• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In Home Mandir

TravisJC

After several months I'll finally decided to try and upgrade my little puja area! Right now I have a picture of Lord Shiva and Mother Parvati, plus a small Shiva and Ganesha murti kept within makeshift Ikea draws. I don't plan on going too too lavish but I want to invest money in a nice built puja mandir for home. I've been putting money aside to afford one but the only problem is that I live within the U.S. where it's rather difficult to find people either selling or making them within the country.

So, I come to my fellow Hindu DIR's to ask if there are any reputable places either nationally, or internationally, I could find a somewhat 'put together' mandir. Another issue is that I'm having a hard time finding puja supplies online and if anyone could refer me to that would be amazing! Not looking to get one soon but would love to find a store/retailer to start coming up with some prices and/or shipping arrangements.

Thank you to those who haven taken the time to read my questions! Have a great day. :):)
Travis.

Nyingjé Tso

Tänpa Yungdrung zhab pä tän gyur jig
Vanakkam,

Online:
For puja supplies, you can check rudraksha ratna website, they have insane choice and never had a worry ordering from them ( ordered from France and India)

For home mandir, I see some making them and shipping them from the us so you should be able to find. Seems expensive tho ... Maybe check eBay too ?
Dunno if Indian based websites like Flipkart ship in the us...

Islington and me are looking for one too, but it's not easy to find in Europe too regarding shipping

Aum Namah Shivaya

TravisJC

Vanakkam,

Online:
For puja supplies, you can check rudraksha ratna website, they have insane choice and never had a worry ordering from them ( ordered from France and India)

For home mandir, I see some making them and shipping them from the us so you should be able to find. Seems expensive tho ... Maybe check eBay too ?
Dunno if Indian based websites like Flipkart ship in the us...

Islington and me are looking for one too, but it's not easy to find in Europe too regarding shipping

Aum Namah Shivaya

I have seen Rudraksha Ratna, looks like a good place to order from!

I guess I just need to look around online more for retailers in the U.S., as far as Flipkart I have checked a couple of Indian based e-markets and dead end at the fact that they don't ship internationally to the U.S. - sadly.

Please understand I am not endoursing this companying but rather would like to see if anyone has heard of it. I found a place called Wooden-Temples.com, going to contact them and see if I can find a reasonable price on one!

DeviChaaya

Jai Ambe Gauri
Premium Member
Have any of you thought of hiring a carpenter to make one for you? While it might be a little pricey any of the ones shipped from India are also going to be pricey simply due to how much it costs to ship.

If you go the carpenter route you can specify what you want. For instance for myself I would ask for something that is not low to the ground simply because I have three cats and I'm a horrible housekeeper (Lakshmi rarely visits my home). You could even specify if you want doors on the shrine (good for when offering them prasad to bless as they can be shy! They're not in Bali after all!), maybe you want electrical wiring so you can have down lights? Drawers for accoutrements etc.

Last edited:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Have any of you thought of hiring a carpenter to make one for you? While it might be a little pricey any of the ones shipped from India are also going to be pricey simply due to how much it costs to ship.

If you go the carpenter route you can specify what you want. For instance for myself I would ask for something that is not low to the ground simply because I have three cats and I'm a horrible housekeeper (Lakshmi rarely visits my home). You could even specify if you want doors on the shrine (good for when ordering them prasad to bless as they can be shy! They're not in Bali after all!), maybe you want electrical wiring so you can have down lights? Drawers for accoutrements etc.

If Travis was in my city, I'd build him one to specs. Ours is tiled, but I have a lathe, and can do posts, etc. Shipping is the problem, yes.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We did not have a mandir for years. But deities were satisfied with out devotion and got us one. Make list of things that one may require fro puja. Let us see how many things are necessary and difficult to get. Puja (Hinduism) - Wikipedia

Avahana (“invocation”). The deity is invited to the ceremony from the heart. (Ramam Avahaniyami - You an change the name of the deity)
Asana. The deity is offered a seat. (Asanam Samarpayami - spread some grass or a cloth)
Padya. The deity’s feet are symbolically washed. (Padyam Samarpayami)
Water is offered for washing the head and body
Achamaniyam. Water is offered so the deity may wash its mouth. (Achamaniyam Samarpayami)
Snana or abhisekha. Water is offered for symbolic bathing. (Snanam Samarpayami - more water, Abhishekam)
Vastra (“clothing”). Here a cloth may be wrapped around the image and ornaments affixed to it. (CVastram samarpayami - a cloth piece or a thread around the neck)
Upaveeta or Mangalsutra. Putting on the sacred thread. (Upaveetam samarpayami - Thread on the left shoulder)
Anulepana or gandha. Perfumes and ointments are applied to the image. Sandalwood paste or kumkum is applied. (Anulepam samaqrpayami- a drop of perfume)
Tilaka. (Tilakam samarpayami - Red power, Sandal paste, ash from the incense, Gopi Chandan - a sort of soil)
Pushpa. Flowers are offered before the image, or garlands draped around its neck. (Pushpam samarpayami/Patram samarpayami - a flower or a leaf)
Rice. (Akshatam samarpayami - over the head)
Dhupa. Incense is burned before the image. (Dhoopam samarpayami - incense if possible)
Dipa or Aarti. A burning lamp is waved in front of the image. (Deepam samarpayami - light a lamp or a candle)
Naivedya. Foods such as cooked rice, fruit, clarified butter, sugar, and betel leaf are offered. (Naivedyam samarpayami - offer something to eat, it comes back to you as prasada, deity's blessing)
Chatram. Offering of umbrella. (Chatram samarpayami - cover the deity with a toy umbrella)
Chamaram Offering of fan or fly-whisk (Chamaram samarpayami - if no fly-whisk fan the deity with a paper fan).
Dhyana: Think about the attributes of the deity.
Namaskara or pranama. The worshipper and family bow or prostrate themselves before the image to offer homage.
Parikrama or Pradakshina. Circumambulation around the deity (won't be possible in home)
Taking leave.

Remember, this is an elaborate puja. Is there anything that is difficult to get? What I mean is that other than devotion, you don't need much. No need to get tied into knots. Members are welcome to correct me where I may have gone wrong. Oh, you need a small bell to announce the coming of the deity (Conch shell in India).

Last edited:

Fireside_Hindu

Jai Lakshmi Maa
Back when I first started practicing I had the components for a small home mandir made for $25 through someone on Etsy and then assembled and embellished it myself. I do think you could modify something affordably to get the desired effect. For example:

shopping

You could then paint, glue or nail a small curtain on the front and there you have it!

Looks like there are some home mandirs available through Amazon as well:

Amazon.com: home mandir