• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

in a crude indifferent universe how is the ideal called God possible?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I don't want to fool myself into believing there is a God.

God is omniscient, omnipresent and can do anything?

how about a lesser God?

this universe is violent and evil is out there, what evidence justifies the existence of god?

God is too ideal and too perfect to exist.

I've never felt the presence of God.

I would love for there to be god, but I don't see any possibility for god, do you?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Whether or not there is a god or gods, it wouldn't matter to me. I can't accept authoritarianism. So-and-so knows best, but can't or won't explain how and why it's best doesn't jive with me. So I will continue to evaluate the information available to me and make judgement calls on what helps or harms behaviors cause, based on the consequences those behaviors have on people and their environment. NOT based on who says it's right or wrong.

Lyndon

"Peace is the answer" quote: GOD, 2014
Premium Member
You call the world crude and indifferent, I suggest you probably have a pretty good life and a lot to be thankful for.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
people make the world a good place to live. and I am fortunate.

The universe itself is full of bad weather, war, cosmic collisions, heinous crimes, disease, destitution etc. . why would God make this place? a lot of people that mattered to me have died, that's not so good.

God as an authority figure isn't a bad thing, if God is all about peace, love, joy, and benevolent charity, deserve, innocence, loyalty, virtue and holiness.

I don't mind authority if it is true blue and able to do right.

God the keeper of justice, I'm all for a God to exist, I just don't see how that is possible

Last edited:

Father Heathen

Veteran Member

how about a lesser God?

this universe is violent and evil is out there, what evidence justifies the existence of god?

I would love for there to be god, but I don't see any possibility for god, do you?

What if god were an amoral, non-anthropomorphic entity that, like the universe itself , doesn't reward, punish, or judge - it just is. To endure, recognize, address, and solve our own faults and follies is part of our growth as a species.

Last edited:

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

how about a lesser God?

I suppose the possibility exists, but that's about it.

It is kind of frightening, when one considers that we're essentially on a ball of mud inside a relatively tiny bubble of air, moving through what is mostly a vast emptiness. I wouldn't say the universe is "evil," but cold and indifferent, just as nature can be cold and indifferent.

Tabu

people make the world a good place to live. and I am fortunate.

The universe itself is full of bad weather, war, cosmic collisions, heinous crimes, disease, destitution etc. . why would God make this place? a lot of people that mattered to me have died, that's not so good.

God as an authority figure isn't a bad thing, if God is all about peace, love, joy, and benevolent charity, deserve, innocence, loyalty, virtue and holiness.

I don't mind authority if it is true blue and able to do right.

God the keeper of justice, I'm all for a God to exist, I just don't see how that is possible
Our (BK) understanding is that presently there is much sorrow accumulated from many previous births as we are reaching the end of the cycle , we are in the darkest part of the night after which there would be a new day , and God helps in bringing the new day by purifying souls and renewing nature. God is the restorer of justice , peace and happiness .

SabahTheLoner

Master of the Art of Couch Potato Cuddles

I'd say that's a good thing. A lot of people don't question why they do believe in God. I think it's better to understand why you want to or do believe that something exists than say you blindly believe in it.

how about a lesser God?

An all-powerful God is rather paradoxical, in my view. Some people would argue the "can God make a rock he cannot move?" question. I don't think that really means any God who may exist is necessarily lesser. Just not what people say he is.

I have felt the same way. But that doesn't mean you must turn your back to God like I did. I had a personal choice based on my experience, and so do you. So you can make your own theory about God. My dad, for example, believes God isn't actually omnipresent and He created the universe as a system through science. "There will be problems with a system, but it makes more sense. There's no point in micro-managing everything, it's too much work. God constantly maintains the system, eventually things will get better."

Can God exist? Sure. I don't have a problem with that possibility under certain concepts. The reason I don't believe in God is because I never had an experience that made me think everything in the universe is under the same law or is interconnected in some magical way. In my view, the universe just is. God probably just is, but you'd need to prove that first. So what is God? I dunno, but maybe you can come up with something. If not, then that's okay. The world can still be enjoyed regardless of your views on God.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
That is good. More difficult is fooling oneself into disbelieving in God. "Ideal" is a judgement.

My recommendation would be to read Job, read Candide, and then sit with the tension between the two for a few of years.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate

how about a lesser God?

God created that world with no evil, no fear, worry, discomfort or grief. That world still exists today; for Jellyfish. And hence they feel no comfort, joy, accomplishment, or love either

Would you trade? me neither!

oranssi

The infinite zero
I see God as a child that is playing with all its toys. He plays me, you, the car, the road, this house, the wars, the drama...

When a child plays a certain role assuming a certain toy, is the child the toy or is the toy the child?

And why does he play? A play is a paradox, it is a figure-of-speach, it is make-believe. And all this to lead to the conservation of infinity.

Why must there be infinity? Because change is the eternal self-reflection. For God to exist, everything else must existe (hence infinity).

Do we comprehend infinity? No. The same way we can't comprehend anything really at its fundamental core. BUT..

When we return to the Child at play, we understand. We don't come into this world, we came out of a mystery like waves from the ocean.

I see Life and Death as a musical tune, that if it is not good enough then it is because the raposody hasn't finished.
Like a german saying says : Ende gut, alles gut

12jtartar

Premium Member

how about a lesser God?

Odgart,
Most what you said comes from the fact that people do not understand the reason for this earth being in such a terrible condition, and getting worse very quickly.
Do you really think that this earth is the way God wants it?? God actually says the He is love, 1John 4:8, Deuteronomy 32:4,5, Job 34:10-12, 36:26, 37:5,16,23.
Everyone must understand that since the rebellion of Adam and Eve, God has Allowed mankind to go their own way, and most have followed the ruler of this earth, which is Satan the Devil, not God, Jehovah, 2 Corinthians 4:3,4, John 12:31, 14:30, 16:11, 1John 5:19, Revelation 12:9.
Then consider the way that God has promised to rule over this planet, Isaiah 11:1-9, 65:17-25. When God sends His son Jesus to judge this world, it will be just like a new world to the ones remaining, 2Peter 3:13, because Jesus will remove all people who do not Know God and follow Or lord Jesus, 2Peter 3:7, 2 Acts 17:31, John 5:22, 2Thessalonians 1:6-10, Matthew 25:31-46. God's original purpose for earth was a paradise, with the Garden of Eden extending to cover the whole earth, Genesis 1:26-28. That is exactly the way it will start to become after Armageddon, when God will be the overall ruler, through Jesus as King of the Kingdom. The earth will be made a paradise, nothing like what we see today, Revelation 21:1-8.
Remember, in the Bible we are told, just how much He cares for His people, enough to send His son to earth to give his fleshly life for all those who believe in him and follow his teachings, John 3:16.
Both Jesus and Jehovah The Almighty, will then be our Fathers, Loving Fathers, and we can only imagine in our dreams the unbelievably happy future, and blessings we will receive as their children.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
The universe itself is full of bad weather, war, cosmic collisions, heinous crimes, disease, destitution etc. . why would God make this place? a lot of people that mattered to me have died, that's not so good
That's just part of its grandeur. From destruction, comes creation, in an eternal cycle. We're here now. We exist despite all odds. We struggle, yes, but the struggle can part of a refinement if you let it. No one said life was supposed to be easy.

David T

Premium Member
INTe

how about a lesser God?

Intersting and normal view of death very southern Baptist.

LukeS

Or, being ideal and perfect, its an expression of optimism to believe - as it would be preferable if God did exist. This is the psychological correlate of the famous ontological argument.