• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'In God we Trust' ... In your own words, what does it mean to 'trust' in god?

amorphous_constellation

So, about this 'american motto,' which is of course written on our currency (in case others are unaware), and is something that every american must read and wonder at. In God we Trust

Why would it be written on money. For if you have an empty tank of gas, you trust in the power within your dollar rather than your god, do you not? Why should you consider god at all, if it is the dollar that will do the thing for you, and it is the dollar that you earned by your own power.

Now besides that odd fact, what does the statement even mean? It can't really be given a logical and rational shape, how is it even contemplated? It seems like something that can be easily contorted to justify poor judgement. It seems to imply that things can go wrong, so part of the responsibility in life should be shouldered by god. How much of it?

Our money should say 'In Ourselves we Trust.' Why would it be fair to god, for you to put your responsibility on him? When you do anything in life, why not own it

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
It was done in response to godless Communism when the world was divided into two warring camps.

The Pledge of Allegiance similarly had "under God" added for the same reason.

rational experiences

Veteran Member
God the body of stone, and by the will of God trust that God would advise you, human self if you were wrong.

The form of God that I trusted spiritually.

So humans were informed, to never name God, as fusion and never change God by naming God.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It means Christian leaders can be exceedingly insecure. That they have to let everyone know that they are in charge, and because they themselves might forget they needed it printed on their real god to remind them that they are supposed to trust in Jehovah rather than Mammon.

'In God we Trust' ... In your own words, what does it mean to 'trust' in god?

I don’t like to invent own words. That is why I would say it means just what it says in common words. They trust (= believe in the reliability) in God. But, interesting question is, do they mean Bible God with it, or someone else.

PureX

Veteran Member
So, about this 'american motto,' which is of course written on our currency (in case others are unaware), and is something that every american must read and wonder at. In God we Trust

Why would it be written on money. For if you have an empty tank of gas, you trust in the power within your dollar rather than your god, do you not? Why should you consider god at all, if it is the dollar that will do the thing for you, and it is the dollar that you earned by your own power.

Now besides that odd fact, what does the statement even mean? It can't really be given a logical and rational shape, how is it even contemplated? It seems like something that can be easily contorted to justify poor judgement. It seems to imply that things can go wrong, so part of the responsibility in life should be shouldered by god. How much of it?

Our money should say 'In Ourselves we Trust.' Why would it be fair to god, for you to put your responsibility on him? When you do anything in life, why not own it
Here in the U.S., money IS God, as it determines who lives and who dies, who gets to be happy and who suffers in misery, who has our admiration or contempt, and thereby defines our existential purpose. Where we once needed "God's favor" to survive and thrive in this world, we now need only money.

So, of course, the "God we trust" being referred to on the dollar bill is the value of the bill, itself.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

It appears to be a feel good slogan for fundies.
Why the need to impose it upon others?
Good question.

amorphous_constellation

It means Christian leaders can be exceedingly insecure. That they have to let everyone know that they are in charge, and because they themselves might forget they needed it printed on their real god to remind them that they are supposed to trust in Jehovah rather than Mammon.

When I first saw that written on the money, I should have known then and there where the prosperous jobs were

I don’t like to invent own words. That is why I would say it means just what it says in common words. They trust (= believe in the reliability) in God. But, interesting question is, do they mean Bible God with it, or someone else.

Reliable to do what?

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member

I think the issue goes deeper...

Matt 6:
22 “The eye is the lamp of the body. If your eyes are healthy,your whole body will be full of light.
23 But if your eyes are unhealthy,your whole body will be full of darkness. If then the light within you is darkness, how great is that darkness!
24 “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money.

I think the issue is for "In God We Trust" is that we are saying, we don't trust money or serve money.... we trust God and serve God. How many people do things just for monetary gain?

It doesn't relieve us of our responsibilities and owning our responsibilities but rather sets the goal to fulfill our responsibilities

amorphous_constellation

I think the issue is for "In God We Trust" is that we are saying, we don't trust money or serve money.... we trust God and serve God. How many people do things just for monetary gain?

Yeah, but in reality we really do trust money to do all the things we need. You don't trust god to pay the heating bill or give you food, you trust the power of the dollar.

It doesn't relieve us of our responsibilities and owning our responsibilities but rather sets the goal to fulfill our responsibilities

The statement can be distorted to mean what a reader might like. In the perspective of a wealthy person, it might read as 'I spend and seek money, but I trust that god won't judge me for it.' Or I trust god that he's guiding me to gain and spend and massive amounts of money, as I use it with guidance from his 'will.' Or all this money is really just useless paper no matter how of it I have, it's really god that's giving me the good life. So the point is, that it's a vague statement that you can easily weasel through even if it's written on money

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Yeah, but in reality we really do trust money to do all the things we need. You don't trust god to pay the heating bill or give you food, you trust the power of the dollar.
Yes, but that isn't what I am saying.

If you are serving money... then it has you. For an example: How many people, having money, continue to pursue money at the expense of helping others?

