• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In suffering, we discover our unity

Mark Dohle

upload_2018-9-23_10-54-57.png

In suffering, we discover our unity

March 29—After Communion. “Say, ‘Holy Father, I offer You Jesus living in my life and dying in my death. And I offer You the heart of Jesus in each one of my heartbeats.’ ”

Bossis, Gabrielle. He and I (Kindle Locations 693-695).
Pauline Books and Media. Kindle Edition.

The Christian path is one of love and service towards others. To belong to the Body of Christ is to invite suffering into our lives, because of the unity of hearts, united in the total human, loving heart, of the Sacred Heart of Jesus. His passion continues in the suffering of humanity.

Perhaps during this time of deep suffering in the church, many are learning of the truth of our union with the Crucified and Risen Lord. The pain that I feel, and I believe many, many, others, who are in the church are also experiencing, is so vast that it can’t be pinpointed to any one place. It seems universal, making my body, and my blood, feel toxic, because of the deep suffering of so many who have been deserted, overlooked, and abused by those who were called to be both shepherds, and servant, to those in their charge. Instead, they were simply used, bullied, and cast aside, as if they were ‘it’s’ instead of human beings made in the image and likeness of God. Who can understand the pain, and sorrow, that is now welling up in so many hearts? Both those in the church, and those worldwide who are witnessing this tragedy.

Yes, it is everywhere, sexual abuse and exploitation, but for a man of God, to abuse his power, so as to degrade others, is of a special nature, and needs to be brought to the light for healing, and yes, justice. Those abused become abusers (some of them), so the number grows with each generation, it is truly a cancer in the Body of Christ, and in our societies through the world. So we suffer with Christ Jesus, perhaps for the first time understanding our unity with Him.

Anger is an appropriate response, but rage is not. Now is the time to seek to follow the lead of our master, and savior, and to not seek revenge, or to turn on those who disagree with how this tragedy is to be dealt with. Now is the time to seek the Mind of Christ in our pain, and confusion, and yes, anger, and shame.

To lash out, or to become bitter, is to allow evil to win over our hearts. It is only by embracing Christ Jesus at this time, fully, without reserve, which we can get through this without deep harm to our minds and souls and others. Trust has been taken away, it has to be rebuilt. Perhaps the structure of the Church needs to be reconstructed into an organization, which actually seeks to serve the people of God, instead of using them.

We need to gather around those bishops, and priest, who are true to their calling and to pray for those who struggle and fail. Even if some need to be defrocked, and even to go to prison. We need to pray, even in the midst of anger, rage, and the desire to lash out to hurt someone. This is the death to self that Christ Jesus is calling each of us too.

I am not a peaceful man if left to myself. Yet Christ Jesus is calling me to become gentle in spirit, to forgo violence in thought, word, and deed. I find myself at war within my soul, yet I feel the grace of Jesus leading me forward, uniting my heart to all of those who struggle with the desire to lash out. It is now that we need to show the world there is a better way by drawing closer together and showing the power of the love and grace of our Lord. Jesus loved his enemies and forgave all on the cross. May we also allow Our Lord to incarnate into our hearts so as to allow His healing to flow through us to others.—Br.MD