• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In heaven......

We Never Know

No Slack
I've heard/seen it said we will recognize others in heaven, how will that happen?

If the body is just a vessel for the spirit, and we know everyone primarily by their body/look, how would you recognize the spirit?

Or

If we supposedly will look the same, will that same be as the day we died, or will we look in our 30's, in our teens.(many people I know now, I don't know what they looked like when they were younger).
If we look the same as when we died does that mean a baby that dies at birth will still be a newborn? How would anyone recognize them 50 years later?

I don't know much about it so Im asking. My above scenarios are just thrown out thoughts.

Last edited:

Lain

I've heard/seen it said we will recognize others in heaven, how will that happen?

If the body is just a vessel for the spirit, and we know everyone primarily by their body/look, how would you recognize the spirit?

Or

If we supposedly will look the same, will that same be as they day we died, or will we look in our 30's, in our teens.(many people I know now, I don't know what they looked like when they were younger).
If we look the same as when we died does that mean a baby that dies at birth will still be a newborn? How would anyone recognize them 50 years later?

I don't know much about it so Im asking. My above scenarios are just thrown out thoughts.

To my knowledge, pre-Resurrection: being filled with the light of Truth we will simply know this and who is there, just as we will know who is on Earth, what's happening, and be able to pray for others.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member

I believe we will recognize people by their spirit/soul which is essentially the same thing as their personality. We will not recognize people by their physical appearance because I don't believe there is anything physical in heaven, and that means our bodies will not be physical. The spirit/soul that was associated with our physical body in this life will be associated with a spiritual body in the spiritual world (heaven).

“The answer to the third question is this, that in the other world the human reality doth not assume a physical form, rather doth it take on a heavenly form, made up of elements of that heavenly realm.” Selections From the Writings of ‘Abdu’l-Bahá, p. 194

Nimos

Or

If we supposedly will look the same, will that same be as the day we died, or will we look in our 30's, in our teens.(many people I know now, I don't know what they looked like when they were younger).

Depends on what you believe or how you understand the scriptures I guess. Personally I think there are two options.

1. It doesn't matter.
2. Something with the scriptures is out of order.

Revelation 21:4
4 - He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

Assuming that Revelation is true and we go with (1), it wouldn't matter, because in order for there to be no mourning or crying of lost ones, bad experiences etc, the only solution seem to be a complete memory wipe or there will be some serious gaps in peoples memories, which wouldn't really make sense. This obviously also raises the question of why we are even here to begin with if we are not going to remember anything anyway. Makes this old "Earth thing" kind of pointless and a waste of time.

Alternatively Revelation is not correct, which means that we have no clue what is going on.

Personally I don't think any of them makes any sense, so yet another reason for why im skeptical about this whole thing I guess :D

Jeremiah Ames

Or

There are babies and youngsters in heaven who grow to adulthood.

All adult spirits are an age equivalent to young adulthood.
I am old, only in the body. My mind/spirit has not aged for many decades.

We will recognize the spirit, since the bodies will have thankfully rotted in their graves.

It is quite possible that I will not see many of my relatives, nor people I knew here on earth. But I will be surrounded by spirits of like minds. Millions, billions, trillions of them.

I used the word “spirit” throughout here, since that responds best to your question.

imo

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Depends on what you believe or how you understand the scriptures I guess. Personally I think there are two options.

1. It doesn't matter.
2. Something with the scriptures is out of order.

Revelation 21:4
4 - He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

Assuming that Revelation is true and we go with (1), it wouldn't matter, because in order for there to be no mourning or crying of lost ones, bad experiences etc, the only solution seem to be a complete memory wipe or there will be some serious gaps in peoples memories, which wouldn't really make sense. This obviously also raises the question of why we are even here to begin with if we are not going to remember anything anyway. Makes this old "Earth thing" kind of pointless and a waste of time.

Alternatively Revelation is not correct, which means that we have no clue what is going on.

Personally I don't think any of them makes any sense, so yet another reason for why im skeptical about this whole thing I guess :D
I do not believe that Revelation 21:4 refers to what will happen in heaven, I believe it refers to what will happen on earth after Christ returns, and since I believe that has already happened I think this will happen during this age. I do not interpret that verse literally so I don't think it means there will not be any more physical death, I think it refers to spiritual death.

One need to read that verse in context in order to understand what it means.

Revelation 21 King James Version

21 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.

