• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Important Questionnaire #12: Getting at the Truth

Please See OP Before Responding to Poll

• I very strongly agree with the statement.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • I somewhat agree with the statement.

Votes: 4 11.1%
  • I neither agree nor disagree with the statement.

Votes: 14 38.9%
  • I somewhat disagree with the statement.

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • I strongly disagree with the statement.

Votes: 6 16.7%

• Total voters

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
This questionnaire is important to me: I am gathering member feedback to help me make better policy decisions. Please help out by responding to it.

How strongly do you agree or disagree with this statement: "Debates are more useful than discussions when it comes to getting at the truth."

Please pick which one of these five options is closest to your views. If you do not see an option that suits you, please accept this poll was not designed for you, and move on.

OPTION ONE: I very strongly agree with the statement.

OPTION TWO: I somewhat agree with the statement.

OPTION THREE: I neither agree nor disagree with the statement.

OPTION FOUR: I somewhat disagree with the statement.

OPTION FIVE: I strongly disagree with the statement.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

even though we have 'debate' threads, I don't think we often have anything resembling real debates...just rhetorical attacks and counterattacks...doesn't seem to improve things for anyone...

In discussions, there's at least a chance that someone will learn something...

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Both are useless in getting the truth. The contestants don't change their positions, Thy are in the business of proving the other wrong. Calling it debate or discussion, it hardly matters.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Both are useless in getting the truth. The contestants don't change their positions, Thy are in the business of proving the other wrong. Calling it debate or discussion, it hardly matters.
Actually some debates on here have changed my mind but gradually. Don't expect it to happen overnight.

Last edited:

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
What is 'Truth'?
That which is factual. I'm tired of relativist claptrap. Either something is true or it's not. I don't really know why people struggle with this. I think moderns like to use 'truth' really meaning something more akin to one's deeply held beliefs. I think this is absurd.

Just my little rant.

Altfish

Veteran Member
That which is factual. I'm tired of relativist claptrap. Either something is true or it's not. I don't really know why people struggle with this. I think moderns like to use 'truth' really meaning something more akin to one's deeply held beliefs. I think this is absurd.

Just my little rant.
OK, 2+2 =4 is true

But when you get onto stuff like (say) "What is the best album by The Beatles?" - it is all subjective.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
This questionnaire is important to me: I am gathering member feedback to help me make better policy decisions. Please help out by responding to it.

How strongly do you agree or disagree with this statement: "Debates are more useful than discussions when it comes to getting at the truth."

Please pick which one of these five options is closest to your views. If you do not see an option that suits you, please accept this poll was not designed for you, and move on.

Depends on the nature of the people involved. Debate is more about who is good at arguing rather than finding truth. Discussion helps us understand each others viewpoints and it might get us to the truth about the person we are chatting with.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
OK, 2+2 =4 is true

But when you get onto stuff like (say) "What is the best album by The Beatles?" - it is all subjective.
Yes and what is subjective is not true.

True = The Beatles were a musical band.

Not true = The Beatles made the best music.

The 2nd is a subjective opinion and there is no such thing as a true opinion as once an opinion is true it is no longer an opinion but a fact.

Altfish

Veteran Member
Yes and what is subjective is not true.

True = The Beatles were a musical band.

Not true = The Beatles made the best music.

The 2nd is a subjective opinion and there is no such thing as a true opinion as once an opinion is true it is no longer an opinion but a fact.
Thus, there is not a lot that can be discussed if the aim is to get to the 'truth'

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
#4 for me.
Understanding the other side is more important than establishing facts.
Now don't get me wrong....facts are useful. "Truth" less so.
But it's how they're chosen & incorporated into a weltanschauung
(ie, worldview...a general perspective) that matters.
People so often think they have the truth.
What they really have is opinions based upon this worldview.
They need to understand the perspective of others because it often
has merit. This fosters more civility, tolerance, & understanding.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
I think in today's context, discussions are better. It gives it a hue of "I'm interested in learning". Whereas debate tends to be a "one up on you" format.

But that just may be my perspective.

Yazata

Option four for me. Though I'll say at the outset that the goal in most debate/discussion isn't really reaching the truth (lots of philosophical problems arise around truth and how to recognize it) so much as it's reaching agreement among the disputants.

It seems to me that ideally, the goal in both discussion and debate should be persuasion. Otherwise its just wanking-off.

The problem with debate is that emotionally, it's adversarial. Agreeing with one's opponent somehow turns into a defeat. People really hate to feel like they are grovelling, especially before people that they really don't like. So people will just harden in their position and will be even less likely to budge from it, no matter how good the opposing arguments might be. Anger replaces consensus.

I much prefer a style of rhetoric in which people simply state what their own position is (however tentative that position might be) and some of their reasons for holding it -- 1, 2, 3, 4... etc., as persuasively as they can. Insults, put-downs and caricatures are always counter-productive.

The goal shouldn't be to shred the other person or their deepest concerns, but rather to convince them that your own position is a good one that might better address those concerns. Don't put the other person in a position where they fear losing face by agreeing with you.

Last edited: