• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In God We Trust?

I have one book I base my religion on. The bible. And I can't see God, but I sure can feel him. And I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins, not because he had to, but because it was the right thing to do for humanity. But don't call me a christian. Because I have been called by "christians" an idiot, psychotic, even crazy for following what I believe is the voice of God. They teach about true faith, but when they see it, they don't recognize it. Just because you go to church on Sundays and give a couple of bucks for offering, doesn't make you a person of God. So why bother? Our money says In God We Trust. Do we really trust in God, or are we just happy to take His money. Yes, if you believe in the bible, it's his money. What do we do with that money? We buy bigger houses, newer cars, so that we can impress the other "christians".
But there's good news. We can do better. And I will do better. And if you want to do better with me, then for God's sake, join me. Let's stop bickering. Let's stop fighting. Let's stop talking down each other. I'm here because I want something better. I love my country. But I love other countries too. I'm proud to be an American, but I'm proud to be a good ole Swede, too. God wants us to join hands, planet earth.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
In God We Trust?
Ah...this old warhorse of a topic is back again. :banghead3

Once again, I state: "In God We Trust" does not belong on U.S. money, since the word "we" implies all Americans, and not all Americans believe in God -- I know I don't. It is essential that we maintain separation of church and state.

As for actually trusting in God, that is up to each person to decide individually.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
steve at JRM said:
I have one book I base my religion on. The bible. And I can't see God, but I sure can feel him. And I believe Jesus died on the cross for my sins, not because he had to, but because it was the right thing to do for humanity. But don't call me a christian. Because I have been called by "christians" an idiot, psychotic, even crazy for following what I believe is the voice of God.
although i don't agree with your particular beliefs about christ, and although i have debated with you, i hope i have never put you down like this, i respect anyone who can stick to their beliefs when they are under attack.

They teach about true faith, but when they see it, they don't recognize it. Just because you go to church on Sundays and give a couple of bucks for offering, doesn't make you a person of God. So why bother? Our money says In God We Trust. Do we really trust in God, or are we just happy to take His money. Yes, if you believe in the bible, it's his money. What do we do with that money? We buy bigger houses, newer cars, so that we can impress the other "christians".[/QUOTE] in england, out money does not say "in god we trust", some notes have puctures of darwin on them :eek:

i buy both things i need, and things i want - i donate 10% of my money (6 pounds a week) to a local charity for the homeless in nottingham - i do not give to the church i attend because i disagree with a fair bit of their teachings, and they already have a couple of hundred people giving them money, the charity i have chosen have relatively small numbers suporting them

i admit i do like having nice things, i do like wearing my leather waistecoat and my trenchcoat, and my silver belt and my rings and silver bracelets and my various pendants - but everyone has things they buy because they like, we are blessed with being able to enjoy these things in moderation (in my ippinion)
But there's good news. We can do better. And I will do better. And if you want to do better with me, then for God's sake, join me. Let's stop bickering. Let's stop fighting. Let's stop talking down each other. I'm here because I want something better. I love my country. But I love other countries too. I'm proud to be an American, but I'm proud to be a good ole Swede, too. God wants us to join hands, planet earth.
im glad you love the world you are apart of, but now, i must ask you this - when you say "then for god's sake, join me" - are you Proselytizing?

PureX

Veteran Member
Feelings aren't facts. And Feelings aren't necessarily God, either. But if you feel that your feelings are God talking to you, then I suppose you have to obey they tell you to do.

For myself, I'm usually happier when I am not enslaved to my feelings. They can come, and they can go, and I don't have to react to them at. And most of the time I find that my not reacting to them is the better way to go. I don't need to be in constant direct contact with God. I like being a human being and just letting God be God. I don't need to control God all the time, and God doesn't need to control me, either.

If people in the bible throughout time had not listened to God, where would we be? I think we all need to listen a little closer, because our world is out of control. This is the message I'm getting. God is not very happy with the way we are treating each other. Is this the respect He deserves. Praise God, and thank him for your blessings. Before it's too late. Amen

mormonman

Ammon is awesome
retrorich said:
Ah...this old warhorse of a topic is back again. :banghead3

Once again, I state: "In God We Trust" does not belong on U.S. money, since the word "we" implies all Americans, and not all Americans believe in God -- I know I don't. It is essential that we maintain separation of church and state.

