• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Important Questionnaire #11: Adding Two New Ratings

Please See OP Before Responding to Poll

• Yes, I want to add an "Agree" and an "Interesting" rating.

Votes: 14 43.8%
  • It does not matter to me whether or not the two new ratings are added.

Votes: 12 37.5%
  • No, I do not want to add an "Agree" and an "Interesting" rating.

Votes: 6 18.8%

• Total voters

Terry Sampson

And I think most of us actually like the feeling of having our views supported by others.
I agree, but ...
People want the opportunity to respond, but not everybody is comfortable expressing themselves in their own words.
Let them eat cake.
Look on the bright side: At least one RF poster could take a break from denouncing "icon responses" and I'd cease getting the "in your dreams" 'Optimistic' icon.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I voted yes...

BUT...I'd also like an 'ew' or 'ugh' as has been discussed elsewhere...

The situation I find myself in most often where I find the current selection inadequate is where someone has done a good job of responding to my post, even though it may be clear that there's not much need for further discussion...an 'agree to disagree' sort of situation...traditionally I give it a like, and it's not a funny, winner, informative, or etc.

An interesting rating might be a better fit for that...

Agree will likely replace a lot of my likes...or they're interchangeable...

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I kind of like the idea of more nuanced choices. While like seems like agree, that's not necessarily why like is always used. (interesting sentence) I can like a post because I appreciate the response, while not necessarily saying I agree. Informative is a little different than Interesting, and I think that might be more appropriate than informative at times.

taykair

At my site, we have the following:

Dislike
Agree
Disagree
Funny
Sad
Winner
Informative
Love
Useful
Optimistic
Creative
Old
Bad Spelling
Dumb

Of course, at my site, none of this makes any difference, since there are so few members, and the members we do have seldom use them.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I'm not sure exactly what the difference would be between "interesting" and "informative."

taykair

I'm not sure exactly what the difference would be between "interesting" and "informative."

"Interesting" is what people say when they are not really all that interested, but don't want to be rude.

"Oh, so you collect old hubcaps? How interesting!"

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
"Interesting" is what people say when they are not really all that interested, but don't want to be rude.

"Oh, so you collect old hubcaps? How interesting!"
Yeah, maybe, but if I didn't find someone's comment truly "interesting," I wouldn't give it a "like" at all. I'd just ignore it. To me, "interesting" is something you'd say when something said something you'd never really considered before. So I guess it would be different from "informative" -- but similar. Like, "Oh, okay! I learned something new!"