• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In God We Trust?

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
Franklin said:
Would the world be any different if our money did not have a reference to god? Would the country magically crumble if it was removeed? The entire notion is purely based on an appeal to tradition argument that does not stand up.
It's just another step to take God out of everything. It says in the scriptures that once a nation forgets God, His wrath will come upon them. Our great country can and will crumble if we forget our God.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
mormonman said:
It's just another step to take God out of everything. It says in the scriptures that once a nation forgets God, His wrath will come upon them. Our great country can and will crumble if we forget our God.
all great cities and civilisations will gow and prosper, and eventually fall and decay

america will be no different, no matter how many of you follow the chrisitan God

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
retrorich said:
As I said, That is the essential (and irrefutable) argument against having "In God We Trust." on U.S. Money. I could not possibly make it any clearer. If you do not understand it, it is because you refuse to understand it. That is why I inlcuded the :banghead3 in my post.
"We" implies the majority of Americans. I googled it and found different polls that ranged from about 80-95% belief in god. One example of these polls is http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,99945,00.html. You know where this is going? In a few years we won't be able to worship God in public. Pat your self on the back, because it's going to be the 5-20% of Americans, like you, that are going to do this. I refuse to be controlled by a 5% minority. :149:

gnomon

mormonman said:
This statement is so insulting and full of hubris that I would probably be banned for responding in an honest manner.

So instead,
:bonk:

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
mormonman said:
"We" implies the majority of Americans. I googled it and found different polls that ranged from about 80-95% belief in god. One example of these polls is http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,99945,00.html. You know where this is going? In a few years we won't be able to worship God in public. Pat your self on the back, because it's going to be the 5-20% of Americans, like you, that are going to do this. I refuse to be controlled by a 5% minority. :149:
As I'm sure will be stated by others, Fox News is not the most unbiased of networks.

Are you saying that all theists should be promoting having "In God We Trust" on currency? As a polytheist, I'm interested if a different god would go on each denomination. Or maybe rotating is the answer? The Abrahamic God on dollar bills one month, Kwan Yin the next...

gnomon

FeathersinHair said:
As I'm sure will be stated by others, Fox News is not the most unbiased of networks.

Are you saying that all theists should be promoting having "In God We Trust" on currency? As a polytheist, I'm interested if a different god would go on each denomination. Or maybe rotating is the answer? The Abrahamic God on dollar bills one month, Kwan Yin the next...
I think it should go like this. If they can fit the name of every deity on the penny then fine. If not, then we shall not put any names on there.

fromthe heart

If the words 'In God We Trust' offends just don't spend the money...as for it being ON the money...perhaps you should go back to how it came to be to see why it was placed there in the first place...our country was founded on the belief in God...it became a part of all this country once stood for...it's more of a heritage than a way to stick it to those who don't believe in God...I personally see it as historical and NOT biblical because God wouldn't really decide to have his name placed on something that causes one to sin in the first place. Money is the root of all evil...perhpas our fore fathers who put that into play just wanted us to remember that all we have belongs to God.

Evenstar said the money is her husbands, that he works hard for it...I would like to see it as being given the ability by God to have the opportunity to work, or thankful to God that a job exsists that I can do. My husband works his rear off to earn what we have as well and I thank God everyday that HE has provided for us in my husbands abilities. You can see it however but I rather like to see God as the provider in our lives. I'm also sure that if my husband could no longer work God would provide for us somehow. That's why "IN GOD I TRUST":)

gnomon

fromthe heart said:
If the words 'In God We Trust' offends just don't spend the money...as for it being ON the money...perhaps you should go back to how it came to be to see why it was placed there in the first place...our country was founded on the belief in God...it became a part of all this country once stood for...it's more of a heritage than a way to stick it to those who don't believe in God...I personally see it as historical and NOT biblical because God wouldn't really decide to have his name placed on something that causes one to sin in the first place. Money is the root of all evil...perhpas our fore fathers who put that into play just wanted us to remember that all we have belongs to God.

Evenstar said the money is her husbands, that he works hard for it...I would like to see it as being given the ability by God to have the opportunity to work, or thankful to God that a job exsists that I can do. My husband works his rear off to earn what we have as well and I thank God everyday that HE has provided for us in my husbands abilities. You can see it however but I rather like to see God as the provider in our lives. I'm also sure that if my husband could no longer work God would provide for us somehow. That's why "IN GOD I TRUST":)
Trust me. I'm not offended by money. Nor whatever idiotic symbolism we place on it.

This nation was not founded on Godliness. Perhaps the most underlying cause for the American Revolution, which is the founding of this country (nothing to do with Puritans), is economic freedom.

So, the phrase "In God We Trust" is not historical. The founders of this nation fought so that what they earned belonged to them and not the Mother England and most definitely not God.

fromthe heart

gnomon said:
Trust me. I'm not offended by money. Nor whatever idiotic symbolism we place on it.

This nation was not founded on Godliness. Perhaps the most underlying cause for the American Revolution, which is the founding of this country (nothing to do with Puritans), is economic freedom.

So, the phrase "In God We Trust" is not historical. The founders of this nation fought so that what they earned belonged to them and not the Mother England and most definitely not God.
Never said this nation was founded on Godliness...but with 'respect' to God...I know if I would have been designing money (thankful not to be) I certianlly would not have placed God's name on it...but back in the history of our nation there WAS a reason...I just wondered if anyone had gone back to see WHY it was there in the first place.

As for my comment about money and things being God's that was a personal statement you need not agree...I just see things differently.

wmam

"In God We Trust"

Ummmmmmmm.....................

Which god?
Whose god?
What is god?
Where is god?
How is god?
I am god!

As I am sure this "god" means something to some, to me is nothing more than a pagan title instilled on ones belief of some deity of there choosing.

I for one would be happy to see "In Elohim We Trust" but the only problem with that is that it would be a big, bad flat out lie. We as a nation trust in nothing but death and taxes.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
fromthe heart said:
...perhpas our fore fathers who put that into play just wanted us to remember that all we have belongs to God. ... I'm also sure that if my husband could no longer work God would provide for us somehow. That's why "IN GOD I TRUST":)
Good luck with that! In the meantime, I suggest you save some money--even if it does belong to God. ;)

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
mormonman said:
"We" implies the majority of Americans.
Wrong. "We" implies ALL Americans. Am I not every bit as much an American as you are--even though I do not believe in , or trust in, God, and am, therefore, in the minority?

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
mormonman said:
I am trembling with fear! :biglaugh:

MdmSzdWhtGuy

steve at JRM said:
If people in the bible throughout time had not listened to God, where would we be? I think we all need to listen a little closer, because our world is out of control. This is the message I'm getting. God is not very happy with the way we are treating each other. Is this the respect He deserves. Praise God, and thank him for your blessings. Before it's too late. Amen
Ahh where to start with this dribble? If people in the Bible had not listened to God where would we be? I suspect far better off than we are today. With no Abrahamic God then we don't have Christians, Muslims or Jews, 3 groups which have been on one side or another of most of the ugliest bloodiest conflicts in human history.

And how do you come to the conclusion that there is a God at all? Much less that this God is happy or unhappy? Let me guess, you feel it in your heart? Very compelling evidence indeed. I feel that you may be off your rocker. Is that equal evidence? If so, then I guess we cancel one another out, and are left standing on neutral.

B.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
We have 'coins' here in RF, yet I've never seen what they look like. I'm wondering if they have 'In Todd we trust' stamped on them? :p

It doesn't matter whether you believe in Him or not. You will meet Him after you leave this life. Revelation is past. That means hell has been sealed up. Rev 20:13,14. So we all go to heaven. This is when we answer for our actions on earth. Even if you don't believe in God, you can still do good things for other people. Doing something good for a stranger not only makes you feel good, but makes the other person feel good. Now, what is wrong with this teaching? The bible is full of these kinds of teachings. We can't see God in this life, but we can hear him. He wants people who believe in Him because they know what is in there hearts. If your not listening to your heart, you don't know what your missing.
Bill is fine. We are going today to get him a current drivers license. Yes, he still obeys the law of man.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
steve at JRM said:
It doesn't matter whether you believe in Him or not. You will meet Him after you leave this life.
I say I will not meet someone/something that does not exist.