• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Image of Christ

Pah

Uber all member
Ghanaians flock to see 'miracle'
By Kwaku Sakyi-Addo
BBC, Dansoman, Accra

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/3976161.stm

The image in the Grotto was first noticed on Saturday
Thousands of people in Ghana's capital, have been thronging to a Catholic Church where they claim the image of Jesus Christ has appeared on a wall.

They compare the image to that of the Biblical Virgin Mary who is said to have appeared at Lourdes, in France.

What they can see on one of the rough marble-stones inside a grotto in the church grounds is what looks like a human face the size of an adult's palm.

On Monday, the police had to be called in to prevent a stampede.

The image is more clearly discernible from afar than up close.

Miracle?

There are two candles flickering in front of the stone.

Some visitors to the grounds of the Margaret Mary Catholic Church at Dansoman, a suburb in the western part of Accra, reach out and touch the image, believing they will be blessed, or healed where doctors have failed.

Grotto
Police have had to help control the crowds
Others simply kneel and pray. Some visitors have come all the way from Kumasi, the second city, almost 300km away.

Reverend Father John Straathof, the Dutch Parish Priest, said a member of the congregation drew his attention to the image on Saturday.

As the story spread, the crowds grew.

But Father Straathof was cautious about drawing conclusions. "Yes, it does look like a face," he said, "but I don't want to conclude that it's a miracle.

"If people come and see it and they believe it, and it makes them pray, that's okay."

He said he hadn't seen it previously, but that didn't mean that the rock might have looked like that before Saturday.

'Potato chip'

Many visitors and members of Father Straathof's congregation were a lot less ambiguous, saying that this was an epiphany.

For some, it's a sign that the end of the world would come before the end of the year.

One woman, speaking in between Hail Marys, said Jesus had chosen to appear at Dansoman because it was an unassuming place, and that this was in tune with his teachings about modesty and humility.

Others doubted there was anything of spiritual significance here.

One man thought there was no way Christ would make an appearance at Dansoman. There were far too many drinking bars and sleazy joints here, he said.

A taxi driver put it down as a poor painting by a prankster.

Another said if you looked hard enough at anything you'll see faces in the clouds, in the grains of a wooden desk, a potato chip, or a marble-stone inside a church.

Runt

I look at that picture and I see a skull *shivers*. I definitely don't see Jesus, or anything remotely resembling Jesus. I think people are anxious to discover "miracles".

Lightkeeper

Is this a Rorschach test? I can't make out a face. Anyway, since we really don't know what Jesus looked like, it could just as well be Jessie Ventura.

robtex

Veteran Member
Lightkeeper said:
Is this a Rorschach test? I can't make out a face. Anyway, since we really don't know what Jesus looked like, it could just as well be Jessie Ventura.

that is funny. Ventura is an athiest

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Looks like a picture of a clown to me. Then again, I probably wouldn't know if I saw a potato chip or whatever that looked like Jesus.
Had a Social Research Methods lecturer once that looked just like him, though. Looked like Jesus, talked like John Lennon.
Gosh he was pretty.;)
Made a nice cup of tea, too.

lady_lazarus said:
talked like John Lennon.
You mean your lecturer was a hypocrite? ;)

robtex said:
Ventura is an athiest
Really? Huh, that is funny. I used to live in Minnesota...after my dad voted for Ventura, he was quite shocked to find out he won.

As for the face....I'm not seeing it. I can see lots of things in that photo, but not Jesus (and as Lightkeeper said, we don't even know what Jesus looks like).

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Mr_Spinkles said:
I just stepped back a few paces and looked again...it does kind of look like Jesus.

Oh no! Spinks will be getting religion now!:D

Seriously, if this is a miracle, why doesn't it look like the Sistine Chapel? Why isn't it a much more complete work of art? If the Sistine Chapel ceiling showed up somewhere, then I think I'd consider the possibility that something miraculous had taken place. But an ill-defined smudge?

Ceridwen018

I just stepped back a few paces and looked again...it does kind of look like Jesus.
I just spun around really fast for about 3 minutes and then looked at it with one of my eyes closed--that makes it REALLY look like Jesus! Try it guys!

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
It does kind of look like a face with what could be the crown of thorns if you walk back about 20 feet...

Lightkeeper

Sunstone said:
Oh no! Spinks will be getting religion now!:D

Seriously, if this is a miracle, why doesn't it look like the Sistine Chapel? Why isn't it a much more complete work of art? If the Sistine Chapel ceiling showed up somewhere, then I think I'd consider the possibility that something miraculous had taken place. But an ill-defined smudge?
Well, when you think about it, isn't our general understanding of life "an ill-defined smudge"?:)