2 And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

3 And I heard a great voice out of heaven saying, Behold, the tabernacle of God is with men, and he will dwell with them, and they shall be his people, and God himself shall be with them, and be their God.

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

I believe that the new Jerusalem is the Revelation of Baha'u'llah and the Law of God is the new teachings and laws that He revealed.

“The time foreordained unto the peoples and kindreds of the earth is now come. The promises of God, as recorded in the holy Scriptures, have all been fulfilled. Out of Zion hath gone forth the Law of God, and Jerusalem, and the hills and land thereof, are filled with the glory of His Revelation. Happy is the man that pondereth in his heart that which hath been revealed in the Books of God, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting. Meditate upon this, O ye beloved of God, and let your ears be attentive unto His Word, so that ye may, by His grace and mercy, drink your fill from the crystal waters of constancy, and become as steadfast and immovable as the mountain in His Cause.

In the Book of Isaiah it is written: “Enter into the rock, and hide thee in the dust, for fear of the Lord, and for the glory of His majesty.” No man that meditateth upon this verse can fail to recognize the greatness of this Cause, or doubt the exalted character of this Day—the Day of God Himself.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 12-13

Suave

Simulated character

Or

According to Christian Matrixism, there are steps and a way to eternal life 1, Brain-computer interfaces 2. Replacement of neurons with synthetic circuitry 3. Built simulated worlds 4. Permanent residency in the Matrix.

Nimos

I do not believe that Revelation 21:4 refers to what will happen in heaven, I believe it refers to what will happen on earth after Christ returns, and since I believe that has already happened I think this will happen during this age. I do not interpret that verse literally so I don't think it means there will not be any more physical death, I think it refers to spiritual death.
Im not really sure how you reach that conclusion. Isn't the spirit (whatever that is) connected to us? Yet we still feel suffering and pain, which we shouldn't. And if we have no way of feeling the same emotions in spirit as with the physical body, it would be pretty much impossible to argue for the spirit even existing or being relevant to begin with as there doesn't seem to be any connection between them at all. Also kind of pointless of mentioning this in the bible, when we are so disconnected from it as we appear to be.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Im not really sure how you reach that conclusion. Isn't the spirit (whatever that is) connected to us? Yet we still feel suffering and pain, which we shouldn't. And if we have no way of feeling the same emotions in spirit as with the physical body, it would be pretty much impossible to argue for the spirit even existing or being relevant to begin with as there doesn't seem to be any connection between them at all. Also kind of pointless of mentioning this in the bible, when we are so disconnected from it as we appear to be.
Humans suffer with physical pain because we have a physical body and we suffer with psychic pain (mental and emotional anguish) because we have a soul. When we die and no longer have a physical body we will have no more physical pain but we might still suffer from psychic pain because we will still have a soul. Before I say anything more, does that make sense to you?

Nimos

Humans suffer with physical pain because we have a physical body and we suffer with psychic pain (mental and emotional anguish) because we have a soul. When we die and no longer have a physical body we will have no more physical pain but we might still suffer from psychic pain because we will still have a soul. Before I say anything more, does that make sense to you?
I understand what you are saying, I would however argue that psychic pain is closely related to the physical body, I don't see how one could experience it without it?

But assuming that you are correct and we go with what you say. And we follow up from you saying that you believe that Revelation already occurred, why would you feel any psychic pain when you shouldn't? Also I don't really see how one would cry as a spirit as that is a physical responds by the body.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I understand what you are saying, I would however argue that psychic pain is closely related to the physical body, I don't see how one could experience it without it?
Psychic pain is associated with the brain and mind which are associated with the physical body while we are alive on earth in a physical body, but after we die our consciousness continues through the soul so we can still experience torment of the soul even though it is not coming from the brain anymore.
But assuming that you are correct and we go with what you say. And we follow up from you saying that you believe that Revelation already occurred, why would you feel any psychic pain when you shouldn't? Also I don't really see how one would cry as a spirit as that is a physical responds by the body.
Let's look at that verse again...

Revelation 21:4 King James Version

4 And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.

I do not feel any psychic pain as the result of Rev 21:4 not having been fulfilled, but I might feel psychic pain for other reasons. As I said before "neither sorrow, nor crying" is not literal it is figurative, so it means we will no longer be sad but rather we will be happy because Christ has returned in the Person of Bahaulah and he revealed what humanity needs to be happy. :)

Btw, I just looked up your time zone so I know it is 1:50 am where you live... It is only 5:50 pm here where live. :D
I guess you are a night owl like me. I rarely get to bed on my days off any earlier than 3 am.

