• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In God We Trust?

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
steve at JRM said:
If people in the bible throughout time had not listened to God, where would we be? I think we all need to listen a little closer, because our world is out of control. This is the message I'm getting. God is not very happy with the way we are treating each other. Is this the respect He deserves. Praise God, and thank him for your blessings. Before it's too late. Amen
How do you know God is not very happy with the way we are treating each other ?

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
fromthe heart said:
Am I missing something? dumb blonde asking what I stated wrong?:sarcastic
Someone may have answered this already, and if so I apologize. I just really don't think you're dumb, and wanted to explain.

I think that Mike was noting that, while many believe that the passage states "Money is the root of all evil", I believe it actually states "For the love of money is the root of all evil.)

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
FeathersinHair said:
As I'm sure will be stated by others, Fox News is not the most unbiased of networks.

Are you saying that all theists should be promoting having "In God We Trust" on currency? As a polytheist, I'm interested if a different god would go on each denomination. Or maybe rotating is the answer? The Abrahamic God on dollar bills one month, Kwan Yin the next...
There were a host of websites. As I said this poll was "one example". I hesitate to be blunt, and I apologize in advance, but all "theists" should be monotheists and support "In God We Trust".

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
retrorich said:
Wrong. "We" implies ALL Americans. Am I not every bit as much an American as you are--even though I do not believe in , or trust in, God, and am, therefore, in the minority?
I know your American. Belief in God doesn't dictate nationality. This is a democracy, and most people believe in God. Plus, like I said before, "In God We Trust" doesn't make you practice Christianity, therefore it is constitutional.

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
mormonman said:
There were a host of websites. As I said this poll was "one example". I hesitate to be blunt, and I apologize in advance, but all "theists" should be monotheists and support "In God We Trust".
Would you support "In Goddess We Trust"?

If not, I would be happy to have a one- on-one debate with you about the issue. If you do not answer, I will assume that you chose to put "theists" in quotation marks because they're your favorite form of punctuation (They're mine, second only to parenthesis!) and are also aware that the above 'should' is being said under the understood context of "I and/ or my belief system tells me thusly." While I appreciate your understanding of how your statement might be taken, I believe that this is a seperate issue, and, again, would be very happy to debate it with you and others.

gnomon

mormonman said:
I know your American. Belief in God doesn't dictate nationality. This is a democracy, and most people believe in God. Plus, like I said before, "In God We Trust" doesn't make you practice Christianity, therefore it is constitutional.
The United States is not a democracy. It is a republic. There is a difference. It's not just semantics.

Arguments to majority belief and democracy completely overlook the actual formation of the Republic that is the United States.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
fromthe heart said:
Am I missing something? dumb blonde asking what I stated wrong?:sarcastic
sorry, i forgot to check back

i thought the phrase was "the love of money is the root of all evil" - which is often shortend to "money is the root of all evil" which carries a different message

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
mormonman said:
I hesitate to be blunt, and I apologize in advance, but all "theists" should be monotheists and support "In God We Trust".
Who died and made you God? :biglaugh:

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
mormonman said:
Right Sir!!! Stands to attention.:D

Ever heard of freedom of choice ?Knockout

OK, so we (mankind) has invented ways to blow up each other and destroy each other. Now what. Should we just go ahead a blow each other up. Or could we focus that energy to enhance our lives. You don't have to believe in God to realize where our world is headed. So put down the insults, and let's work together to come up with a solution we can all live by. I have nothing against Islamist beliefs, but they sure do hate me. What is the driving force behind that? Our government? When I was in Desert Storm, I made some good friends with the Saudi Arabian military. We didn't care about each others religion, because we were treating each other with respect.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
steve at JRM said:
OK, so we (mankind) has invented ways to blow up each other and destroy each other. Now what. Should we just go ahead a blow each other up. Or could we focus that energy to enhance our lives. You don't have to believe in God to realize where our world is headed. So put down the insults, and let's work together to come up with a solution we can all live by. I have nothing against Islamist beliefs, but they sure do hate me. What is the driving force behind that? Our government? When I was in Desert Storm, I made some good friends with the Saudi Arabian military. We didn't care about each others religion, because we were treating each other with respect.
What does any of that have to do with having "In God We Trust" on our money?

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
steve at JRM said:
Amen. I'm going to ask Mark Twain what he meant by the quote you have, too.
I think he meant man is the only animal that has anything to be ashamed of. Because man knowlingly does things that are wrong. I would love to meet Mark Twain. I think he was the greatest of all American writers and humorists. But first I would like to meet Beethoven! :)

I agree with you! The bible says, "For God doth know, that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened; and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil." Genesis 3:5. So we something to agree on. Yippee!

Mike182

Flaming Queer
steve at JRM said:
Ask Abraham Lincoln. It was his idea.
oh no, that is not a reason to keep it, that is simply an explanation as to why it was originally put there

"We've always done it" is not a valid reason on its own to keep on doing it

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
FeathersinHair said:
Would you support "In Goddess We Trust"?

If not, I would be happy to have a one- on-one debate with you about the issue. If you do not answer, I will assume that you chose to put "theists" in quotation marks because they're your favorite form of punctuation (They're mine, second only to parenthesis!) and are also aware that the above 'should' is being said under the understood context of "I and/ or my belief system tells me thusly." While I appreciate your understanding of how your statement might be taken, I believe that this is a seperate issue, and, again, would be very happy to debate it with you and others.
I can go into a one-on-one debate.Knockout lol