• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In God We Trust

drekmed

not sure if this has been brought up here before, but i did a search on this phrase to look at the history. a lot of people say that america was founded on christianity, and i just thought i would see when this became the motto, and was placed on the money. the following bit are from
http://www.ustreas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.html
i will only copy a few highlights below.

"The motto IN GOD WE TRUST was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil War. Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received many appeals from devout persons throughout the country, urging that the United States recognize the Deity on United States coins. From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861."

"It was found that the Act of Congress dated January 18, 1837, prescribed the mottoes and devices that should be placed upon the coins of the United States. This meant that the mint could make no changes without the enactment of additional legislation by the Congress. In December 1863, the Director of the Mint submitted designs for new one-cent coin, two-cent coin, and three-cent coin to Secretary Chase for approval. He proposed that upon the designs either OUR COUNTRY; OUR GOD or GOD, OUR TRUST should appear as a motto on the coins."

"The Congress passed the Act of April 22, 1864. This legislation changed the composition of the one-cent coin and authorized the minting of the two-cent coin. The Mint Director was directed to develop the designs for these coins for final approval of the Secretary. IN GOD WE TRUST first appeared on the 1864 two-cent coin."

"The motto has been in continuous use on the one-cent coin since 1909, and on the ten-cent coin since 1916. It also has appeared on all gold coins and silver dollar coins, half-dollar coins, and quarter-dollar coins struck since July 1, 1908."

"A law passed by the 84th Congress (P.L. 84-140) and approved by the President on July 30, 1956, the President approved a Joint Resolution of the 84th Congress, declaring IN GOD WE TRUST the national motto of the United States. IN GOD WE TRUST was first used on paper money in 1957, when it appeared on the one-dollar silver certificate. The first paper currency bearing the motto entered circulation on October 1, 1957."

ok, there is a lot more on the web page, so if you want the rest of the story look there. i just find it funny that it was introduced during the civil war, and made the national motto during the cold war, 3 years after adding under god to the pledge.

i put it here so this issue can be debated instead of just a discussion, since there are many people adamantly opposed to any mention of god by the government. i have a few questions.

How do you feel about "In God We Trust" being the national motto?
How do you feel about "In God We Trust" being placed on the currency?
What should be done about it?

feel free to be as vague as you like, or get into an all out Knockout

Drekmed

ding...ding

drekmed

What the hell does that mean?
by vague i mean place a 1 word answer if you like, byKnockout i mean argue

and its time for me to go to sleep, i'll be back either in the morning or tomorrow night.

Ormiston

I think it's an atrocity (but I've been known to be over-dramatic). I'd have an easier time accepting the phrase if it was some ancient, innoculous comment. The scary aspect is that it was obviously printed with a purpose in mind. To take advantage of the social settings of the day and cement into law the religious beliefs of a specific group of people. How can you have a country that claims to offer religious freedom and then have that same country adopt a specific religion's deity in their motto?? Why not just remake the flag with a crucifix on it?

Radar

I don't think it should be on the money. I do find it strange that it was placed on the money during the cold war in the 50's when people were scared and everyone was super conservative. I don't think it would have flown 10 years later.

Fatmop

I don't usually mind at all. However, a friend of mine had a quote in his AIM profile that said "Pennies, the most abundant form of American currency. You can find them almost anywhere, anyday. Inscribed on each penny, it reads "In GOD we trust". Like pennies are in abundancy, so is God's love for you. Next time you see a penny on the ground, stop and pick it up. That's God's way of reminding you of his love."

I think if that national motto, printed on our currency, is giving people like him more reason to proselytize, it needs to be removed. Quite frankly, like Deut said, it excludes me. Maybe without malice, but dammit, I'm as much a patriot as the next man, whether or not I trust in God.

Reactions: Pah

JerryL

I'm not sure I actually agree "without malice". The movement which added "In God we trust" in the fifty's, and added "Under God" to the pledge was anti-communist (to the point of trials and blacklists). They saw communism as an atheist government, and so wanted to assert an anti-communist, anti-athiest face to the US.