Nimos

Psychic pain is associated with the brain and mind which are associated with the physical body while we are alive on earth in a physical body, but after we die our consciousness continues through the soul so we can still experience torment of the soul even though it is not coming from the brain anymore.

Let's look at that verse again...

Revelation 21:4 King James Version

I do not feel any psychic pain as the result of Rev 21:4 not having been fulfilled, but I might feel psychic pain for other reasons. As I said before "neither sorrow, nor crying" is not literal it is figurative, so it means we will no longer be sad but rather we will be happy because Christ has returned in the Person of Bahaulah and he revealed what humanity needs to be happy. :)

Btw, I just looked up your time zone so I know it is 1:50 am where you live... It is only 5:50 pm here where live. :D
I guess you are a night owl like me. I rarely get to bed on my days off any earlier than 3 am.
But that is not what the verse say? It doesn't say that we need to do anything, rather it say that it will happen.

Yes, I like the night, its quiet and one doesn't get disturbed etc. :D

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But that is not what the verse say? It doesn't say that we need to do anything, rather it say that it will happen.
Yes, that is what it says. We do not have to do anything. God already did something, He sent Baha'u'llah, and now it will unfold as promised in the Bible.

“The time foreordained unto the peoples and kindreds of the earth is now come. The promises of God, as recorded in the holy Scriptures, have all been fulfilled. Out of Zion hath gone forth the Law of God, and Jerusalem, and the hills and land thereof, are filled with the glory of His Revelation. Happy is the man that pondereth in his heart that which hath been revealed in the Books of God, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.”

Nimos

Yes, that is what it says. We do not have to do anything. God already did something, He sent Baha'u'llah, and now it will unfold as promised in the Bible.

“The time foreordained unto the peoples and kindreds of the earth is now come. The promises of God, as recorded in the holy Scriptures, have all been fulfilled. Out of Zion hath gone forth the Law of God, and Jerusalem, and the hills and land thereof, are filled with the glory of His Revelation. Happy is the man that pondereth in his heart that which hath been revealed in the Books of God, the Help in Peril, the Self-Subsisting.”
So now it unfolds? Baha'u'llah died in 1892, that is 129 years, that is one slow revelation going on here :) And it doesn't seem to have done all those that died in the meantime any good, just think about the amount that died during WW2 alone and suffered from that, both during and afterwards. You must be one patience person to be able to see that as coming to passed as we speak. :)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So now it unfolds? Baha'u'llah died in 1892, that is 129 years, that is one slow revelation going on here :) And it doesn't seem to have done all those that died in the meantime any good, just think about the amount that died during WW2 alone and suffered from that, both during and afterwards. You must be one patience person to be able to see that as coming to passed as we speak. :)
The Dispensation of Baha'u'llah will last no less than 1000 years (from 1852 AD) so there is plenty of time. WWII could have been avoided if the kings and rulers has listened to Baha'u'llah and we would have been closer to seeing the Most Great Peace, but they rejected Baha'u'llah even after they were warned so we have had to settle for the Lesser Peace. Addressing the kings and rulers of His day, He wrote:

"Now that ye have refused the Most Great Peace, hold ye fast unto this, the Lesser Peace, that haply ye may in some degree better your own condition and that of your dependents.

O rulers of the earth! Be reconciled among yourselves, that ye may need no more armaments save in a measure to safeguard your territories and dominions. Beware lest ye disregard the counsel of the All-Knowing, the Faithful.

Be united, O kings of the earth, for thereby will the tempest of discord be stilled amongst you, and your peoples find rest, if ye be of them that comprehend. Should any one among you take up arms against another, rise ye all against him, for this is naught but manifest justice." Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 253-254

Last edited:

RabbiO

הרב יונה בן זכריה
Name tags.

If one believes in gilgul - multiple name tags.

I assume we’ll be told how and to what to attach them.

rational experiences

Veteran Member

Or

In healing and spirit assessment. I had friends tell me their baby died. Came back by aged defined status and adult. In imaged records water recorded.

They knew them as the baby.

Father taught me.

The eternal God as eternal is no human. Sent out the human adult first. The substance sperm ovary is owned by father and mother.

Both identified with the eternal first.

So as the eternal holds our life body like theirs to form as we live when we die the baby virtually changes its spiritual image over a time span.