As for actually trusting in God, that is up to each person to decide individually.
Is "In God We Trust" making you practice any religion, or if you choose not to look at it will you be put to death. Nope. I've said it before and I'll say it again, separation between church and state means that there will not be any Church of the United States. It doesn't mean there will be a brick wall between church and state.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
steve at JRM said:
If people in the bible throughout time had not listened to God, where would we be? I think we all need to listen a little closer, because our world is out of control. This is the message I'm getting. God is not very happy with the way we are treating each other. Is this the respect He deserves. Praise God, and thank him for your blessings. Before it's too late. Amen
please, when you say "before it is too late" it is like you are trying to scare people into conversion ........ i do hope this is now what you are trying to do;)

Franklin

mormonman said:
Is "In God We Trust" making you practice any religion, or if you choose not to look at it will you be put to death. Nope. I've said it before and I'll say it again, separation between church and state means that there will not be any Church of the United States. It doesn't mean there will be a brick wall between church and state.
Would the world be any different if our money did not have a reference to god? Would the country magically crumble if it was removeed? The entire notion is purely based on an appeal to tradition argument that does not stand up.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
mormonman said:
As I said,
"In God We Trust" does not belong on U.S. money, since the word "we" implies all Americans, and not all Americans believe in God -- I know I don't.
That is the essential (and irrefutable) argument against having "In God We Trust." on U.S. Money. I could not possibly make it any clearer. If you do not understand it, it is because you refuse to understand it. That is why I inlcuded the :banghead3 in my post.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I could care less if our money says 'In God we trust' Give to Caesar what is Caesar's. If people object that much, take it off. I don't think it will cause the dollar to crumble. It will not change anyone's belief in God. It's not a big deal, either way.

retrorich

SUPER NOT-A-MOD
jeffrey said:
I could care less if our money says 'In God we trust' I don't think it will cause the dollar to crumble. It will not change anyone's belief in God.
True. It will not do either of those things; it simply does not belong on our money for the reason I have stated.

jeffrey

†ßig Dog†
I can understand how it's offensive. Just like if the dollar said 'God is dead' or 'There is no God to trust', Christians and other religions would get upset. Soooo... Just remove it and we then can all do a happy dance! :D

Evenstar

The Wicked Christian
Its not God's money, my husband has to work for our money.... if it was God's money it would grow on tree's..... as the leaves grow.
Why is there so many homeless, why do people die daily from no food? If its God's money... surely he would have a heart, to make sure people eat.​
Not even Churches really want to help these people.

cardero

Citizen Mod
It supposed to make you feel good about earning and spending it. If it has God's name on it, society is supposed to feel more comfortable about exchanging it. From my understanding, GOD also thinks it is a bit presumptuous to put that slogan on money since the originators and supporters behind this reasoning have never bothered to consult Him.

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Evenstar said:
Its not God's money, my husband has to work for our money.... if it was God's money it would grow on tree's..... as the leaves grow.
Why is there so many homeless, why do people die daily from no food? If its God's money... surely he would have a heart, to make sure people eat.​
Not even Churches really want to help these people.
i heard a wonderful joke the other day :D

a vicor has sent round the collection plates, and then after the service, one of the parents came back into the church to ask the vicor about the sunday school rota. anyway, she came into the church, and saw the vicor tossing the money up in the air! startled by this, the woman asked "what on earth are you doing? that money is for God!"

to vicor, slightly un nerved by the intrusion, stands up, straightens his cloths, looks the woman in the eyes, and says "i throw all my money up to god, what gos wants, god takes, and what comes back down must therefore be mine!" ;)

Ody

jeffrey said:
I could care less if our money says 'In God we trust' Give to Caesar what is Caesar's. If people object that much, take it off. I don't think it will cause the dollar to crumble. It will not change anyone's belief in God. It's not a big deal, either way.
I agree

A

angellous_evangellous

let's all hold hands and sing kumba-ya and pretend like Steve never said that Bill the homeless guy in his motorhome is Jesus, who by the way wrote Ecclesiastes and has been to earth 27 times in a green spaceship (ok, I added the green spaceship :D , but Steve did mention something about UFOs).

perhaps psychotic behavior does not indicate a state of poor mental health

i'm feeling warm and fuzzy, so I must be experiencing some metaphyisical truth that trumps my nurotic behavior

EDIT:

From wiki "delusion"
"A delusion is commonly defined as a fixed false belief and is used in everyday language to describe a belief that is either false, fanciful or derived from deception. In psychiatry, the definition is necessarily more precise and implies that the belief is pathological (the result of an illness or illness process).
Delusions typically occur in the context of neurological or mental illness, although they are not tied to any particular disease and have been found to occur in the context of many pathological states (both physical and mental). However, they are of particular diagnostic importance in psychotic disorders and particularly in schizophrenia."

Feathers in Hair

World's Tallest Hobbit
As another gentle reminder, please investigate our forum rules, especially those having to do with rule 19. If you require a further explanation, please simply ask or PM me, and I'd be happy to oblige through PM.