• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Impeachment

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Turns out McConnell has sent out a memo outlining what an impeachment trial will look like.
And in my "learned something for the day," it turns out theoretically a president can be impeached and banned from future offices after they've left office (so much for it can't happen fast enough).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b-b2e8-3339e73d9da2_story.html?outputType=amp
Can Trump be tried in the Senate on impeachment charges even after he leaves office? Some experts say yes.
Can the House Impeach a Former President?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
If the Court rules that a trial can go forward after a president leaves office, then for more than one reason, it becomes all but absolutely necessary that for the good of the country he be tried. At least tried.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
If the Court rules that a trial can go forward after a president leaves office, then for more than one reason, it becomes all but absolutely necessary that for the good of the country he be tried. At least tried.
It would give us a very clear picture of where Republicans stand, and I don't think they'd be able to do the same crap they did the last time.

PureX

Veteran Member
Remember when republicans were all about never, ever, EVER changing their minds about anything? How they accused any politician that changed their mind about anything of being wishy-washy, and two-faced, and indecisive? Trump hasn't changes his behavior or his focus at all. He's still 100% for and about Trump. And they were all lockstep behind him no matter what he said or did. They echoed his claims of a stolen election EVEN AFTER THE ASSAULT ON THE CAPITAL BUILDING. Yet now, suddenly, they're all calling for impeachment; for Trump doing exactly what they were doing just 24 hours ago.

That's a change of tune so big and fast that it gives us whiplash!

exchemist

Veteran Member
Turns out McConnell has sent out a memo outlining what an impeachment trial will look like.
And in my "learned something for the day," it turns out theoretically a president can be impeached and banned from future offices after they've left office (so much for it can't happen fast enough).

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...b-b2e8-3339e73d9da2_story.html?outputType=amp
Can Trump be tried in the Senate on impeachment charges even after he leaves office? Some experts say yes.
Can the House Impeach a Former President?
But I wonder if they can make this successful. Don't they need a 2/3 majority in the Senate? Has the penny fully dropped yet in the GOP that they need to disavow Trump and all his works as fast as they can? I'm not sure it has, yet.

I see risks in a second failed impeachment attempt. Trump will crow about it for years. They need to do some fast cross-party liaison and check the numbers before they launch this, surely?

exchemist

Veteran Member
I see disclosure.
Good point. Though my fear would be that all the evidence looks a bit equivocal, just as it was so hard to convict mafia bosses in the past. Trump walks a fine line in what he says, while leaving little doubt in the minds of his hearers of what he would like to see.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I prefer him being tried in courts of law, not a Senate where majority Republicans didn't even bother to hear evidence in their sham trial last time. I don't have faith in them to do the right thing this time either. "Fool me once" sort of thing.

I don't think we need the Senate to impeach him in order to prevent him from holding future federal offices. Simple criminal convictions on both state and possibly federal charges (possibly treason), should be enough to prevent that. Unless I'm mistaken that ex-convicts can run for POTUS?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I'm not sure impeachment is the best thing to do as it stands the chance of turning Trump into a living martyr. Instead, maybe it's just best to let him fade away into the sunset even if it takes a while for that to happen.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
But I wonder if they can make this successful. Don't they need a 2/3 majority in the Senate? Has the penny fully dropped yet in the GOP that they need to disavow Trump and all his works as fast as they can? I'm not sure it has, yet.

I see risks in a second failed impeachment attempt. Trump will crow about it for years. They need to do some fast cross-party liaison and check the numbers before they launch this, surely?
It's worth a try, if only for entertainment value.

pearl

I'm not sure impeachment is the best thing to do as it stands the chance of turning Trump into a living martyr. Instead, maybe it's just best to let him fade away into the sunset even if it takes a while for that to happen.

Can you honestly imagine Trump to 'fade away'? With who and what some of his followers have become? Who knows how far these have infiltrated into our so called safety barriers.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
I prefer him being tried in courts of law, not a Senate

All other things being equal, I agree. And if there's a double jeopardy rule in place for impeachment and court trial, I'd especially want a court trial.

But I also want to put the Senate republicans on the spot for, as @Revoltingest noted, the entertainment (and more) value.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Can you honestly imagine Trump to 'fade away'? With who and what some of his followers have become? Who knows how far these have infiltrated into our so called safety barriers.
I'm not sure one way or the other, but I will say that I personally know some who voted for Trump, including some extended family members, who are appalled at what they saw Wednesday and have said that it's time for him to go. Some even have gone as far as stating they made a mistake voting for him in the first place.

Altfish

Veteran Member
ErodxRrXMAAVFN6