A medium Doris stokes was where I read about it first. Then other humans told me their stories. So it made sense why the baby image changed.

As the eternal presence proved it is real.

Nimos

The Dispensation of Baha'u'llah will last no less than 1000 years (from 1852 AD) so there is plenty of time. WWII could have been avoided if the kings and rulers has listened to Baha'u'llah and we would have been closer to seeing the Most Great Peace, but they rejected Baha'u'llah even after they were warned so we have had to settle for the Lesser Peace. Addressing the kings and rulers of His day, He wrote:

"Now that ye have refused the Most Great Peace, hold ye fast unto this, the Lesser Peace, that haply ye may in some degree better your own condition and that of your dependents.

O rulers of the earth! Be reconciled among yourselves, that ye may need no more armaments save in a measure to safeguard your territories and dominions. Beware lest ye disregard the counsel of the All-Knowing, the Faithful.

Be united, O kings of the earth, for thereby will the tempest of discord be stilled amongst you, and your peoples find rest, if ye be of them that comprehend. Should any one among you take up arms against another, rise ye all against him, for this is naught but manifest justice." Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, pp. 253-254
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, can't remember if we have talked about it before or not :)

But what is the different from me or when the pope goes on stage and call for peace. If leaders all over the world would just listen to us, then there would be peace as well? or if countries would just listen to Greta Thunberg then we could solve the climate issue. My point is not that any of these people are wrong or anything and it is good that they raise awareness etc. But rather other people's ability of looking to these individuals as if they are the solution to the problem if others would just do as they say. Don't get me wrong, I can understand why many look to Greta Thunberg and think she is amazing and can find inspiration in what she is saying. But I also think that those people that assume that these people are the solution are slightly ignorant as well.

Like when I read what you have written that Baha'u'llah called for, I have no problem with it, but it is not a solution. Its no different from me calling to all nations telling them to get along and if they don't there will be conflicts at some point. Im pretty sure im right in regards to that assessment, but then again, I believe that pretty much anyone could reached a similar conclusion whether or not they are divined inspired or not, because its common sense. And besides that, it doesn't offer any solution, except that they should just get along somehow. And similar to what you are saying that WW2 could have been avoided had they listen to him, similarly I say that all future conflicts can be avoided if they just listen to me as well.

Sheldon

Veteran Member
Humans suffer with physical pain because we have a physical body and we suffer with psychic pain (mental and emotional anguish) because we have a soul.

That a claim, you will need to demsonrate sufficient objective evidence to support it. The field of psychiatry would be very interested in this paradigm shift in their understanding of the human mind.

When we die and no longer have a physical body we will have no more physical pain but we might still suffer from psychic pain because we will still have a soul.

Another claim, and again no evidence.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, can't remember if we have talked about it before or not :)

But what is the different from me or when the pope goes on stage and call for peace. If leaders all over the world would just listen to us, then there would be peace as well? or if countries would just listen to Greta Thunberg then we could solve the climate issue. My point is not that any of these people are wrong or anything and it is good that they raise awareness etc. But rather other people's ability of looking to these individuals as if they are the solution to the problem if others would just do as they say. Don't get me wrong, I can understand why many look to Greta Thunberg and think she is amazing and can find inspiration in what she is saying. But I also think that those people that assume that these people are the solution are slightly ignorant as well.

Like when I read what you have written that Baha'u'llah called for, I have no problem with it, but it is not a solution. Its no different from me calling to all nations telling them to get along and if they don't there will be conflicts at some point. Im pretty sure im right in regards to that assessment, but then again, I believe that pretty much anyone could reached a similar conclusion whether or not they are divined inspired or not, because its common sense. And besides that, it doesn't offer any solution, except that they should just get along somehow. And similar to what you are saying that WW2 could have been avoided had they listen to him, similarly I say that all future conflicts can be avoided if they just listen to me as well.
What I said: "WWII could have been avoided if the kings and rulers has listened to Baha'u'llah and we would have been closer to seeing the Most Great Peace, but they rejected Baha'u'llah even after they were warned so we have had to settle for the Lesser Peace" is a faith-based belief, so it cannot be proven.

I agree that pretty much anyone could reached a similar conclusion that peace is called for whether or not they are divinely inspired or not, because its common sense. The difference is that Baha'u'llah offered a solution, He did not just tell people that "they should just get along somehow." As Baha'is we believe that the solution He offered came from God, so it is inerrant.