• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Important Questionnaire #15: Forthcoming and Honest

Please See OP Before Responding to Poll

• I strongly agree with the statement.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I somewhat agree with the statement.

Votes: 8 20.5%
  • I neither agree nor disagree with the statement.

Votes: 22 56.4%
  • I somewhat disagree with the statement.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I strongly disagree with the statement.

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This questionnaire is important to me: I am gathering member feedback to help me make better policy decisions. Please help out by responding to it.

How strongly do you agree or disagree with this statement: "In general, people are more forthcoming and honest about their views in debate threads than in discussion threads."

Please pick which one of these five options is closest to your views. If you do not see an option that suits you, please accept this poll was not designed for you, and move on.

OPTION ONE: I very strongly agree with the statement.

OPTION TWO: I somewhat agree with the statement.

OPTION THREE: I neither agree nor disagree with the statement.

OPTION FOUR: I somewhat disagree with the statement.

OPTION FIVE: I strongly disagree with the statement

Thief

Rogue Theologian
option three......that's close to
none of the above

maybe you've noticed?
some people argue just for the sake of having the last post

and in discussion
the give and take is limited by the rule......no direct objection
so then the truth might not surface

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not sure it's so much about how forthcoming or honest people are about their own views in debate vs. discussion threads. It's my experience that people in discussion threads are more focused on their own views whereas people in debate threads are more focused on the views of others.

I think integrity or lack thereof is a pretty constant character trait regardless of venue.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
This questionnaire is important to me: I am gathering member feedback to help me make better policy decisions. Please help out by responding to it.

How strongly do you agree or disagree with this statement: "In general, people are more forthcoming and honest about their views in debate threads than in discussion threads."

Please pick which one of these five options is closest to your views. If you do not see an option that suits you, please accept this poll was not designed for you, and move on.

I have no idea

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

I selected option five. I think there's a greater tendency towards posturing in debates, which may be a barrier to being forthcoming and honest. People wouldn't want to admit to something they think could be used against them, or they may not want to show weakness.

If it's a more relaxed discussion where people are just chatting without anything to prove, then you're more likely to see people being honest and forthcoming.

EDIT: However, some people might use certain tactics in a debate in order to deliberately get their opponent angry, which may cause them to blurt out something stupid that they wouldn't have said if they remained calm, cool, and collected.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
i can't agree/disagree until i see the OP for the thread; whether discussion/debate.

if a discussion is an affirmation of the OP, then I can't understand the reinforcing of a falsehood in a discussion. Like re-affirming that a person should take Hydroxychloroquine because the president is.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Option 4.
I mean, there are debates and there are debates, but in a classical debate I might actually be arguing the case for a point I don't agree with at all.

I've wondered more than once how I'd argue the case for theism. It's an interesting mental exercise.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

As I said before debate is a sport or game for me. Sometimes I take the side I oppose just to challenge myself. If I can't defend what I oppose than I really don't understand it. I may also post something I don't agree with that supports my claim to see how the other person reacts. Debate is also a test bed for my learning. The challenge to win inspires everyone to work a little harder.

Terry Sampson

in a classical debate I might actually be arguing the case for a point I don't agree with at all.
I know that members of the debate teams, in High School, were required to do that on occasion, but I've never "seen" it done and, like you, I'd find that difficult. [Note: I've never been on a debate team.]

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
giphy.gif

Heyo

Veteran Member
Neither/nor again. I don't think the format has any influence on the honesty of the participants.
(As an idea for future questionnaires: I think there are influences on productivity (the chance to come to a conclusion) and the consistency (chance to go on a tangent).

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The tactics (words) might change but I don't see any real difference in intent or amount of disclosure

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
For me, it often seems that unless the debate is "formal" in nature, people tend to treat both discussion and debate in about the same way. The real difference is that people who really want to debate an issue in a discussion thread will simply avoid it, rather than get in trouble -- thus there will simply be a potential debate that doesn't happen.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I know that members of the debate teams, in High School, were required to do that on occasion, but I've never "seen" it done and, like you, I'd find that difficult. [Note: I've never been on a debate team.]

I got my primary school kids to do it back when I was a teacher.
It's pretty interesting, once they get past their initial 'but I don't actually think that' commentary (which can last quite a while with some kids...!)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I think that when it comes right down to it, most people hardly make a differentiation between the two (i.e. debate and discussion).

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I think that when it comes right down to it, most people hardly make a differentiation between the two (i.e. debate and discussion).

I'm hesitant to express my agreement with people because it almost always turns out I misunderstood them when I do... but, I agree, if other people are like me. Right now, I see the biggest difference between debate and discussion as far as here goes, is just the hard lines imposed by policy. There are more natural ways of creating fine lines between the two, but to be honest, doing so takes tons of work, so I'm not certain it'd be beneficial to even ponder some of my ideas, which are pretty much that to create truely natural lines, one has to work to make debates more formal, and that can sometimes indirectly involve also changing features like the direction and format of the boards.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm hesitant to express my agreement with people because it almost always turns out I misunderstood them when I do... but, I agree, if other people are like me. Right now, I see the biggest difference between debate and discussion as far as here goes, is just the hard lines imposed by policy. There are more natural ways of creating fine lines between the two, but to be honest, doing so takes tons of work, so I'm not certain it'd be beneficial to even ponder some of my ideas, which are pretty much that to create truely natural lines, one has to work to make debates more formal, and that can sometimes indirectly involve also changing features like the direction and format of the boards.
Basically, I feel as if "discuss" and "debate" just differ in tone. You discuss nicely, you debate not so nicely. :D Of course, people should be able to debate nicely, but most don't. To me, discussing something is saying, "Here's how I feel about that." Debating is saying, "Here's how I feel about that and if you feel differently, you're wrong."