• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In accordance with the scriptures?????

ppp

and for the most point they would be wrong.why? because people want to believe what they want to believe
Partially. And the cultural tradition from which they come. Religious beliefs are most often a product of family and geography. But mostly because they cannot demonstrate a link between religious experience and the cause of that experience. Not unless they presume their conclusion.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Yes, i did read it, but I dont believe the idea that it is a 'nation' who is brought up close to God is accurate. Are you saying every isrealite is going to be resurrected to heaven to sit at Gods right hand? Because the prophecy shows that the ruler must reside with God in heaven to rule. How do you explain that without a resurrection taking place??
[/QUOTE]

fair enough, apologies for that

However, you did ask why Christians say the Messiah was to be resurrected. We use the explanations of the Jews back in Jesus day who took a different view to your jewish teachers of today.

You know there is a say about jews (and i can say this because my grandfather was a jew )
"If you put 3 jews in a room, you'll get 4 different opinions"

And aint that the truth! Even in Jesus day there were serveral different schools of thought among the jews. The pharisees believed in the resurrection but the Sadducees did not. They all sat in the same Sanhedrin worshiping the same God under the same high priest and yet they believed totally different things about the same scriptures.

So many different teachers today, so many different ideas. How do you know which one to believe??[/QUOTE]
No, my question was a little different. It was, where in the Tanakh does it say anything about the Messiah resurrecting apart from the general resurrection.

As to the different sects of Judaism that existed in Jesus day, all but one died out, so we do know which one was the correct sect. If it dies out, it is not of God.

YoursTrue

Faith-confidence in what we hope for (Hebrews 11)
It's not open to Jews. Jesus said he did not come away to do with the Laws and Prophets and warned against teaching they have been lessened. It's open to Gentiles as it always has been because we weren't a part of those Covenants between Yahweh and the Hebrews.
Peter was a Jew. As I said, furthermore, lots and lots of Jews eat non-kosher foods. So -- that means -- (1) they eat non-kosher foods, and (2) what about the covenants? Not being followed? My oh my....

YoursTrue

The general resurrection happens for all humanity at the end of the world. It has not happened yet. IF Jesus rose from the dead (I don't think so) it would be a separate event, one that would need to be referred to specifically.
Why? (At least you believe in a resurrection of the dead...I think...)

YoursTrue

The general resurrection happens for all humanity at the end of the world. It has not happened yet. IF Jesus rose from the dead (I don't think so) it would be a separate event, one that would need to be referred to specifically.
Furthermore, Jesus being raised from the dead means more than just him being raised from the dead. But we can go into that perhaps another time. (The scepter as foretold in the Hebrew scriptures.)

Bree

You are confused as to what I was saying. Even if there is a one true god, all of the teachers could be wrong.

yes thats a good point. And there will always be teachers who are teaching falsehood.

Those who wrote the scriptures, were not teachers of falsehood though. They are authoritive because they had the signs and evidences that God was with them. For example, Moses parted the red sea before the eyes of all the people, his curses of plagues came exactly as he stated...this was evidence that God was with him so the people knew they couuld trust him. They believed him, not because of what he said but because of the proof he gave as to his commssion from God.

The same is true of Jesus Christ. It wasnt only what he said (even though his wisdom amazed everyone) but it was what he did that people came to believe he was the messiah. He raised people from the dead...you cant give much more proof then that. So it was the same with his apostles....they were believed because of the signs and mircles they were able to perform.

Trust the scriptures over anyone. There are so many interpretation of the scriptures but there is a way to dig for truth in the scripturas if you want to.

YoursTrue

And I know many Christians who have been married multiple times.
And so? Here wait. I'll tell you. It means that there are Jews who do not adhere to the "covenant(s)" and Christians who do not adhere to what the Bible tells them. Of course that moves into more questions, doesn't it. :) (Yes, it does.)

ppp

yes thats a good point. And there will always be teachers who are teaching falsehood.

Those who wrote the scriptures, were not teachers of falsehood though. They are authoritive because they had the signs and evidences that God was with them. For example, Moses parted the red sea before the eyes of all the people, his curses of plagues came exactly as he stated...this was evidence that God was with him so the people knew they couuld trust him. They believed him, not because of what he said but because of the proof he gave as to his commssion from God.

The same is true of Jesus Christ. It wasnt only what he said (even though his wisdom amazed everyone) but it was what he did that people came to believe he was the messiah. He raised people from the dead...you cant give much more proof then that. So it was the same with his apostles....they were believed because of the signs and mircles they were able to perform.

Trust the scriptures over anyone. There are so many interpretation of the scriptures but there is a way to dig for truth in the scripturas if you want to.

But you are just taking the writers' word for it. Right?

Bree

But you are just taking the writers' word for it. Right?

absolutely! The writer is the one who was inspired by God to write. The message is pure when you listen only to the writer and not to people trying to interpret the writer.

ppp

absolutely! The writer is the one who was inspired by God to write. The message is pure when you listen only to the writer and not to people trying to interpret the writer.
Yeah, but my point is that you are just taking their word for it that they were inspired by God. You are only taking their word for it that the message is pure. Or even that there was a message.

YoursTrue

Yeah, but my point is that you are just taking their word for it that they were inspired by God. You are only taking their word for it that the message is pure. Or even that there was a message.
Here's the problem as I see it: if you're on a jury where you listen to both sides, a lawyer for and a lawyer against, either side may bring up things that are not certain, meaning cannot be proved at the time of trial. So the jury usually decides -- what is more credible. While I know there are things in the Bible that are astounding to us today, because of its consistent theme and history of transmission, I have come to trust it.

ppp

Here's the problem as I see it: if you're on a jury where you listen to both sides, a lawyer for and a lawyer against, either side may bring up things that are not certain, meaning cannot be proved at the time of trial. So the jury usually decides -- what is more credible. While I know there are things in the Bible that are astounding to us today, because of its consistent theme and history of transmission, I have come to trust it.

The thing is that this would not make it to court dues to an inability by the prosecution to establish a prima facia case.
  • The witnesses are all unavailable to provide direct testimony
  • Their affidavits have no corroboration of crucial facts from third parties.
  • Their affidavits have no originals.
  • There is copious clear and unambiguous evidence of tampering in the document presented.
  • There is no demonstration that the phenomenon claimed do exist, or can exists.
I am fine with astounding things. Just so long as there is more evidence than someone's word for it.

oldbadger

Skanky Old Mongrel!
The Nicene Creed states of Jesus: "For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried, and rose again on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures."

My problem is, there is absolutely nothing in the Tanakh that states the Messiah will come back to life. Where are Christians getting this?
Yeah........ That and this 'coming back to life' after many many hours left unattended in a tomb......
Christianity picks and chooses it's scriptures anyway.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
The Nicene Creed states of Jesus: "For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate,
he suffered death and was buried, and rose again on the third day in accordance with the Scriptures."

My problem is, there is absolutely nothing in the Tanakh that states the Messiah will come back to life. Where are Christians getting this?
Psalms 16:10