• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

In 2020 Catholics made a call for the return of compulsary Blue laws.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Catholics are Making the Call to ‘Bring Back the Blue Laws’ | Advent Messenger

Here are some snippets. .....

America, for the sake of its own emotional and spiritual welfare—for the sake of its own sanity—needs to restore the blue laws. There was a time, surprising as it may be, when Amazon did not deliver on Sunday, and Americans somehow survived. There was a time when citizens had to do their shopping at the hardware store on a weekday, or early Saturday morning, in order to complete their home projects. To preempt accusations of ‘theocracy,’ I am not advocating mandatory church-going (though it wouldn’t be the worst idea), but rather simple restrictions on which businesses remain open on Sunday.” [2]

“Blue laws may limit ‘freedom,’ but only the freedom to limitless consumption. If promulgated in a prudent and focused way, they can cultivate virtue, strengthen neighborliness, and protect small businesses. Most importantly, they can help promote prayer and peace—now, when America needs them most.” [2]

Are you for a compulsory day of rest, or against it?

Personally I think that should be up to individuals to decide, and not a government or church.

For me, I would be against such a thing in terms of lawmaking, but it's not a bad thing to take a rest from society for a day either.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm confused.

This is usually a Protestant thing and such Sundays are called 'Protestant Sundays'.

pearl

For me, I would be against such a thing in terms of lawmaking, but it's not a bad thing to take a rest from society for a day either.

That's the thing, the Blue Laws did not only benefit the religious, but they also gave a respite from being hounded by credit collectors etc. More time for family since stores closed on Sunday's.
I am old enough to remember when stores closed at 6pm except on Wed, they were open 'till 9pm.
We managed to survive quite well. Even now with the 'Black Friday' sales following Thanksgiving, some open in the afternoon or early evening. Here in Massachusetts, they are not allowed to open 'till midnight. For the most part its really a personal choice. Although I must admit that there are times when I'm glad liquor stores are now allowed to open on Sunday's.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
ArkGaz_Dec_15_1920_t.jpg

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm against it.

I'm in a minority, but the only thing I miss about pre covid times is things running 24 hours, or at least later than they are. (I'm fine with the masks, and gatherings be damned.) As a person who worked(and enjoyed working) third shift, I hated that I had to choose to either lose sleep(and go to work tired that night) or not to use certain businesses. Forcing businesses to close is only going to cause more trouble for those with an untraditional work schedule.

Many are not blessed with the 9-5, Mon-Fri work schedule. Many people work shifts, or during the weekends. Some people even need their weekend shifts to make ends meet. Requiring things be shut down on Sunday when a business owner would rather keep going seems to be pushing someone else's ideal(in this case, I feel its heavily influenced by religion)down society's throat.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
First legalize drugs and regulate them like medicine or alcohol.

Then we can consider a 3 day weekend blue law. I'm for that. That would transform society and bring back the village and town.

Also 1 day no longer makes sense. We have farm machines and all kinds of things that make it possible to have a longer time of rest. We could be having 3 days in a row of family time.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member
First legalize drugs and regulate them like medicine or alcohol.

Then we can consider a 3 day weekend blue law. I'm for that. That would transform society and bring back the village and town.

Also 1 day no longer makes sense. We have farm machines and all kinds of things that make it possible to have a longer time of rest. We could be having 3 days in a row of family time.

Can we get UBI while we're at it, too? To make up for lost wages with all those days off? We should have more money coming in from the taxation of the newly legal and regulated drugs.

Truth in love

America, for the sake of its own emotional and spiritual welfare—for the sake of its own sanity—needs to restore the blue laws. There was a time, surprising as it may be, when Amazon did not deliver on Sunday, and Americans somehow survived. There was a time when citizens had to do their shopping at the hardware store on a weekday, or early Saturday morning, in order to complete their home projects. To preempt accusations of ‘theocracy,’ I am not advocating mandatory church-going (though it wouldn’t be the worst idea), but rather simple restrictions on which businesses remain open on Sunday.” [2]

“Blue laws may limit ‘freedom,’ but only the freedom to limitless consumption. If promulgated in a prudent and focused way, they can cultivate virtue, strengthen neighborliness, and protect small businesses. Most importantly, they can help promote prayer and peace—now, when America needs them most.” [2]

Personally I think that should be up to individuals to decide, and not a government or church.

I don’t think it id the best idea. That said it’s no more oppressive than many laws now on the books.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

Oh, I'm sure such laws would be just dandy in a wee village of 60-odd souls, some cattle, pigs and an odd number of chickens.

In the cities, however, it's a bizarre situation to have the parks and swimming pools empty on the "proper" working days and piled 6 deep on Sundays.

This is just more religious people saying "the world would be better if everybody were like me, because I am the perfect model for humanity."

Bloody twaddle! And arrogant, opinionated twaddle, at that.

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
Can we get UBI while we're at it, too? To make up for lost wages with all those days off? We should have more money coming in from the taxation of the newly legal and regulated drugs.
Personal AI-controlled manufacturing units would solve a lot of problems.

wellwisher

The blue laws used to be there for the needs of the workers and their families. Big business was all about money and production. The Blue laws gave everyone an excuse not to work and not lose your job. Business accepted it because it made for better workers, the rest of the week. The Priests lobbied and got help for the needs of the workers.

The blue Laws were similar to the Jewish Sabbath, but not quite as strict in terms of what you can and cannot do. The idea was the human body, mind and heart, needs a day of rest each week to recharge your batteries. A consistent and scheduled day of rest, makes it easier to maintain the long game for both family and life. It was similar to the young person working for the weekend. They too could use a day of rest after working and partying that other six days.

