• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Important Questionnaire #14: The Difference Between a Debate and a Discussion

Please See OP Before Responding to Poll

• I very strongly agree with the statement.

Votes: 6 20.7%
  • I somewhat agree with the statement.

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • I neither agree nor disagree with the statement.

Votes: 1 3.4%
  • I somewhat disagree with the statement.

Votes: 14 48.3%
  • I strongly disagree with the statement.

Votes: 3 10.3%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This questionnaire is important to me: I am gathering member feedback to help me make better policy decisions. Please help out by responding to it.

How strongly do you agree or disagree with this statement: "I both know and understand the difference between a debate and a discussion according to RF's rules and policies."

Please pick which one of these five options is closest to your views. If you do not see an option that suits you, please accept this poll was not designed for you, and move on.

OPTION ONE: I very strongly agree with the statement.

OPTION TWO: I somewhat agree with the statement.

OPTION THREE: I neither agree nor disagree with the statement.

OPTION FOUR: I somewhat disagree with the statement.

OPTION FIVE: I strongly disagree with the statement.

Harel13

Am Yisrael Chai
Staff member
Premium Member
I chose 4. I thought I did, but now you've caused me to doubt myself...:p

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
I have never fully understood the difference. Its clear that the dir's are strictly enforced but typically I just stay away from discussion for fear of reprimand. I may post one thing and then leave and with debate it seems at times arbitrary on how violations are enforced. A lot of that is probably because moderation is being started by users and each user has different criteria.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
I don't really understand the difference other than no weapons are allowed in either.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I've always thought it to be an unclear difference the way it is stated, which creates an unsure step in discussion threads which makes posters hesitant to actually discuss things where they have differences of opinion. Some people will read that as a discussion means "no disagreements" to anything that is said, no challenges, no negative feedback.

A debate on the other hand is not a discussion where you try to understand the differences and have a discussion about them, but about proving the other person wrong and winning the argument. While that can be a good exercise in logic and argument skills, it does not have the goal of understanding and learning from others as the purpose. It has winning the debate as the goal. A good debater, can take either side of an argument and make their case to win it.

On RF, what we call debate threads and what we call discussion threads really run across each other. Most debate threads, are actually just discussions about differences, and not about trying to win for the sake of argument. If we want to have an actual debate thread, then perhaps it should be a more formalized debate which follows the rules of debate itself.

If what you want to make a distinction between is "respectful civil discussion", verses a non-holds barred let your opinions fly like you've had one or two too many at the bar, then create a 'lion's den' sort of a venue where civil discourse rules are relaxed. There "winning" at all cost is allowed. Expect bloody noses from time to time if you venture in on a busy night.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
On the subject of debates, I just noticed in the General Debates section that there's a sub-section for "Team Debates," which has zero posts in it. That sounds like it might be interesting.

We could form teams.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
On the subject of debates, I just noticed in the General Debates section that there's a sub-section for "Team Debates," which has zero posts in it. That sounds like it might be interesting.

We could form teams.

Can i be on your team ?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
while I do know the difference. in real life, discussions often sail very close to debates on these forums.
Disappearing posts, indicate that the staff patrol that line with nooses.

Heyo

Veteran Member
While I think that I understand the difference, I didn't pay much attention before the current discussion. I try now to have a look at the section under which an OP was posted but it will take time to not spontaneously answer.