• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Important notice about DIRs

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I love the DIR system, and I wish more people would use it when they start discussions that generally are only about one faith. For example, why is a bible discussion even placed in 'general religious debates'. Who needs a free for all? For anyone generally curious about any faith, there are lots of options.

Sometimes I wish it was extended to ideas like 'vegetarianism' or politics so that the pot shots about meat or the other party would desist.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I don't think the staff will go through each person's profile, though. I posted in a DIR because I had that affiliation, but since its not in my profile, I was warned. I honestly don't know they can do it, though. I mean, we have people that change their religion here all the time, so how would staff handle that?
It's an automatic thing. You check the box and you are granted permission. Or maybe they have to clear it, I don't remember, but they don't actually go through people's profiles. If you don't check the box for DIR access you don't have access to it (you cant even rate posts, which is unfortunate as I find many highly informative).

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
It's not really a think. It's known there are 33.
You can't go by the list on the members page. A lot of those staff members haven't even logged in and over a year.

My point was thst what you were proposing isn't realistic in terms of the manpower we have.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No advice needed.
My ability to offend is quite advanced.

But you need to spread the word. A few folks on an internet forum are the only ones benefiting, and you claimed it was for all of humanity. I'm utterly disappointed in your total lack of effort.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But you need to spread the word. A few folks on an internet forum are the only ones benefiting, and you claimed it was for all of humanity. I'm utterly disappointed in your total lack of effort.
This is but one of my many venues of offense giving.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
What of "more freedom to comment" is what we're wanting to get away from to not have our thread overrun with people who just want to hear their own voice and make it clear they don't care they weren't asked?

Edit: I mean you already have the option of putting "[fill in the blank] Only" in the title of any thread you post in religious q&a.

I'm not sure how we usually moderate those though, I'll have to check.

OK, I checked. If you create a thread in the q&a forum and indicate in the title that you're looking for replies from a specific group, posts from anyone outside of your target audience will be moderated as a rule 10 violation.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It's an automatic thing. You check the box and you are granted permission. Or maybe they have to clear it, I don't remember, but they don't actually go through people's profiles. If you don't check the box for DIR access you don't have access to it (you cant even rate posts, which is unfortunate as I find many highly informative).

Yeah. I "think" the OP is getting at some people are marking religious DIRs they are not affiliated with. I've noticed that, some pretty distinct breach of the rules. I do remember staff saying that even if someone was a former X, they can't post in a DIR with that religion just what they currently practice or hold as a worldview (however put).

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
This is but one of my many venues of offense giving.

Shucks, I didn't know. You have a title we can use in future? Your Royal Lowness? In real life, do people cross to the other side of the road when they see you? Do your neighbours have a wall?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
OK, I checked. If you create a thread in the q&a forum and indicate in the title that you're looking for replies from a specific group, posts from anyone outside of your target audience will be moderated as a rule 10 violation.
Then we're back to the original DIR and I assume eventually back to why they were sealed off to the outside world in the first place.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Yeah. I "think" the OP is getting at some people are marking religious DIRs they are not affiliated with. I've noticed that, some pretty distinct breach of the rules. I do remember staff saying that even if someone was a former X, they can't post in a DIR with that religion just what they currently practice or hold as a worldview (however put).

I saw that too. Next time I'll report it, and I may have already. I have practically no memory.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Shucks, I didn't know. You have a title we can use in future? Your Royal Lowness? In real life, do people cross to the other side of the road when they see you? Do your neighbours have a wall?
My neighbors have all fled.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
What if that person does not like being labeled.

I don't identify with any particular label either.

Know what I do? I stay out of the DIRS.

Know why?

Because they're mostly populated by people who identify with a particular label and who don't really want to share their space with anyone who doesn't identify with that label.

I guess you could say the DIRS are for people who don't mind labels.

I suppose we could create a DIR for people who don't like labels, but I'm not sure what we would call it.