it be said in a way of submission to the inevitable or acceptance, yes it can happen.

BUT - that said - I have noticed individuals that have that reaction in a well performed orchestra performance where Beethoven or Mozart was being performed. No religious overtones or connotations whatsoever

• Like Like x 3
  6. Amanaki

Amanaki sotāpanna

Ratings:
    +1,574
    Religion:
    The OP is about spiritual joy from wisdom arise when hearing true dhamma. Not about daily things like a movie, But i do understand what you mean :)

7. Shantanu

Shantanu Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +664
    Religion:
    Satya-advaita (Truth Accommodation)
    I see, I do have bliss from the practice of dharma and I write that down. If I am greatly moved I pay devotional reverences to God as the architect of my dharma.

8. Sirona

Sirona Hindu Wannabe

Ratings:
    +259
    Religion:
    Hinduism
    This thread reminds me of a quote from the Gaudiya Vaishnava prayer Sikshashtakam. It says:

O my Lord, when will my eyes be decorated with tears of love flowing constantly when I chant Your holy name? When will my voice choke up, and when will the hairs of my body stand on end at the recitation of Your name?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Aupmanyav

Aupmanyav Be your own guru

Ratings:
    +7,139
    Religion:
    I am an advaitist Hindu and a strong atheist.
    Nowhere Man, you are a tathagata. :)

10. ajay0

ajay0 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +864
    Tears flowing indicates the state of peak love and compassion, which is very meritorious as deep meditation.
    A lot of karma can be wiped out through this.

Even three times a day to offer
    Three hundred cooking pots of food
    Does not match a portion of the merit
    In one instant of love.
    - Nagarjuna (The Precious Garland, 283)

Love is a very pleasant feeling as well, and can help break the monotony of the sharp intellectual study and analysis usually done in buddhism.