• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In India, coronavirus fans religious hatred

danieldemol

Premium Member
Just a quick note, this article does come across to me just a little bit like an opinion piece, but it should generate some interesting discussion.

'After India’s health ministry repeatedly blamed an Islamic seminary for spreading the coronavirus — and governing party officials spoke of “human bombs” and “corona jihad” — a spree of anti-Muslim attacks has broken out across the country.

Young Muslim men who were passing out food to the poor were assaulted with cricket bats. Other Muslims have been beaten up, nearly lynched, run out of their neighbourhoods or attacked in mosques, branded as virus spreaders. In Punjab state, loudspeakers at Sikh temples broadcast messages telling people not to buy milk from Muslim dairy farmers because it was infected with coronavirus.

Hateful messages have bloomed online. And a wave of apparently fake videos has popped up telling Muslims not to wear masks, not to practice social distancing, not to worry about the virus at all, as if the makers of the videos wanted Muslims to get sick.

In a global pandemic, there is always the hunt for blame. President Donald Trump has done it, insisting for a time on calling the coronavirus a “Chinese virus.’’ All over the world people are pointing fingers, driven by their fears and anxieties to go after The Other.

In India, no other group has been demonised more than the country’s 200 million Muslims, minorities in a Hindu-dominated land of 1.3 billion people.

From the crackdown on Kashmir, a Muslim majority area, to a new citizenship law that blatantly discriminates against Muslims, this past year has been one low point after another for Indian Muslims living under an increasingly bold Hindu nationalist government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and propelled by majoritarian policies.

In this case, what’s making things worse is that there’s an element of truth behind the government’s claims. A single Muslim religious movement has been identified as being responsible for a large share of India’s 8,000-plus coronavirus cases. Indian officials estimated last week that more than a third of the country’s cases were connected to the group, Tablighi Jamaat, which held a huge gathering of preachers in India in March. Similar meetings in Malaysia and Pakistan also led to outbreaks.'

Read more here: In India, coronavirus fans religious hatred

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Human nature unfortunately, seems like we have to have someone to blame. There has been some attacks on Chinese people here in Australia. There's also been random stupid stuff like people coughing or spitting on cops and near where I live a car pulled over near an elserly couple and the passenger wound down his window and coughed on them. Makes you wonder...

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Human nature unfortunately, seems like we have to have someone to blame. There has been some attacks on Chinese people here in Australia. There's also been random stupid stuff like people coughing or spitting on cops and near where I live a car pulled over near an elserly couple and the passenger wound down his window and coughed on them. Makes you wonder...

Much the same here, and elsewhere I suspect, in that many are just not aware of their actions or just don't care about others at all.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Just a quick note, this article does come across to me just a little bit like an opinion piece, but it should generate some interesting discussion.

'After India’s health ministry repeatedly blamed an Islamic seminary for spreading the coronavirus — and governing party officials spoke of “human bombs” and “corona jihad” — a spree of anti-Muslim attacks has broken out across the country.

Young Muslim men who were passing out food to the poor were assaulted with cricket bats. Other Muslims have been beaten up, nearly lynched, run out of their neighbourhoods or attacked in mosques, branded as virus spreaders. In Punjab state, loudspeakers at Sikh temples broadcast messages telling people not to buy milk from Muslim dairy farmers because it was infected with coronavirus.

Hateful messages have bloomed online. And a wave of apparently fake videos has popped up telling Muslims not to wear masks, not to practice social distancing, not to worry about the virus at all, as if the makers of the videos wanted Muslims to get sick.

In a global pandemic, there is always the hunt for blame. President Donald Trump has done it, insisting for a time on calling the coronavirus a “Chinese virus.’’ All over the world people are pointing fingers, driven by their fears and anxieties to go after The Other.

In India, no other group has been demonised more than the country’s 200 million Muslims, minorities in a Hindu-dominated land of 1.3 billion people.

From the crackdown on Kashmir, a Muslim majority area, to a new citizenship law that blatantly discriminates against Muslims, this past year has been one low point after another for Indian Muslims living under an increasingly bold Hindu nationalist government led by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and propelled by majoritarian policies.

In this case, what’s making things worse is that there’s an element of truth behind the government’s claims. A single Muslim religious movement has been identified as being responsible for a large share of India’s 8,000-plus coronavirus cases. Indian officials estimated last week that more than a third of the country’s cases were connected to the group, Tablighi Jamaat, which held a huge gathering of preachers in India in March. Similar meetings in Malaysia and Pakistan also led to outbreaks.'

Is it because they're Muslim, or is it because they have congregated in mosques in direct opposition to government and health authorities advice?

The Christians who still congregated in America are persecuted?

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Karma is a bitsj sometimes. This is true, even for people who do not believe in the Law of Karma (newton's law ... action and reaction).

Sadly people don't learn the valuable lessons:
1) Stop believing "my religion is the highway"
2) Follow the guidelines of government, even if your religion says differently (when it can hurt others)
3) Do not belittle other people nor their religion (Muslims and Christians have been doing this too much)

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
3) Do not belittle other people nor their religion (Muslims and Christians have been doing this too much)

WOW. In a thread about attacks on Muslims ^this is your concluding bit of wisdom? Talk about hypocrisy.

For some context, see:
Stop providing cover for this islamophobic garbage.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
No hypocrisy, just common sense. (and you took my line out of context)

Blaming attacks on Muslims on karma and then shifting the focus to "Muslims and Christians" is not "common sense." It's common bigotry. That is not "out of context." It is the context.

