• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

image of God

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I believe it does, in the instances where it refers to God, ie contextual; or, merely that as a Spirit form Being, He isn't limited by the physical limitations of say, man. Hence, as I believe, God is sometimes in form, and sometimes not, or both.
So, do you believe that Jesus was fully God?

Thief

Rogue Theologian
many christians view God as a bearded old man sitting on a mountain top or something. well, the christian God, the Father of the Holy Trinity, doesn't have a face. he is invisible. he doesn't look like a man,cause he isn't a man. he is divine ''fire''. men think that God is a man but that's only their imagination.
I believe in hierarchy
at the top of the list is the Almighty

the image you mention can only be ...spirit

so....we are reflections of the Spirit

and the manner that you reflect upon God
causes the image to form

I suspect....we keep our 'image' as if the body follows us after the last breath
it might be difficult to 'see' yourself without that 'form'

but I also suspect the possibility that we stand from the body to assume the 'image'
of what we truly are

some of us will.....scream

Reactions: syo

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Yes, the trinity , which is 'all God', maintains Jesus in Spirit form, in my Belief. Jesus is the creator aspect of God, Elohim, and hence why we find Him in Genesis.

While on earth, Jesus was manifested Lord, which is God.
Okay. Do you believe Jesus was physically resurrected from the dead? I'm kind of assuming you do, but I know some groups claiming to be Christian (i.e. the Jehovah's Witnesses and possibly others) say that He was just a spirit after the resurrection and that He didn't really have a resurrected body of flesh and bones as He told His Apostles was the case.

syo

We can surmise from your premise, that you don't believe Jesus to be God, since Jesus certainly has form. In fact, the form is an important part of 'who' Jesus is.
/If your argument is that Jesus , became formless after ascension, then what was the point of Jesus attaining a Spirit form?
Jesus is the Son. the fact he became human is the greatest gift god did for humanity.

syo

I'm curious... When Stephen was given a vision in which He saw into Heaven, how did he know that Jesus Christ (i.e. "the Son of Man") was standing on God's right-hand side if God was invisible?
the Father God is invisible in our mundane world. that's why the christian orthodox don't have a picture of him never.

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
many christians view God as a bearded old man sitting on a mountain top or something. well, the christian God, the Father of the Holy Trinity, doesn't have a face. he is invisible. he doesn't look like a man,cause he isn't a man. he is divine ''fire''. men think that God is a man but that's only their imagination.
Rabbi David A Cooper says that god is a process. personally i think of god as an action.

1307 What does it Mean that God is a Process I Call God-ing (mp3) (free)

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
Catholicism does not see christ as a man but incarnation of god.
No. Catholicism teaches that Christ is both God and man.

Incarnation in the flesh doesnt make him man; since, man has fallen from god and has sin. Christ doesnt have that hence why he is an incarnation not a man in his own right.
The creed explicitly states otherwise. Jesus shares in our humanity in every regard except sin. Since as God, Jesus could not possibly sin.

Catholicism teaches the trinity. So, jesus isnt man like us but man as only flesh as an incarnation of god. Man meaning person of flesh not man who has fallen from god.
Man means human being and Jesus is fully human. (Asserting anything less is heretical). Jesus shares in our humanity although we do not share in his divinity.

It would be more correct to say that Jesus isn't mere man.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
The whole post edited for brievity and clarity

No. Catholicism teaches that Christ is both God and man.

Jesus is not man to whom fell into inherited sin; he is only incarnate (aka flesh) of god.

The creed explicitly states otherwise. Jesus shares in our humanity in every regard except sin. Since as God, Jesus could not possibly sin.

Jesus shares his incarnated self with humanity/man who has fallen sin (you can't be the person you are sharing with)

Of course, the bible says Jesus did not sin; hence, why he is not man, just incarnate of god in flesh

Man means human being and Jesus is fully human. (Asserting anything less is heretical). Jesus shares in our humanity although we do not share in his divinity.

Fallen human being: jesus is not a fallen man

He is incarnate which means "in the flesh". This definition does not describe the nature of jesus only that he is an incarnation/flesh image of a god.

According to the bible, an incarnation is not the same as being god himself (unless you are relating it to Hinduism?? :confused::confused: That would be weird)

It would be more correct to say that Jesus isn't mere man.

Jesus is not part of humanity (he does not have a fallen nature; hence, he does not need to be saved)

He is an incarnation of god not god himself and definitely not human

For jesus to be exactly like us, he would need:

1. To have a fallen nature
2. To actually die
3. He cannot be incarnate; humans are not incarnations of god. Jesus was.
Big/huge/major difference.

4. He would not be a intermediary, no image, and no high prophet. He would be strictly human.

It is illogical to be an incarnation (image of, a prophet of, intermediary of) one's self. Incarnation of god does not make the incarnation a separate person. Hence why jesus shares in humanity not is humanity.

Jesus is a man by incarnation/flesh

The key is: he shares not he is.

As for mere, that's your words not mine. Its not hard nor mystic to understand it.

Last edited:

Faithofchristian

It's evidence that you have no idea who Christ Jesus is exactly.

Let's see in the book of Genesis 1:26--"And God said, Let's us make man in our image, after our likeness"

You say God doesn't look like a man, But yet God made man after his lmage and likeness,
It sounds like God looks like a man, seeing God made man after his image and likeness.

So how is it that you say God doesn't look like a man ?

Last edited:

syo

It's evidence that you have no idea who Christ Jesus is exactly.

Let's see in the book of Genesis 1:26--"And God said, Let's us make man in our image, after our likeness"

You say God doesn't look like a man, But yet God made man after his lmage and likeness,
It sounds like God looks like a man, seeing God made man after his image and likeness.

So how is it that you say God doesn't look like a man ?
i disagree.

InChrist

Free4ever
Huh? Who said that God is a man? Never heard that in any serious Christian context. God is Spirit, hmm you know... like Jesus is Spirit, that does not mean that God does not have an appearance as a man, again referenced via every being does in Scripture, including Jesus. Again, you must not consider Jesus as God, as well, since Jesus certainly has form.
I do consider that Jesus is God. Jesus took on the human form at the incarnation. Just saying that the eternal God is nothing like the caricature of an old bearded man in the sky.

Samantha Rinne

Resident Genderfluid Writer/Artist
I have a syncretic image of God. Trinitarian (Christianity), Dualist (Taoism, though I don't believe in Satan or Hell, I believe God allows evil to help us grow, and only human evil has the ability to be out of balance), Monistic (Judaism), and Animistic/Pantheistic (I believe God is everyone and everything).

tayla

My dog's name is Tayla
many christians view God as a bearded old man sitting on a mountain top or something.
I think most Christians think many passages of the Bible are allegorical or figurative and such. For example, that God has wings and feathers. (Psalms 91:4)

Truth in love

The Bible paints a pretty clear picture that God looks a lot like us.

I have seen God face to face, Gen. 32:30.
Moses … was afraid to look upon God, Ex. 3:6.
Lord will come down in the sight of all the people, Ex. 19:11.
charge the people, lest they break through unto the Lord to gaze, Ex. 19:21.
nobles of the children of Israel … saw God, Ex. 24:11.
Lord spake unto Moses face to face, Ex. 33:11.
With him will I speak mouth to mouth, Num. 12:8.
Moses, whom the Lord knew face to face, Deut. 34:10.
We shall surely die, because we have seen God, Judg. 13:22.
Lord … had appeared unto him twice, 1 Kgs. 11:9.
in my flesh shall I see God, Job 19:26
mine eyes have seen … the Lord, Isa. 6:5.
I see … the Son of man standing on the right hand, Acts 7:56.
holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord, Heb. 12:14.
we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is, 1 Jn. 3:2.
when I saw him, I fell at his feet as dead, Rev. 1:17.
they shall see his face, Rev. 22:4.

just saying.

If God the Father was invisible then prophet Ezekiel would not have recognised how He looked neither would Jesus. Moses got a glimpse into the being of God but from the back. God covered His face as He passed moses. Abraham saw God and 2 angels. Jacob wrestled with God. So God isnt invisible.

syo

If God the Father was invisible then prophet Ezekiel would not have recognised how He looked neither would Jesus. Moses got a glimpse into the being of God but from the back. God covered His face as He passed moses. Abraham saw God and 2 angels. Jacob wrestled with God. So God isnt invisible.
I mean, invisible to humans. The prophets you mentioned are mythical people.