The blue laws started to erode when neighboring states would allow some stores to open in Sunday. It began with essential services; basic food items. Shopping was not in violation of blue laws, but rather, being forced to work on Sunday; essential services, was the beginning of the end of the blue laws. These stores did well and the Chamber of Commerces, elsewhere, eventually got the same loopholes in other states. Who needs a day of rest anyway when there is money to make from the relaxing shoppers.

The best thing about blue laws was it was not done by government. It was not against the law per se, but rather it was based on a gentlemen agreement enforced like in a union shop.

PureX

Veteran Member
That's the thing, the Blue Laws did not only benefit the religious, but they also gave a respite from being hounded by credit collectors etc. More time for family since stores closed on Sunday's.
I am old enough to remember when stores closed at 6pm except on Wed, they were open 'till 9pm.
We managed to survive quite well. Even now with the 'Black Friday' sales following Thanksgiving, some open in the afternoon or early evening. Here in Massachusetts, they are not allowed to open 'till midnight. For the most part its really a personal choice. Although I must admit that there are times when I'm glad liquor stores are now allowed to open on Sunday's.
But greed never sleeps. And we live in a land built on and controlled by greed. So such archaic rules and practices cannot be allowed to interrupt the flow of the Big Money Pump. The billionaires still don't have enough, yet. So we all have to sacrifice and keep working and spending as much as we can!

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Personal AI-controlled manufacturing units would solve a lot of problems.
As long as they are seen as beneficial enough to cover UBI.

Problem is the worth goes to the ai and the human is devalued to 0.

I would think CEOs and their boards will never ever support UBI unless it gets to a point where there is no purchasing power anymore by an individual.

Twilight Hue

But greed never sleeps. And we live in a land built on and controlled by greed. So such archaic rules and practices cannot be allowed to interrupt the flow of the Big Money Pump. The billionaires still don't have enough, yet. So we all have to sacrifice and keep working and spending as much as we can!
The removal of the billionaire tax is proof of that.

It's no surprise whatsoever they went ahead and did that and it's no small assessment that it will fall on the middle class and poor.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The blue laws used to be there for the needs of the workers and their families. Big business was all about money and production. The Blue laws gave everyone an excuse not to work and not lose your job. Business accepted it because it made for better workers, the rest of the week. The Priests lobbied and got help for the needs of the workers.

The blue Laws were similar to the Jewish Sabbath, but not quite as strict in terms of what you can and cannot do. The idea was the human body, mind and heart, needs a day of rest each week to recharge your batteries. A consistent and scheduled day of rest, makes it easier to maintain the long game for both family and life. It was similar to the young person working for the weekend. They too could use a day of rest after working and partying that other six days.

The blue laws started to erode when neighboring states would allow some stores to open in Sunday. It began with essential services; basic food items. Shopping was not in violation of blue laws, but rather, being forced to work on Sunday; essential services, was the beginning of the end of the blue laws. These stores did well and the Chamber of Commerces, elsewhere, eventually got the same loopholes in other states. Who needs a day of rest anyway when there is money to make from the relaxing shoppers.

The best thing about blue laws was it was not done by government. It was not against the law per se, but rather it was based on a gentlemen agreement enforced like in a union shop.
The one utterly simple thing that everybody seems to miss is this: in a crowded world, it is hardly necessary that everybody have the same days off -- that only serves to seriously overcrowd recreational facilities.

You'd spread things out a lot if about 1/7th of work weeks was Monday to Friday, another 7th from Tuesday to Saturday, etc. And religious days don't bother me a bit -- in Canada, only 23 % of people go to church or religious services. You could easily deal with that ignoring my first suggestions (7ths) and have 4 different work-weeks. Thus, individuals who worship and Friday's can self-select a work-week that doesn't include Friday, etc. (In Ontario, we really started getting Sunday shopping in part because our Jewish community worked Monday to Friday, worshipped on Saturday, and were unable to shop on Sunday.)

Brickjectivity

Staff member
Premium Member
As long as they are seen as beneficial enough to cover UBI.

Problem is the worth goes to the ai and the human is devalued to 0.

I would think CEOs and their boards will never ever support UBI unless it gets to a point where there is no purchasing power anymore by an individual.
Work results in a product. UBI does not. That is income vs UBI. You're going to need something that people want to purchase, or the money is not accomplishing anything and will not cycle, not encourage more business and investment, not keep farmers farming, not keep doctors studying. So UBI by itself is Ok if people are also working, but if nobody is working it is not enough by itself. Therefore it has to be just enough to live on, not enough to be content. It should save you from dying but not give you investment money. This means another thing -- that land prices are too high and also rents are too high for UBI to work. The most expensive thing in the life of a consumer is rent. If UBI covers that its so much money that they may as well buy Alphabet or Microsoft stock instead and live in a cardboard box. But they're going to wind up doing that anyway, because rents and land will never come down enough for someone on UBI to live.

Didn't Israel solve this problem already by using communes? I should read something about it. Its probably not that cut & dried.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member

How would everyone feel about Wednesdays being the day of compulsory rest?

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Yes, it should be up to individuals. I think we are seeing a shift to companies being open and Saturdays and closing on Mondays. Saturday is day for people to shop, so it seemed practical. Sundays are a good day to shop too, so I foresee maybe being closed on Mondays and Tuesdays or something like that.