• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Importance of work

danieldemol

Premium Member
"It is enjoined upon every one of you to engage in some form of occupation, such as crafts, trades and the like. We have graciously exalted your engagement in such work to the rank of worship unto God, the True One."

(Baha'u'llah, Tablets of Baha'u'llah, p. 26)

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
Work in the spirit of service to others exalted to the station of worship

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
There is always a balance in the Bahá'í Teachings and never extremes. Yes it is a law to work but 70 is considered old age and there is provision for people who are ill and disabled.

“All have been enjoined to earn a living, and as for those who are incapable of doing so, it is incumbent on the Deputies of God and on the wealthy to make adequate provision for them”

Excerpt From: Bahá’u’lláh. “The Kitab-i-Aqdas.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
This Baha'i Teaching is actually quite profound.

It shifts the emphasis of worship away from the confines of churches, temples, mosques, and synagogues to what we do to serve our communities. It is a shift from spendig time in monasteries and retreats to assisting those around us and the betterment of humanity. It is less words and more deeds.

Maybe I better stop posting on RF and go and do something!?:)

arthra

Baha'i
Thanks Daniel for sharing the Baha'i concept of work as worship... I believe there may be a similar principle in the Bhagavad Gita where Krishna tells Arjuna that he must perform his duty as an act of dedication.

Any way... I believe we also have a specific principle that can reduce the extremes of wealth and poverty ... and that is the principle of Profit Sharing where workers can have a vested interest in the company where they work:

Then rules and laws should be established to regulate the excessive fortunes of certain private individuals, and limit the misery of millions of the poor masses; thus a certain moderation would be obtained. However, absolute equality is just as impossible, for absolute equality in fortunes, honors, commerce, agriculture, industry, would end in a want of comfort, in discouragement, in disorganization of the means of existence, and in universal disappointment: the order of the community would be quite destroyed. Thus, there is a great wisdom in the fact that equality is not imposed by law: it is, therefore, preferable for moderation to do its work. The main point is, by means of laws and regulations to hinder the constitution of the excessive fortunes of certain individuals, and to protect the essential needs of the masses. For instance, the manufacturers and the industrials heap up a treasure each day, and the poor artisans do not gain their daily sustenance: that is the height of iniquity, and no just man can accept it. Therefore, laws and regulations should be established which would permit the workmen to receive from the factory owner their wages and a share in the fourth or the fifth part of the profits, according to the wants of the factory; or in some other way the body of workmen and the manufacturers should share equitably the profits and advantages.

~ Abdu'l-Baha, Baha'i World Faith - , p. 281