• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Implications for Soul Sleep.I think when you die you go right to heaven.

Frank Goad

[paste:font size="4"]14 But three passages make it quite clear that the soul is not unconscious until the resurrection:

"Today you will be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43)

"We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord." (2 Corinthians 5:8)

"I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far." (Philippians 1:23)

I got this stuff from right here: 2. This Day You Will Be with Me in Paradise (Luke 23:43) - Seven Last Words of Christ from the Cross

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
[paste:font size="4"]14 But three passages make it quite clear that the soul is not unconscious until the resurrection:

"We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord." (2 Corinthians 5:8)

"I am torn between the two: I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far." (Philippians 1:23)

I got this stuff from right here: 2. This Day You Will Be with Me in Paradise (Luke 23:43) - Seven Last Words of Christ from the Cross
I'll say "Maybe." Is that good enough?

I disagree with the article's reasoning about Luke 23. Luke 23:43 isn't even quoted properly, nor do they go into any discussion about how people have translated it. There are no commas in the original language. It merely says Today I say to you that you will be with me in paradise. The article simply moves things around dynamically to make it seem like Jesus is saying I say you will this day be with me in paradise. It is a trick to imply that is the only way to translate it. Its not.

Philippians and 2 Corinthians tend to support individual resurrection, however that does not mean all NT books do. I'm glad they're in the canon and that not all books in the canon perfectly and harmoniously agree. Goodness knows how much worse things would be if every book truly agreed with every other book. Nothing like a few disagreements to let us know that we are required to think.

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe Paradis is a different place from Heaven.

I believe Paul did not say it was his only option to be away from the body, just that it would be his preference.

I believe Paul believed He would have easier communication with Jesus if He were in the spirit and that may be true.

Muffled

Jesus in me
When you die, you go to Hades.

I believe that is a Greek myth. However translators using the Greek language used Hades to refer to the grave. Certainly the body goes into the grave usually. Some people like to be sprinkled over a vast body of water.

Bree

There is nothing better then to let the bible give the answer.

Acts 2:29 Men, brothers, it is permissible to speak with freeness of speech to you about the family head David, that he died and was buried,+ and his tomb is with us to this day. ...34 For David did not ascend to the heavens, but he himself says, ‘Jehovah said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand 35 until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet.”’+

Thats what Christians believed. Jesus apostles taught this. Jesus apostles learned from Jesus himself. The bible is truth 'Gods Word Is Truth' and this scripture is true
  • “But let God be found true, though every man be found a liar.”—Rom. 3:4.

Frank Goad

Acts 2:29 Men, brothers, it is permissible to speak with freeness of speech to you about the family head David, that he died and was buried,+ and his tomb is with us to this day. ...34 For David did not ascend to the heavens, but he himself says, ‘Jehovah said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand 35 until I place your enemies as a stool for your feet.”’+

Thats what Christians believed. Jesus apostles taught this. Jesus apostles learned from Jesus himself. The bible is truth 'Gods Word Is Truth' and this scripture is true

Good point.:)

wellwisher

I like the idea of going to Purgatory after death. Purgatory is like a half way house between Heaven and Hell, where we all go, right after death.

Like in sports, there is a constant draft, where the most righteous are like the first round draft picks for Heaven. Some will not be in Purgatory very long. Hell also has its own draft. Those who did the best evil and made the Devil proud will be chosen for his team. Some of the worse evil will leave Purgatory, quickly.

The rest of us who remain as later draft picks, move up or down line, based on those we left behind. If our family, friends and acquaintances think about us in good ways, over time; holidays and other times, you gain points and move up the line.

If you leave behind negative feelings of anger, pain and disgust this pull you back in the line. Over enough time, we all end up on team Heaven or Hell. Ghosts tend to stay in purgatory longer than most. They wait for their call, but the mixed feelings of those left behind keep them in line.

Bree

I like the idea of going to Purgatory after death. Purgatory is like a half way house between Heaven and Hell, where we all go, right after death.

Like in sports, there is a constant draft, where the most righteous are like the first round draft picks for Heaven. Some will not be in Purgatory very long. Hell also has its own draft. Those who did the best evil and made the Devil proud will be chosen for his team. Some of the worse evil will leave Purgatory, quickly.

The rest of us who remain as later draft picks, move up or down line, based on those we left behind. If our family, friends and acquaintances think about us in good ways, over time; holidays and other times, you gain points and move up the line.

If you leave behind negative feelings of anger, pain and disgust this pull you back in the line. Over enough time, we all end up on team Heaven or Hell. Ghosts tend to stay in purgatory longer than most. They wait for their call, but the mixed feelings of those left behind keep them in line.

may i ask what evidence you have for 'pergatory'

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe that works for where David didn't go but it does not say what his next destination would be or how long he would stay there.

Bree

I believe that works for where David didn't go but it does not say what his next destination would be or how long he would stay there.

I think the Bible does tell us what his next destination would be

“The hour is coming, and it is now, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who have given heed will live. . . . Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.”Joh 5:25-29

The belief of the first century jews and Christians was that a 'resurrection' was going to take place. Jesue reiterates that belief here when he says 'All those in the memorial tombs' and this no doubt would include King David who was still in his grave in the first century.

Frank Goad

Bree What was paul talking about?If he didn't believe we go right to heaven when we die?In the first two passages of Philippians 1:23 and 2 Corinthians 5:8?And why would Luke 23:43?Leave open the possibility that the thief went to paradise when he didn't?:):confused:

Muffled

Jesus in me
I think the Bible does tell us what his next destination would be

“The hour is coming, and it is now, when the dead will hear the voice of the Son of God and those who have given heed will live. . . . Do not marvel at this, because the hour is coming in which all those in the memorial tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who did good things to a resurrection of life, those who practiced vile things to a resurrection of judgment.”Joh 5:25-29

The belief of the first century jews and Christians was that a 'resurrection' was going to take place. Jesue reiterates that belief here when he says 'All those in the memorial tombs' and this no doubt would include King David who was still in his grave in the first century.

There is no evidence that David was still in his grave. Jesus did not name David in that passage so the idea that David is one of them is pure speculation.