Why does the Enron CEO steal having enough money already? For the love of money. Money is his/their priority.

Why do renown sports persona spend their money on lasciviousness? Because they believe that money is what brings happiness.

So, whether it is power, authority, influence and even happiness... they are trusting in money to get it.

The statement can be distorted to mean what a reader might like. In the perspective of a wealthy person, it might read as 'I spend and seek money, but I trust that god won't judge me for it.' Or I trust god that he's guiding me to gain and spend and massive amounts of money, as I use it with guidance from his 'will.' Or all this money is really just useless paper no matter how of it I have, it's really god that's giving me the good life. So the point is, that it's a vague statement that you can easily weasel through even if it's written on money

I'm not sure exactly what is being distorted.. One can be without money and be happy (I've been there). If one trusts God, in the worst of circumstances you can have peace. You can have all the money in the world hoping it will bring peace and happiness and still be in unrest and have a destroyed unhappy life.

So, when you have the position of "In God We Trust", money become irrelevant--you can have it or find yourself in a position of not having it. If you trust mammon and not God, it will be more that just whether or not you pay your electric bill

amorphous_constellation

If you are serving money... then it has you. For an example: How many people, having money, continue to pursue money at the expense of helping others?

It's a competitive system we live in man, stepping on heads in pursuit of money is what we do here to gain ground in hierarchies, for example. If my company's downsizing, you think someone's going to take a layoff or poise themselves to try and get my job? If I'm trying to get a good job, do I just hand it over to my competitors, or do I make a good case that I should have it and not them?

As another example, If a homeless person is sitting on the sidewalk just 'trusting god' all day, how many people will pass him by on that day, either on their way to make money or to spend it? Who trusts in god more, this poor man, or the people who pass him by, with many paper notes that describe a trust in god? Everyone here is serving money, the 'in god we trust' thing is probably inspires more justification than humility

Why does the Enron CEO steal having enough money already? For the love of money. Money is his/their priority.

I don't know anything about them. As to wuat really inspires the super rich to make money, I am not sure, as they can't really gain much more freedom than they have by making more of it after a certain point

One can be without money and be happy (I've been there). If one trusts God, in the worst of circumstances you can have peace.

Yeah right. Give me an example of how that works, how does it give you peace to not have the stuff. What money is, is freedom. What poverty is, is usually a cage. I guess I can obscurely see how peace can be found, if one finds disengagement in the cage of poverty as being peaceful. For a homeless person, I suppose the world is their house, but that wide open world is also a cage. For they do not have the money (freedom) to unlock any great freedoms the whole world over

You can have all the money in the world hoping it will bring peace and happiness and still be in unrest and have a destroyed unhappy life.

Sure, if you have no idea how to use freedom

Last edited:

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
What money is, is freedom.
Not really. It's paper that keeps us bound to a system that is corrupt, failing, not working, wasteful, destructive, unsustainable, and becoming too obsolete to keep anyways. Money isn't freedom, not unless it's the freedom to work and contribute and still not be able to afford basic necessities. People know this, but they do nothing, and live in fear that if they do anything they could lose everything they have. Such ideas have basically replaced "gods will," and if course we can't go against that because being with god is freedom (or do they say).

amorphous_constellation

It's paper that keeps us bound to a system that is corrupt, failing, not working, wasteful, destructive, unsustainable, and becoming too obsolete to keep anyways.

Well, in the paradigm you describe it is the freedom that lets you become a lot more unbound than others are, to the more imprisoning powers within that paradigm. It allows for movement in the paradigm, and this we call freedom. Or at least it forms one very important attribute of freedom. At least you might admit that saying 'money is freedom' is more accurate than saying 'money is happiness.'

Now aside from that, I don't suppose I'm really debating for or against the existence of the paradigm itself. That's a separate thing which does, as you say, seem to contain the thing I am talking about, though

Money isn't freedom, not unless it's the freedom to work and contribute and still not be able to afford basic necessities.

If you have enough of it, then you certainly don't have to do those things much. That's why I think it's useful to think of it as freedom

Last edited:

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Ok, but what do you guys think it means to 'trust in god.' How is that accomplished
If someone believes in an all-knowing all-powerful all-merciful God, then everything that happens must be God's will. I'm no where close to it yet, but this means that people try to see everything from the perspective that God is in charge and everything that happens is by the will of God.

As far as the journey, how it's accomplished, the only thing I can think of is "slowly", step by slow step in trying to remember that perspective when something happens that is bothersome.

amorphous_constellation

If someone believes in an all-knowing all-powerful all-merciful God, then everything that happens must be God's will. I'm no where close to it yet, but this means that people try to see everything from the perspective that God is in charge and everything that happens is by the will of God.

And you might see how that argument or explanation might aid a user of money, to obviate the will of the one who really uses it. I can buy the mansion and the jet plane, but god's will is in my gains. Why not be more honest with all this. I did for money, and money did for me

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

All I see from it is a go at the commies.