Just stop it.

atanu

Premium Member

Many Muslims have protested against irresponsible religious gathering of the Tablighi Jamat that has fuelled the growth of corona in India. And please also note that author of the cited article is a Hindu.

While some us acknowledge that ‘Two nations’ theory propagated at grassroots level by the RSS, mother of the ruling BJP, has poisoned the society in India — It is BJP’s power, yet, it was Jinnah who started the ‘Two nations’ theory.

Why we do not also take into cognisance of killing of more than 50 Sikhs in Afganistan? Can such blame game ever stop?

Religion teaches against this foolishness. Blame game is game that politicians encourage people to play.

YMMV.

Last edited:

Cooky

Veteran Member

It wouldn't surprise me if some religious radicals, who view Jihad and the coronavirus as tools from God, would actually infect people with the coronavirus.

...So I'm not sure if the Indians are wrong. In any case, if these food-gifts are not sealed by reputable manufacturers, nobody should be accepting their food.

Cleanliness is in order.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Largely the former, with an assist from the latter.
I've been to India, and the only thing I know for sure is that it's complicated. The tension between Muslims and Hindus varies widely regionally for sure. Generally speaking it is far more serious the further north you go. I have friends and acquaintances from almost all the states (some people tend to just forget how large India is... it's more like Europe being one country. There might be Christian Muslim tension in the former Yugoslavia, but not so much way over in Portugal) So states like Bengal, on the border with Bangladesh, or states near Pakistan would, just by geography, feel it worse. That said, there are lots of Muslims in South India who didn't move during partition, and get along as well as they did 400, 500 years ago.

As another has said, even Muslims protested the gathering in mosques, and I'm sure Hindus would protest against other Hindus gathering, if it happened, and it probably has. I've read of many many Hindu festivals being cancelled due to coronavirus, and if any particular group doesn't follow social distancing, like at the beaches of Florida during spring break, the rest of the people who are obeying government orders have the right to protest.

Everywhere on this planet the press is selective. (biased) The press is a business. They write what sells, or to appease their advertisers, who are 90% of their income.

Many groups do know very well how to play the victim card for sure.

I don't actually know what's going on. It would vary from village to village, from city to city, from one local newspaper to the next. For any person whose read a couple of articles in some far off land away from the actual reality, I would suggest that they don't know much either. Join the crowd.

Milton Platt

Religions function in many ways just like tribalism.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
They imagine they are. They imagine they're always being persecuted, with such nonsense as a fictitious "war on Christmas," and the like.

Indeed they do. Some days I daydream of being able to demonstrate real persecution to them. In the villages and cities of India, you have to become immune to noise in order to sleep. If anybody ever put a noise bylaw in place just so folks could sleep, you'd hear the cries of "persecution!" right away, and the volume would be turned up, not down.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Indeed they do. Some days I daydream of being able to demonstrate real persecution to them. In the villages and cities of India, you have to become immune to noise in order to sleep. If anybody ever put a noise bylaw in place just so folks could sleep, you'd hear the cries of "persecution!" right away, and the volume would be turned up, not down.
Playing the victim card gets you attention. It feels so good, they manufacture reasons to advertise themselves as victims.

cuethepitchartangz4.gif

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
In India one has to remember that all the major Hindu pilgrimage sites are shut down. Tirupati averages between 70 000 to 100 000 devotees PER DAY. Palani, Rameswaram, Tiruchendur, Varanasi, Pune, and all the temple towns are totally closed. The pilgrim trains have stopped. For people who see such a religious pilgrimage as a once in a lifetime event, it means a ton. To sacrifice such an event for the benefit of others is no small deal.

So when people feel it is their right to congregate ... yeah, I might protest too.

Editted to add ... and Saudi really stepped up to the plate ... early ... Mecca is empty.

Cancelling the Hajj? How conflict, disease often stopped pilgrimage to Mecca long before the coronavirus

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
these food-gifts are not sealed by reputable manufacturers,

That is a very elitist attitude that would stop a ton of food distribution programs in the USA let alone India where the standards and abilities are a lot lower than we have here. It would have stopped soup kitchens during the Great Depression as well.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
This is a time when prejudice of all sorts is coming to the surface. We have Muslims being attacked in India and other nations. We have China discriminating against Africans. Mexicans and other are the butt of attacks in the USA. And so it goes.

Cooky

Veteran Member
That is a very elitist attitude that would stop a ton of food distribution programs in the USA let alone India where the standards and abilities are a lot lower than we have here. It would have stopped soup kitchens during the Great Depression as well.

Those substandards are unacceptable. Look, we have the coronavirus because of filthy conditions mixing bats with other animals used as food. We have pollution, dirty air and filthy oceans because people are being unclean, and don't care.

...Now is the time for cleanliness. If there's anything we can learn from COVID-19, is that there needs to be a global transition towards cleanliness.

Cooky

Veteran Member
This is a time when prejudice of all sorts is coming to the surface. We have Muslims being attacked in India and other nations. We have China discriminating against Africans. Mexicans and other are the butt of attacks in the USA. And so it goes.

Anyone who is not being clean deserves shame. That's the only standard for discrimination we should allow... And not only allow... But promote!

...One's right to be a slob ends with it effecting mine and other people's health.

Last edited by a moderator: