• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Important Questionnaire #28: RF Rule 10

Please See OP Before Responding to Poll

• I strongly agree with the statement.

Votes: 6 30.0%
  • I somewhat agree with the statement.

Votes: 10 50.0%
  • I neither agree nor disagree with the statement.

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • I somewhat disagree with the statement.

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • I strongly disagree with the statement.

Votes: 1 5.0%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This questionnaire is important to me: I am gathering member feedback to help me make better policy decisions. Please help out by responding to it.

RF Rule 10 reads in its entirety:

10. Debating in Non-debate Forums or Posting in DIR/ONLY Forums
Religious forums is structured to provide spaces for many different kinds of conversations. Different kinds of conversations belong in different areas of the forum:

1) Debates should be kept to the debate areas of the forums, including Religious Debates, General Debates, and Political Debates. Debating anywhere other than these forums may result in moderation. Same Faith Debates is governed by special rules described here. Only members of the specified groups(s) can participate in these threads.

2) All DIR (Discuss Individual Religions) forums are for the use of members who identify with those groups or practices. Debating is not permitted in DIRs; debates between members of specified groups should be posted in Same Faith Debates. A member may select up to a maximum of three (3) DIRs with which they identify. A member may change their selection of DIRs at any time, but the total number of DIRs selected must never exceed three (3). Members who do not identify with a DIR group may only post respectful questions; we recommend creating a thread in the Religions Q&A instead where there is more freedom to comment. DIR forums are not to be used as a cover to bash others outside of the DIR group.

3) The Political World forum has several "only" subforums that are for the use of members who identify with those political leanings. Members who do not identify with those political leanings are not allowed to post there.
Private Forums
These are strictly for members of the indicated group. People other than members of the indicated group are prohibited. For example, to be a member of the Catholic group, you must be a Catholic. To Join a group, click on your username at the top right corner of the screen, click on "Join User Groups," and select the group you would like to join by clicking on the "Join User Group" button. Requests to join user groups must be approved by a member of the staff.

These rules cover most common situations, but they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently, we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.

How strongly do you agree or disagree with this statement: "Overall, RF Rule 10 is reasonable."

Please pick which one of these five options is closest to your views. If you do not see an option that suits you, please accept this poll was not designed for you, and move on.

OPTION ONE: I strongly agree with the statement.

OPTION TWO: I somewhat agree with the statement.

OPTION THREE: I neither agree nor disagree with the statement.

OPTION FOUR: I somewhat disagree with the statement.

OPTION FIVE: I strongly disagree with the statement.

Altfish

Veteran Member
My only problem is that I tend to 'discover' thread by the "New Threads" list and it isn't always obvious which category the post is in.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
The only challenge I've come up against is the fake debate. Sometimes it seems obvious that someone will post something in a debate forum, and their intention isn't to have a debate at all, but just use it as a setup for subtle or not so subtle proselytising. It might be beneficial (maybe it's been done already, and I'm just ignorant of it) to have a clear definition for the forum of just what it is that entails a debate. Then when these 'suspicions' get aroused, we can all refer to that. Then perhaps we'll get rid of the 'What is it you wish to debate?" question.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If you have moderators who understand a specific religion then you can allow debate about it in its Dir. Otherwise you can't correctly determine who is a fake and who is representative, and you will have people who pretend in an anonymous forum such as this or who don't intentionally mean to misrepresent but don't fit.

I agree with something Salixcendium posted that Religious Q&A should handle all inquires by non-Dir members.

That makes 2 points where I find the Dir rule neither reasonable nor unreasonable, so I vote neither.

Also Dir confuses many new members since its not got good software support. The partial software support confuses more than it helps. Somebody joins the Christianity Dir and suddenly has access to the Islam Dir, and some new thread appears in the Queue that is in the Islam Dir but doesn't say so. Then they write a beautiful post spending 30 minutes on it only to find out that it has to be removed! Its confusing.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't get "Join User Groups", not listed under my user name in both landscape and portrait formats.

A more clear definition of what can and cannot occur in the different sections.

And (this is personal to me, maybe others) i often miss the navigation menu that indicates where a thread is.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
If I post something wrong, then slap me or something.

I'm way too old for checking those incremented positional directions !

Soooo...If I'm bad.....

exchemist

Veteran Member
This questionnaire is important to me: I am gathering member feedback to help me make better policy decisions. Please help out by responding to it.

Religious forums is structured to provide spaces for many different kinds of conversations. Different kinds of conversations belong in different areas of the forum:

1) Debates should be kept to the debate areas of the forums, including Religious Debates, General Debates, and Political Debates. Debating anywhere other than these forums may result in moderation. Same Faith Debates is governed by special rules described here. Only members of the specified groups(s) can participate in these threads.

2) All DIR (Discuss Individual Religions) forums are for the use of members who identify with those groups or practices. Debating is not permitted in DIRs; debates between members of specified groups should be posted in Same Faith Debates. A member may select up to a maximum of three (3) DIRs with which they identify. A member may change their selection of DIRs at any time, but the total number of DIRs selected must never exceed three (3). Members who do not identify with a DIR group may only post respectful questions; we recommend creating a thread in the Religions Q&A instead where there is more freedom to comment. DIR forums are not to be used as a cover to bash others outside of the DIR group.

3) The Political World forum has several "only" subforums that are for the use of members who identify with those political leanings. Members who do not identify with those political leanings are not allowed to post there.
Private Forums
These are strictly for members of the indicated group. People other than members of the indicated group are prohibited. For example, to be a member of the Catholic group, you must be a Catholic. To Join a group, click on your username at the top right corner of the screen, click on "Join User Groups," and select the group you would like to join by clicking on the "Join User Group" button. Requests to join user groups must be approved by a member of the staff.

These rules cover most common situations, but they cannot anticipate everything. Consequently, we reserve the right to take any actions we deem appropriate to ensure these forums are not disrupted or abused in any way.

How strongly do you agree or disagree with this statement: "Overall, RF Rule 10 is reasonable."

Please pick which one of these five options is closest to your views. If you do not see an option that suits you, please accept this poll was not designed for you, and move on.

There is just one point I would query. It seems to me the political world categories are rather hard to make work. It is unclear who decides what the political leanings of a member are, or on what basis. Many people are not "tribal" in their political views, in that they have not bought a complete package of opinions. And the balance point between what is conservative or progressive will be in different places in different countries. I'm not even sure that I like the notion that a member has to sign up to one or other of these crude labels in order to post in these sections.

The rest of it seems workable to me, however.

exchemist

Veteran Member
If you have moderators who understand a specific religion then you can allow debate about it in its Dir. Otherwise you can't correctly determine who is a fake and who is representative, and you will have people who pretend in an anonymous forum such as this or who don't intentionally mean to misrepresent but don't fit.

I agree with something Salixcendium posted that Religious Q&A should handle all inquires by non-Dir members.

That makes 2 points where I find the Dir rule neither reasonable nor unreasonable, so I vote neither.

Also Dir confuses many new members since its not got good software support. The partial software support confuses more than it helps. Somebody joins the Christianity Dir and suddenly has access to the Islam Dir, and some new thread appears in the Queue that is in the Islam Dir but doesn't say so. Then they write a beautiful post spending 30 minutes on it only to find out that it has to be removed! Its confusing.
Yes, I think it might be a good idea if the DIR posts somehow advertised the fact, to stop people blundering into a forum they are not supposed to post in. I've certainly done this several times and I've seen others do it.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I don't get "Join User Groups", not listed under my user name in both landscape and portrait formats.

A more clear definition of what can and cannot occur in the different sections.

And (this is personal to me, maybe others) i often miss the navigation menu that indicates where a thread is.
I just checked and I don't either. Either the instructions or the software (or both) are broken.

ChristineM

Premium Member
Yes, I think it might be a good idea if the DIR posts somehow advertised the fact, to stop people blundering into a forum they are not supposed to post in. I've certainly done this several times and I've seen others do it.

I am unable to post in DIRs that i have not signed up to.

The menu (Tools - Quote - Reply) under each post is reduced to Tools with no Reply or Quote option.

The Tools option only has Report in the drop down.

I see posts about non DIR members replying to a DIR and think... how???

ChristineM

Premium Member
I just checked and I don't either. Either the instructions or the software (or both) are broken.

I read the OP and had great difficulty trying to remember how i joined the Eros forum. Remembering i found an normal thread with details of the forum, i replied to that requesting a door key ;-)

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
I'm in the 'mud school of thought. I don't really agree with the concept at all. DIRs? Nah.
Debate or discuss? Nah.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I largely agree. Except my political “identity” is quite wobbly. Maybe due to cross country barriers. Mostly due to my own political ignorance.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member

The sub-DIR's are the most vulnerable to abuse from other sub-DIR's within the same DIR, and the current system really does nothing to protect against this.

Heyo

Veteran Member

Private Forums

I mostly agree with rule #10.
I usually stay away from DIR/Only discussions. Only time I broke that rule (and possibly will do so again) is when the DIR/Only discussion is used to talk about me behind my back. E.g. there were instances when OPs appeared about anarchism in the communism only section. I posted (with the permission of the OP) and I wasn't kicked out.
So, no complaint here. Just a suggestion to include that option into the rules.

Anarchocommunism
This one started in communists only and was moved later:
Anarchism vs communism