• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In a bit of a dilemma

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I’m a devotee of Vishnu/Krishna, who is God to me. But as I’m getting more and more into my music and getting better, I’m increasingly drawn to Saraswati as the one who may be my ishta-devata, “personal deity”. I’ve always been one for learning, writing, speech (stutter notwithstanding), arts, and most importantly music. I think she's guided me all through school. I just didn't know it.

When I gave up guitar over the years, being discouraged and frustrated, I think she shrugged and said “well, if he’s not going to try, I'm not going to try, I’ll leave him alone”. It’s a year I’m back to playing and learning with a vengeance, no breaks this time, occasional frustration but that to be expected in any endeavor. I put the guitar back in its stand, close the songbook and say tomorrow's another day. I picked up bass again to learn. We got a small piano... the husband’s idea :rolleyes: but I have some keyboard background and knowledge. I think Saraswati said said “now we’re getting somewhere!”. And I credit her help, but I don’t want to supplant Krishna... I don’t know how to fit her into my worship and give her proper worship.

On the other hand Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita that if anyone wants to worship another deity he's cool with that, he'll help the person be steady in their faith. They just have to realize they're worshiping all the same God. My shrine might be dedicated to Saraswati, if I go this route, but Krishna will be there also.

Maybe I just answered my own question? Thoughts? :shrug:

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I’m a devotee of Vishnu/Krishna, who is God to me. But as I’m getting more and more into my music and getting better, I’m increasingly drawn to Saraswati as the one who may be my ishta-devata, “personal deity”. I’ve always been one for learning, writing, speech (stutter notwithstanding), arts, and most importantly music. I think she's guided me all through school. I just didn't know it.

When I gave up guitar over the years, being discouraged and frustrated, I think she shrugged and said “well, if he’s not going to try, I'm not going to try, I’ll leave him alone”. It’s a year I’m back to playing and learning with a vengeance, no breaks this time, occasional frustration but that to be expected in any endeavor. I put the guitar back in its stand, close the songbook and say tomorrow's another day. I picked up bass again to learn. We got a small piano... the husband’s idea :rolleyes: but I have some keyboard background and knowledge. I think Saraswati said said “now we’re getting somewhere!”. And I credit her help, but I don’t want to supplant Krishna... I don’t know how to fit her into my worship and give her proper worship.

On the other hand Krishna says in the Bhagavad Gita that if anyone wants to worship another deity he's cool with that, he'll help the person be steady in their faith. They just have to realize they're worshiping all the same God. My shrine might be dedicated to Saraswati, if I go this route, but Krishna will be there also.

Whatever will be will be.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
We have a whole lot of Gods and Goddesses (16 in all whom I listed in another topic) in the family puja enclosure (why family puja enclosure, because I am an atheist and they are not) all living peacefully, being worshiped morning and evening by my wife (she is the chief priestess) and others too. At her command we rush to the puja and are given a glass of 'charanamrita'. Son and Grandsons are eligible for two glasses if they so desire. Very tasty. We have no doubts, no dillema.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I'm not sure why you couldn't worship both. I can't see either Krishna or Saraswati objecting.
Yeah, they'll get into some big fight, cause some guy in Joisey decided to switch loyalties. I hear she's an 8-1 underdog.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure why you couldn't worship both. I can't see either Krishna or Saraswati objecting.

No, they won’t. I could make a little side shrine for her, make small offerings rather than a full-on puja... a flower, incense, a lamp. Something like that. I think she’s already pleased with my attitude about my playing... my attitude which includes thanking her after I finish or when I’m tossing a song around in my head, remembering she’s helping me.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
No, they won’t. I could make a little side shrine for her, make small offerings rather than a full-on puja... a flower, incense, a lamp. Something like that. I think she’s already pleased with my attitude about my playing... my attitude which includes thanking her after I finish or when I’m tossing a song around in my head, remembering she’s helping me.

Just a thought... you could occasionally play a song as an offering to her as well. :)

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
We have a whole lot of Gods and Goddesses (16 in all whom I listed in another topic) in the family puja enclosure (why family puja enclosure, because I am an atheist and they are not) all living peacefully, being worshiped morning and evening by my wife (she is the chief priestess) and others too. At her command we rush to the puja and are given a glass of 'charanamrita'. Son and Grandsons are eligible for two glasses if they so desire. Very tasty. We have no doubts, no dillema.

You’ve no doubt seen my shrine picture the other week. When I open the curtain I greet them all. When I offer the incense and lamp to Krishna I pass them around to all the deities.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Just a thought... you could occasionally play a song as an offering to her as well. :)

That is a good idea. Like when we were little and made color drawings for our mothers and they put them on the refrigerator. :D

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member

Why not both?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Why not both?

No problem there, my question is how would I go about it? I do a daily full-on puja to Krishna with panchopachara, the five offerings of gandha, dipa, dhupa, pushpa, naivedya. Actually eight... phala, achamaniya, akshata. Then aarati w/ om jaya jagadisha hare, then mantrapushpanjali with a couple of flowers and Mantra Pushpam. It’s about 20-25 mins. I could do a little tiny one for Saraswati after Krishna puja or another time ... maybe when I know I’m going to be playing for a while... flower, incense, wave the lamp, some slokas like the ya kundendu tushara dhavala ... sloka, etc.

Viraja

Jaya Jagannatha!
Jai ji,

Upon my instincts reading your last reply, I want to insist to you not to stop or cut-short your panchopachara puja. May be that is what has led you to your thoughts on Ma Saraswathi?

But to suggest what you ought to do, is something I am unable to do.

I really think you need a guru. Those ISKCON gurus, esp. Bakthi Vikas Swami, Indradyumna Swami Maharaj or Kadamba Kanana Swami all have their own webpages and have listed an email to contact them, my humble suggestion is for you to reach out to them. I think they will respond even to non-ISKCON members.

But, Saraswathi is great. Jai Ma!

Vinidra

Jai Mata Di!
No problem there, my question is how would I go about it? I do a daily full-on puja to Krishna with panchopachara, the five offerings of gandha, dipa, dhupa, pushpa, naivedya. Actually eight... phala, achamaniya, akshata. Then aarati w/ om jaya jagadisha hare, then mantrapushpanjali with a couple of flowers and Mantra Pushpam. It’s about 20-25 mins. I could do a little tiny one for Saraswati after Krishna puja or another time ... maybe when I know I’m going to be playing for a while... flower, incense, wave the lamp, some slokas like the ya kundendu tushara dhavala ... sloka, etc.

I do puja to several different Goddesses, and the way I go about it is to assign a day of the week to each one and do that Goddess's puja on that day.

So for example, I do Durga puja on Monday, Kali puja on Tuesday, Lakshmi puja on Wednesday, and Saraswati puja on Thursday. The days are not significant in any way; that's just how I happened to schedule it.

So you could possibly try to do Krishna puja today, Saraswati puja tomorrow, etc., maybe?

I don't know, it might not work for you, but it does work for me, so I thought I'd suggest it. :)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
You’re right. I’m giving it thought, not too much, just a little bit. I’ll shut up and let them talk.
Mother Saraswati will sing and Krishna will play the flute. Anything better than that?
@Vinidra , that will not work for Jai. He has a little fixation for Krishna.

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
I really think you need a guru. Those ISKCON gurus, esp. Bakthi Vikas Swami, Indradyumna Swami Maharaj or Kadamba Kanana Swami all have their own webpages and have listed an email to contact them, my humble suggestion is for you to reach out to them. I think they will respond even to non-ISKCON members.
But, Saraswathi is great. Jai Ma!
Nothing against ISKCON, but one can write to any Vaishnava swami of a reputable organization to get direction. Perhaps the Sri Krihna Madhva Matha in Udipi, Ramakrishna Mission or Sri Vaishnavas. All will have some link on internet.
Jai, before you pick up your music instrument, sing "Yā Kundndu ..". That is Saraswati Puja.
".. nihshesha jādyā pahā" (May Mother Saraswati end your ignorance without a remainder).

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I do puja to several different Goddesses, and the way I go about it is to assign a day of the week to each one and do that Goddess's puja on that day.

So for example, I do Durga puja on Monday, Kali puja on Tuesday, Lakshmi puja on Wednesday, and Saraswati puja on Thursday. The days are not significant in any way; that's just how I happened to schedule it.

So you could possibly try to do Krishna puja today, Saraswati puja tomorrow, etc., maybe?

I don't know, it might not work for you, but it does work for me, so I thought I'd suggest it. :)

That’s a good idea. I have thought about something like that for the deities I feel a special connection with. I did a week or two of puja for Maa Lakshmi because she helped with some financial blessings I didn’t expect.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Jai, before you pick up your music instrument, sing "Yā Kundndu ..". That is Saraswati Puja.
".. nihshesha jādyā pahā" (May Mother Saraswati end your ignorance without a remainder).

Yes, that and
sarasvatī namastubhyaṃ
varade kāmarūpiṇī
vidyārambhaṃ kariṣyāmi
siddhirbhavatu me sadā

This is the cover I made for my music songbook. These are the sort of things She helps me with.

7BA081B1-3779-4AC8-8F0B-5344F75EE523.jpeg