• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Imperial v Metric System

Ultimatum

Classical Liberal
Why is the Imperial System still used?
It's complicated and doesn't make sense in today's world.

JU3gcvN.jpg

I could calculate the volume 1km x 1km x 1m container in liters mentally, whereas would find 1mi x 1mi x 1yd container in gallons.

Also:
Day:Month:Year = 1:2:3
Month:Day:Year = 2:1:3
Why would you do this?

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I don't think anyone would disagree that metric is more sensible, but imperial is deeply ingrained and accustomed to in U.S. culture. That's really the only reason.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I've worked for companies which tried to convert from imperial to metric.
They ended up switching back because it's easier to deal with here.
And can you imagine ordering anything other than a "pint" in a pub?

Skwim

Veteran Member
"Arbitrary retard rollercoaster?"

:facepalm:

What a pathetic and uncouth sentiment.
The Imperial System
250px-Imperialism_Coverart.png

made the USA the greatest nation
in the world by challenging us to
think outside the box.

What has the metric system done
for world advancement? I'll tell you.

0c9a55b1d87a2405fd852a5e380673ee.jpg

Laziness is not a virtue.

Skwim

Veteran Member
You're... you're not actually serious? ... right?
See! This is exactly what I'm talking about . You limeys have been so regimented in your thinking by the lack of challenge in your neat little metric system that you're unable to discern the difference between a tongue in cheek post and one that's dead-on serious.

And, it hasn't gone unnoticed that you don't have an answer of your own for my simple question , "What has the metric system done for world advancement? But I guess it's to your credit that you haven't because you recognize the truth of the one I provide: Zippo. Good move on your part.
icon14.gif

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Americans are notoriously insular and conservative. They'll cling to a thing long after it's usefulness is gone.
American's will adopt the IS only when they're forced to.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Americans are notoriously insular and conservative.
To our credit, thank you.

They'll cling to a thing long after it's usefulness is gone.
Which won't be until Armageddon has come and gone.

American's will adopt the IS only when they're forced to.
Like a gun to the back of the head.

Vinayaka said:
Of course the US is the greatest country in the world. Ask any American.
Yup. the truth will out. Not that it's that difficult to recognize.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Lumber was the worst to transition, and we're still in Imperial. Really hard to think outside of the two by four by 8 stuff.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
"Arbitrary retard rollercoaster?"

:facepalm:

What a pathetic and uncouth sentiment.
It's putting it lighter than I would. The scales are arbitrary, illogical, and unsound.

See! This is exactly what I'm talking about . You limeys have been so regimented in your thinking by the lack of challenge in your neat little metric system that you're unable to discern the difference between a tongue in cheek post and one that's dead-on serious.

And, it hasn't gone unnoticed that you don't have an answer of your own for my simple question , "What has the metric system done for world advancement? But I guess it's to your credit that you haven't because you recognize the truth of the one I provide: Zippo. Good move on your part.
icon14.gif
The metric system is much easier to work it, much easier to convert units, and units of 10 make since. The imperial system makes working on cars that much harder when you need one set of tools for one car, another set for a different car, and switch back forth for some cars.The funny thing is Americans are either terrified of math or they hate it, and yet the cling to a system that is mathematically harder instead of the more mathematically lazy one.
What has the imperial system brought us that came about solely because we used the imperial system and would not have came out had we been using the metric system?

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Skwim, I'm not objecting to the argument. I'm objecting to it's crude manner of presentation. There is no need at all to call another system of measurement "retarded." I prefer the metric system as well, but low-brow insults like that strike me as uncouth, pathetic, and entirely unnecessary. The argument might as well degenerate into "if you use this, you're a stupid ninny... nyah, nyah nyah!" It's beneath the intellect and sophistication of those who use the metric system to make their case using base insults. Isn't it? :sarcastic

Apex

Somewhere Around Nothing
Why is the Imperial System still used?
It's complicated and doesn't make sense in today's world.

I could calculate the volume 1km x 1km x 1m container in liters mentally, whereas would find 1mi x 1mi x 1yd container in gallons.

Also:
Day:Month:Year = 1:2:3
Month:Day:Year = 2:1:3
Why would you do this?

As an engineer, I despise using english units. But everyone in the US grows up thinking in terms of feet, miles, and lbs. And there really is nothing wrong with that since the majority of people don't have to do complicated computations where units have to all match up. That is where english units become frustrating.

Also, I do have a nit-pick with that picture. The Fahrenheit system is not an arbitrary scale for when water freezes. It was a little more complicated than that. But regardless, I argue that for weather purposes and every day usage, Fahrenheit is actually superior to Celsius.
hYdHu2f7